Efficient way of clearing forest?

I’ve tried hacking at bushes and felling trees, but that takes forever. I’ve tried high explosives but that doesn’t seem to work very well and I’d run out of ammunition long before I made a path. I suppose I could try to burn the forest down or find a nuclear launch facility and nuke it, but that seems like it would create more problems than it solves… besides, there’s a tribe of NPCs living in my forest that I’d rather not murder. Maybe there’s some way of building a vehicle that can smash a path?

You need something at least one tile wider than your vehicle on each side with preferably three tiles of buffer on each side going at least 80 MPH. That said in my experience just speeding through at 80 MPH works fine.

What do you mean by three tiles of buffer? This sounds promising.

Ever seen the plow on the RMCC? Three tiles of “Frame” that’ll soak up the damage before it gets to vital bits. Still hurts the unprotected parts though

I don’t know what an RMCC is, but I think I get the idea. I’ll try it! Thanks :slight_smile:

Ryndren Mobile Command Center

…I need to update this eventually.

I think my vehicle wasn’t suited for the task. It spun out and tore itself to pieces under me.

Clearly the solution is to build bigger.

Just a big fat armored ram at the front that is a few tiles wider than your vehicle is plenty, you want decent driving skill to not spin out as easy as well.

Maybe my driving isn’t high enough, I dunno. Tried again with a much bigger vehicle and a giant ram and it still shredded the whole vehicle to pieces before I went twenty squares.

Nuclear missiles? :stuck_out_tongue:

For general transportation, 4-5 driving skill is good, if you’re going to be colliding with tons of heavy stuff, I’d suggest 8+.
Generally the only way to clear a forest is spend a year (or two) cutting it down, burn it, or construct a giant tree bulldozing vehicle, get it going really fast and hope for the best.

Having extra wheels everywhere helps, having a 4-5 tile long and wide frame at the front is useful, but plating it with armor is essential.

Oh, you mean a road through an actual forest? Ok, you are probably not going to be able to do that easily with cars.

BURN IT

[quote=“Aluminumfoil, post:7, topic:3855”]I think my vehicle wasn’t suited for the task. It spun out and tore itself to pieces under me.

Clearly the solution is to build bigger. [/quote]

…Or was it 50 MPH… I’ve gotten through a forest with 0 driving skill before, maybe vehicle size/weight effects it. (Never used anything long-term smaller than a stock RV)

A great blow has been struck for freedom this day. Never again will my car have to stay at home when I want to go swimming!

0.9 seems to have made cars vastly more durable (at the expense of some handling, I think?). Enough so that I was mostly able to smash my way through the narrowest parts of the offending forest. I still had to get out several times to clear brush or fell trees when my car got stuck, and it’s not a direct road, but it’s a great improvement!

Your giant land barge may be able to punch through all in one go, in this version.

PS: Bill says he wants to go swimming, too. Are amphibious vehicles something that’s planned for future versions?

I belive boats are on the todo list at least.

Wait what? Tribe of npcs? What version are you on? I haven’t seen npcs in forever, and the few times I did on the old versions, it was just when some random dick would try to rob me.

I think he means that a bunch of NPCs are in the forest, since NPCs right now are dumb as all heeelllll.

0.9 release candidate. They seem to have dispersed a little of late, but about ten of them were congregated in the forest southwest of my shelter at one point. Perhaps they had a falling out.

My map.

Same map, with annotations.

[quote=“Aluminumfoil, post:19, topic:3855”]0.9 release candidate. They seem to have dispersed a little of late, but about ten of them were congregated in the forest southwest of my shelter at one point. Perhaps they had a falling out.

My map.

Same map, with annotations.

Ah, so you live in a LMOE? Make sure you put up steel frames with flashlights headlights everywhere…