Expanding Lore and Detail (Update: 8-4-13)

You should have received a PM with this information. I provided a link to a wiki page that has all the creatures laid out with the existing explanations.[/quote]

Heh, I recieved no such link, so that would explain everything. Anyway, I’ll be on it in a minute.

EDIT: Done and done.

You should have received a PM with this information. I provided a link to a wiki page that has all the creatures laid out with the existing explanations.[/quote]

Heh, I recieved no such link, so that would explain everything. Anyway, I’ll be on it in a minute.

EDIT: Done and done.[/quote]

Weird, sorry about that! Thanks for the work so far. I took a look and have made some edits to the Mosquito section so take a look at the changes when you can. I will look at the rest and edit soon.

I really like your work and I feel like you’re going to be a lot better when we move on to the more creative stuff. Is there a particular section you’re interested in? I’ve also been wanting to add some more content to the Evac Shelter Terminal (See the google doc for current content) and if you’re interested in doing something with that then we can discuss the direction.

Weird, sorry about that! Thanks for the work so far. I took a look and have made some edits to the Mosquito section so take a look at the changes when you can. I will look at the rest and edit soon.

I really like your work and I feel like you’re going to be a lot better when we move on to the more creative stuff. Is there a particular section you’re interested in? I’ve also been wanting to add some more content to the Evac Shelter Terminal (See the google doc for current content) and if you’re interested in doing something with that then we can discuss the direction.[/quote]

There aren’t any paricular sections I am interested in so far, though when the when the need to choose between different lores/descriptions will arise, I’ll make sure to inform you on which I would like to work the most. I’ll take a look at the Evac Shelter Terminal and see what I can think of.
Also, I am more than happy to help :slight_smile:

I really like your work and I feel like you’re going to be a lot better when we move on to the more creative stuff. Is there a particular section you’re interested in? I’ve also been wanting to add some more content to the Evac Shelter Terminal (See the google doc for current content) and if you’re interested in doing something with that then we can discuss the direction.[/quote]

There aren’t any paricular sections I am interested in so far, though when the when the need to choose between different lores/descriptions will arise, I’ll make sure to inform you on which I would like to work the most. I’ll take a look at the Evac Shelter Terminal and see what I can think of.[/quote]

Gotcha, I don’t just mean is there a particular creature section you’re interested in. Is there a certain section of the lore you want to work on? The Evac Terminal needs work and we have considered adding more content there but I have also talked with kev about adding “Diary Entries” that can be found lying around. Would you perhaps be interested in working on something like that?

There aren’t any paricular sections I am interested in so far, though when the when the need to choose between different lores/descriptions will arise, I’ll make sure to inform you on which I would like to work the most. I’ll take a look at the Evac Shelter Terminal and see what I can think of.[/quote]

Gotcha, I don’t just mean is there a particular creature section you’re interested in. Is there a certain section of the lore you want to work on? The Evac Terminal needs work and we have considered adding more content there but I have also talked with kev about adding “Diary Entries” that can be found lying around. Would you perhaps be interested in working on something like that?[/quote]

Heh, there aren’t any creature sections I would prefer. Though about the lore… as long as I can make my own stories/diary entries/notes/etc. based on my imagination and/or on predefined requirements (e.g. this survivor is crazy scientist that tried to sabotage that and that and did that and has been there and there and there he did there, now write a story/his diary entries/his lab notes etc.), I’ll be more than happy. In fact, any lore basically falls under that category, so whatever you’ll assign to me (be it Diary Entries, Lab Notes, Terminal Notes, Survivor Notes and whatever else there is) should be just fine :slight_smile:

I’m interested in adding details such as journals, notes, etc to labs, FEMA shelters, etc. I was looking at writing lab notes but there are already heaps of them.

Gotcha, I don’t just mean is there a particular creature section you’re interested in. Is there a certain section of the lore you want to work on? The Evac Terminal needs work and we have considered adding more content there but I have also talked with kev about adding “Diary Entries” that can be found lying around. Would you perhaps be interested in working on something like that?[/quote]

Heh, there aren’t any creature sections I would prefer. Though about the lore… as long as I can make my own stories/diary entries/notes/etc. based on my imagination and/or on predefined requirements (e.g. this survivor is crazy scientist that tried to sabotage that and that and did that and has been there and there and there he did there, now write a story/his diary entries/his lab notes etc.), I’ll be more than happy. In fact, any lore basically falls under that category, so whatever you’ll assign to me (be it Diary Entries, Lab Notes, Terminal Notes, Survivor Notes and whatever else there is) should be just fine :)[/quote]

Awesome. Let me check if Kevin or anyone has any input on what type of diary/journal entries we write. I believe we are going to want to do something from all sorts of people. This means we will need to work on having a different voice in a lot of the entries. I will update the thread shortly.

Would you guys be alright with some collaboration going on between the two of you?

Absolutely. Collaboration would work well for some stuff especially, perhaps even a series of emails back and forth between FEMA and Military, etc?

This! E-mails, journals written by 2+ people, etc. etc. would be great for collaboration!

Shall I create a separate thread for us to start writing, and people can comment/edit/etc on?

Negative Vorpal. I would like to keep all the lore stuff inside this thread. All the writing is occurring within the Google documents. Would you mind PMing me your email so I can add you to the documents as an editor?

Also: +1 to the email idea that is absolutely AWESOME. The emails will require more work since it will require a different type of implementation than the notes (Notes can just be randomly placed special items) so lets focus on what we have going on right now.

NOTE TO EVERYONE

OP has been updated

I’m proposing the following descriptions for the following enemies:

Necromancers:
Short:
A twisted, barely human creature that leaks an oily substance. It has no mouth, and cannot scream.

Long:
Its twisted body and light gray skin makes it difficult to believe this creatures was once human. Its mouthless face has almost melted into its neck, and small mounds of blackened flesh cover its naked body, oozing a thick black liquid. Where once they had eyes there are only two oily pits. Barbed ridges run down the back of their body, legs, and arms. The oily material almost congeals in it’s upraised palms, taking on a dark purple hue, and its fingers have merged into a single, sharp, stinger-like point. It seems to radiate a sickly energy, adding a strange sheen to the air around it and giving it an almost sickening color.

Behaviour: Will attempt to keep distance from player, unless player looks vulnerable. Approaches corpses.
Abilities: Greatly reduces the cooldown time on nearby corpses and regenerates the health of live zombies, including itself. Deals melee slashing damage and “slimes” the player, attracting other zombies.
Passive Abilities: Raises respawn of zombies in zone when off map, while alive and in population.

Basic zeds and skeletons to come…

Hi Glyph,

I re-wrote the introduction to the game recently and thought that I’d try my own version of your necro (not that there’s anything wrong with yours). I’m keen to help out with further writing duties if you can find a use for me!

Necro-zombie:

Short: A melted mockery of a human, glistening with a fetid black discharge. Occasionally it pauses and sniffs the air through distended, distorted nostrils desperately seeking the scent of flesh, living or dead.

Long: No one will know if this was once a sprightly young woman or an aging grandfather. This shambling, glistening insult to the human form has grossly distorted or obscured facial features: oily pits for eyes, a bubbling twisted pit for a mouth and the occasional glint of a yellowed tooth protruding out from chin or cheek. The dark oily substance that seems to coat the creature and emanate from blackened mounds dotting its body acquire a peculiar purplish sheen towards the hand area, where it’s fingers seem to have fused into a strange spear-like structure. A strange intensity overtakes the creature when it senses flesh: it wildly gesticulates its spear-arms and the very air itself seems to dance with a sickly energy.

Primarily interested in the dying and the dead upon which it seems to exert extraordinary effects beyond any obvious scientific explanation. Its interests are likely to include the player if he or she is obviously wounded or incapacitated.

It’s presence greatly decreases the cool-down time on nearby corpses and regenerates the health of live zombies, including itself. Deals melee, slashing damage with its fused fingers and arms and it may deposit some of its foul discharge on its target which may in turn attract more zombies.

I think yours is better than mine.

Something on skeletons?

A lurching skeletal figure whose bleached bones are held together with improbably thin black sinew and tendon.

This pile of bones seems more robotic than organic. It tirelessly seeks out the living to exact revenge for some untold-of affront. Without flesh it presents a smaller target to those seeking to halt its inexorable progress. Cutting weapons are ineffective as this creature is almost entirely comprised of hardened calcium. Without any organic padding, pure mechanical force is bluntly effective however in reducing the skeleton to its component bones.

We’re tossing about the idea of changing skeletons to burned zombies, and having fires be a natural cause of their creation.

Basic zombies vary considerably but have certain features in common: they are repulsive, foul-smelling and repugnant creatures whose only observable purpose is to rend, tear and consume the flesh of the living.

Zombies come in all shapes and sizes. Although they are predominantly human, a limited selection of other species also seems amenable to zombification including domestic dogs. Their appearance is unpleasant to say the least. Many bear open, mortal wounds. Many display putrid open sores. Some appear as reanimated scientific dissections due to the extent of their skin loss and dismemberment. They all wear the vacant stare of the dead. All past hopes and aspirations are reduced to the solitary mandate: to find and consume the living.

They appear to have a keen sense of smell and are particularly attracted by noise. They have only the most primitive levels of intelligence and this may be exploited: they no longer seem to possess any sense of self-preservation and will happily charge through open fire or into the path of heavy machinery.

I’ll help out with anything and all you need.

My email is : claytonmccray@gmail.com

You’ve been added to the Diary document and should receive an email shortly. Welcome to the project. Let me know if you have any questions.