Experimental SDL version uploaded for Windows

It is not a “crash”. The game is just calculating turns.
Although I agress it is better to have a “waiting…” window instead of freeze if it takes longer time on slow pc.

Yeah, it’s odd that it’s being considered non-responsive. Wonder what’s up with that. And I wonder how to make it realize that it’s NOT non-responsive…

Actually, I wonder if it’s maybe fast computers, not slow ones? Due to it being a tight loop, and all.

Well on windows 7 it is common. I have lots of games show a non-responsive status on the title bar while loading. The most annoying side effect is the window sometimes goes white or shifts by some pixels.

It can be fixed by adding some message processing lines in the loop to make the OS assume it is not “dead”.

Ah, THAT’S what I was thinking of. Perfect :). So… we just need a getch() or similar during the sleep loop? Which, ironically, will make the GDI version laggier.

Make a dummy function, for exmaple:

while(loop)
{
blahblah…
processmessage(); // let OS handle recent window event
}

If it is a curses version, you can just define an empty macro.

#if has_real_curses
#define processmessage()
#else
extern void processmessage();
#endif

Any new moddability in regards to the JSON files in this update?

Any idea what might be causing this?

What is your setting?

SDL,
C:…\cootue_curses_square_16x16.ttf

force_capital_yn T use_celsius T use_metric_system T no_bright_backgrounds F 24_hour 2 snap_to_target F safemode T safemodeproximity 20 autosafemode T autosafemodeturns 50 autosave F autosave_turns 30 autosave_minutes 5 gradual_night_light T rain_animation T circledist T query_disassemble T drop_empty 1 skill_rust 1 delete_world 0 initial_points 8 max_trait_points 12 initial_time 8 viewport_x 26 viewport_y 26 move_view_offset 0 static_spawn T classic_zombies F season_length 14 static_npc F random_npc F rad_mutation T save_sleep F

Hmm, looks like the font has a strange baseline value.
How does it look like in ordinary windows version?

[hr]

cataclysmdda-0.5.zip 879 B/s - 290 KB of 4.1 MB, 1 hour left http://ci.narc.ro/job/Cataclysm-Win32/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/cataclysmdda-0.5.zip
Facepalm, my download speed.

It’s a pretty girl this SDL, I’m sure the freckles will fade in time. A good effort and a serious playability upgrade, for sure - and I’m blaming Soron. :slight_smile:
I’ll make a run to my 128 meg machine and test it there also. I noticed some one-fifth increase in savegame (disk access-write payback) handling; just curious - how’d you manage that?

Blame/thank utunnels as well - they’re responsible for the initial code, I just got it cleaned up for inclusion in mainline.

Also, TheGrifter: no major changes to data files, as far as I’m aware.

[quote=“Slax, post:27, topic:1713”]^ is sort of a tricky thing on some keyboards, mine included. Shift+^ key, then space. Otherwise it doesn’t register.
You get used to it though. Eventually.[/quote]
For me it’s Alt Gr+2, then space…

[quote=“Máté, post:73, topic:1713”][quote=“Slax, post:27, topic:1713”]^ is sort of a tricky thing on some keyboards, mine included. Shift+^ key, then space. Otherwise it doesn’t register.
For me it’s Alt Gr+2, then space…[/quote]
Or you can always switch to enUS keyboard like I do with my czech keyboard.

[quote=“Drakasin, post:74, topic:1713”][quote=“Máté, post:73, topic:1713”][quote=“Slax, post:27, topic:1713”]^ is sort of a tricky thing on some keyboards, mine included. Shift+^ key, then space. Otherwise it doesn’t register.
For me it’s Alt Gr+2, then space…[/quote]
Or you can always switch to enUS keyboard like I do with my czech keyboard.[/quote]
But than the layout is so different I can’t find anything, but the letters by sight and even then, Z and Y are switched.

Its rather easy to learn (at least in my biased opinion). 'Though i use my normal Layout for playing CDD since i got used to it. Maybe i should switch. Decisions, decisions…

Edit: removed one too many quotes…

If you mean faster disk handling (I’m not sure I follow your statement), it’s a recent change unrelated to the SDL stuff, where the game was writing out overmaps to disk unnecessarally and very frequently. Quietust pinpoined it for me and I realized the offending code was unecessary.

So it’s not faster, it’s doing less disk accesses, which is even better ;D

The issue with inaccessible keybinds in non-US keyboards was reported already in a previous version (either 0.4 or 0.5) and was fixed back then. I don’t see why they won’t be willing and able to fix this new/old issue.

And considering that a lot (the majority?) of CataDDA’s player base isn’t in or from the US I’m sure they’ll get this sorted sooner than later. In fact, I think I saw something about this reported in github a few days back.

[quote author=Scheuche link=topic=1770.msg21669#msg21669 date=1371050339]

Its rather easy to learn (at least in my biased opinion). 'Though i use my normal Layout for playing CDD since i got used to it. Maybe i should switch. Decisions, decisions…

[quote=“utunnels, post:70, topic:1713”]Hmm, looks like the font has a strange baseline value.
How does it look like in ordinary windows version?[/quote]
Doesn’t matter what font I use. There’s always some sort of strangeness.

See the skewing?

Everything’s always been fine (even on MGS SDL binaries) but not with this.