Farming and fruits

Roving monsters would probably include triffids too, good point about making them grow in your crops though, the original triffids would just sprout anywhere and everywhere, they had dandelion-like seeds, except even better at dispersing. I think plunking a full-grown queen on someone would be a bit over the top though :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually there’s no reason we couldn’t make a/some bandit monster type(s) that avoids the bugginess of the NPC code.[/quote]
He has a point most bandits will not ask nicely for your shit first they would blow your brains out first

Yeah, but NPCs would have a better dynamic in that they’re not completely ignored by the hordes of zombies they attract by shooting at you.

Isn’t making NPCs good enough so you can form survivor communities? Right now they just sort of go around shooting at squirrels, but if you had a working communities/raider mechanic the game would get a thousand times cooler to me.
Also, I’m rather glad you look forward to support turtling, since that’s my favourite way of playing as well.

So basic want list:
Grow crops
’E’xamine crops to find its special, and interact with it (aka: watering/harvesting).
Crops have specials, like Hardiness or Fast Growing.
Cross-pollinating to combine specials into seeds using the nearby crafting menu.
Crops kill scent.

You should totally be able to get seeds out of marijuana.

Sure, why not? Also make it attract lightening x300%. Like toilets do.

Clearly it should depend on how long they have left the crop unattended. Actually, it’s some sort of heart that is at the center of a triffid nest, right? So that should be what grows. And the longer it’s left unattended…

So if you don’t prune your plants they become a triffid field?

[quote=“Ektor, post:23, topic:46”]Isn’t making NPCs good enough so you can form survivor communities? Right now they just sort of go around shooting at squirrels, but if you had a working communities/raider mechanic the game would get a thousand times cooler to me.
Also, I’m rather glad you look forward to support turtling, since that’s my favourite way of playing as well.[/quote]

I would love this feature to be in the game. If there were (extremely sparse) survivor communities they could offer rewards via missions (such as food, safe place to sleep, basic first aid) in return for you providing them with randomly selected items from raids. Perhaps they could offer shelter for ‘x’ days /nights upon completion, based on your inter-personal skills, and these colonies could steadily die out over the course of a game if not supplied? This would allow them to be set up rather simplistic - perhaps a simple community menu that opens up once you enter through the settlement entrance. I guess this is a different debate though.

I wouldn’t mind farming if it was added a long-term investment, but I think I’d prefer renewable foraging items for the balance of the game.

What about animal husbandry? I’d love to see squirrel and rabbit farms. Or a deer or cow farm.
Add different size lassoes for capturing the animals. lol squirrel lasso
You would need a pen, I think fences should have a [DOM-PASS:false] and add a [DOM] domesticated to animals. So one could have fences surrounding their little squirrels.

In all epic ness at its finest.

… Squirrel Farm!!!

[quote=“gtaguy, post:2, topic:46”]The only way I see of getting farming to work is with an entity, it would show as a friendly on-screen and have an intrinsic that spawns food in a 3x3 area around the plant. It doesn’t sound hard, goo canisters spawn entities so why not spawn an immovable entity for farming? There would be no skill for farming though, this idea is just a placeholder.

Maybe a “Foodbearing” mutation for people who are mutated like trees? This may also be how the entity spawns food.[/quote] What if you have farming skill that determins how it will grow at the start. Like when you have a farming skill of 0 you have a very low to no chance for it to produce food from the get go but you don’t know that.So you spend 30 days or so growing a plant to find out you get no food from it. You could increase this skill by farming, gathering wild plants, and other plant ativites. Now if you help the plant while growing like watering it, good sun light, ferterlizer, ect it increases it set chance to produse food. So if you got a -10 chance to grow food water it and it goes to -9 and you can’t redo that action for a set time. So that fixes begging turtilling adds skill to farming But I don’t know if that possible in the code

[quote=“gtaguy, post:2, topic:46”]The only way I see of getting farming to work is with an entity, it would show as a friendly on-screen and have an intrinsic that spawns food in a 3x3 area around the plant. It doesn’t sound hard, goo canisters spawn entities so why not spawn an immovable entity for farming? There would be no skill for farming though, this idea is just a placeholder.

Maybe a “Foodbearing” mutation for people who are mutated like trees? This may also be how the entity spawns food.[/quote]

There are much simpler technical implementations. When you plant a seed, you just create a plant item in the square, set its birthday to be some point in the future. Then you have the name/description of the plant item switch between different versions depending on how close you are to its birthday. When you pick up the plant, the game checks the plant’s birthday and then does whatever’s appropriate if you’re early/late/on-time. This is more or less how UrW does it.

If there are different crops then perhaps they do different things, like a radish growing in 3 weeks but not providing much and a potato growing for linger but providing more. magic crops are a different story and perhaps some rare items speed plant growth…