More seeds please

Its probably been suggested before, but Id like to see more seeds for farming.

I had a look through the recipes and noticed that a good portion of the stuff I could make wasn’t available to me because some of the ingredients just aren’t available after the first few days. Farming is pretty attractive as is for the ability to grow grains, but some more variety would be good. nothing too new, just seeds for stuff that exists in game already, sans some of the stuff that just doesn’t grow in the region cata takes place in.

Also, the ability to process some plants into seeds. things like potatoes and onions could last longer and be planted straight up as is, wild herbs could be processed into seeds for growing, what else, herbs. wild vegetables could be turned into random seeds,

Maybe with the right equipment you could set up pots or some kind of greenhouse which would allow for more exotic stuff.

just a small thing Id like to see, Id probably do it myself if I could figure out the modding tools. (the modding tools could do some of this right?)

Implementing new seeds is easy. It’s pretty much a copy+paste job.
The problem is, they will all use the same mechanic you currently see with existing seeds.

If you want to add new seeds, check out data/json/items/comestibles.json.
If I understand things correctly, as long as the fruit/vegetable you want to plant already exist, all it takes for seeds to be usable is adding a “seed_item-name-here” item with a “SEED” flag and then adding said seed to spawn groups in data/json/item_groups.json and items_generic.json.
This is all simple copy+paste + change some names and numbers.

Hardest part is learning how to send those changes as a PR, but there are readily available tutorials on how to use git.

Replanting tubers would be a bit hacky at the moment, because you’d have to add a recipe to convert them into seeds. Greenhouses would probably require quite a bit of work to implement, so better leave them for much later in development.

ah cool cool. Ill see what I can do then.

I actually did exactly what Coolthulhu explained some time ago, but the real difficulty really is the current - rudimentary - agriculture system. You’ll always have the same growing time, you’ll always get the actual food item and the according seed item and every kind of crop has to bee replanted every “growing season”.
In essence, agriculture is completely unrealistic in this game. But as we don’t have a better system, I guess adding some new seeds is a good idea regardless.

I actually did exactly what Coolthulhu explained some time ago, but the real difficulty really is the current - rudimentary - agriculture system. You'll always have the same growing time, you'll always get the actual food item and the according seed item and every kind of crop has to bee replanted every "growing season". In essence, agriculture is completely unrealistic in this game. But as we don't have a better system, I guess adding some new seeds is a good idea regardless.

Yeah, that’s why this game is called Cataclysm:Dark days ahead and not agriculture simulation 2000.

[quote=“Snaaty, post:5, topic:7726”]

I actually did exactly what Coolthulhu explained some time ago, but the real difficulty really is the current - rudimentary - agriculture system. You’ll always have the same growing time, you’ll always get the actual food item and the according seed item and every kind of crop has to bee replanted every “growing season”.
In essence, agriculture is completely unrealistic in this game. But as we don’t have a better system, I guess adding some new seeds is a good idea regardless.

Yeah, that’s why this game is called Cataclysm:Dark days ahead and not agriculture simulation 2000.[/quote]

Better system that is not tedious would be welcomed though. Not having to replant crop where it does not make sense, like with strawberries and blueberries is good idea.

Changing it to output berry bushes (that are harvestable annually) would be acceptable.

Just a though:

Is there any objection to realise agriculture through the construction menu? I’m not that knowledgeable about the codework in Cata, but to me it seems that it should be possible to just “construct” crop terrain (like the wild bushes we already have) on farmable soil. Once this “terrain” grows enough, it could turn into a “terrain” type that could be harvested through another construction.

To plant wheat - for example - you would have to:

1. Construction “Till soil”
Pretty much the same we already have

2. “Plant Wheat”
Requires a farming implement (hoe, shovel, etc.) and some wheat seeds
Turns a tile of tilled soil into “planted wheat” terrain

3. Waiting
The “planted wheat” terrain should turn into various stages of growth (similiar to what we already have with the current system) and finally into “harvestable wheat”.

3.B Maintenance (optional)
Maybe some plants could have some requirments (like cutting of branches or pulling out weed) to grow properly. Personally, I think that would be a tad to detailed, though.

4. “Harvest plant”
This construction would be similiar to “Deconstruct furniture”, only it that it solely “deconstructs” the crop terrain into useable goods, like wheat and wheat seeds. It would again require some tools (sickle, scythe, etc.)

While coding such a system would be rather tedious, it should be doable without to much complicated scripting (to my humble knowledge, at least). It would also make it possible to treat each plant differently: different growth cycles, some plants should be harvestable more than once, some shoul be harvestable annually, etc. You could also specify the “output” of a crop. While berries could directly give you fruit and seeds, other crops (like potatoes or even wheat) would give you just a base item which would then need to be processed further to get seeds or ediable parts.
While such a system would be more detailed, it wouldn’t really be to complicated (you could even do this with the interface we already have) and wouldn’t go into to much detailed stuff (like soil quality or whatever).

Construction is a rather hacky setup (much better than it was a few months ago though). I’m not sold on routing agriculture through it. Sorry.

tried to put in something small and simple to see how it works, broccoli seeds. unfortunately simple “copy an pasting” results in the broccoli being found, but a bunch of errors crop up saying that no definitions exist for other already existing items. also, the JSONS are a cluster fuck to read, at least to me.