Drop gear for combat?

I read that body part encumbrances lowers combat effectiveness. I thought it would be a good idea to drop gear right before a zombie fight and then pick it up once the fight is over. However, if I drop something like a backpack to lower encumbrance, I will likely throw myself into the red volume-wise. Is the only option to drop my individual inventory items first and then the backpack, all individually?

I ask because I played a game called 7.62 which also had a complex inventory system, complete with both weight and volume limitations. However, instead of worn gear (like a backpack) contributing to a volume “stat,” the backpack actually had an inventory of its own, complete with “sections” of limited volume and “shape” and items which had their own volume and “shape” physically indicated in squares. So if you needed to lose some weight fast before a battle, you just dropped the backpack on the ground and anything in the backpack went with it, ready to be picked up just as you left it after (or during) the battle.

Another related question: how do vehicles and inventory work? I remember Soldiers: Heroes of WWII had vehicles with an inventory which was limited by volume only.

Ideally you drop your backpack and an equivalent of the backpack’s carrying capacity in items in the same action. Since that will only take as much time as dropping a single item.

Vehicle volume is limited only by the individual carrying capacity of each vehicle piece, which you can see by examining your car. However, carrying a lot of weight can reduce the efficiency of your car.

How do I drop multiple items at once? I hit D and selected all the items I wanted to drop, but all it did was queue it up. Time still passed as I took it off and the zombies pummeled me.

-You press “D”
-Your inventory should appear.
-To select which items to drop you press the letter that appears besides each inventory entry. You can also select which items to drop by using arrow keys( “up and down” navigate the list and “right” selects and deselect, and “left” switches between your worn and wielded items and the items inside your inventory )
-Once you select the items you press enter and its done.

You can also drop specific amounts of a certain item if you type a number before selecting the item.

Right, but after I do that, it takes many, many turns to drop all of the items, to the point where nearby zombies have enough time to close in and kill me.

On that note, can I just store stuff in my car’s trunk? How do I do this? If I hit “e” and point to the trunk, I go into the main car menu.

Currently, yes. As I understand it, something like what you are talking about (assigning items to individual containers) is desired and may indeed by implemented… eventually. It is certainly requested regularly.

Drop worn backpacks and duffle bags, and pray that your grenades or cocaine dont fall out.

takes 2 turns.

[quote=“pisskop, post:8, topic:11456”]Drop worn backpacks and duffle bags, and pray that your grenades or cocaine dont fall out.

takes 2 turns.[/quote]Latest experimental. Basically, what’s changed since the last release in the experimental: going in the Red for volume is no longer possible. Dropping storage items causes other items in your bag to tumble to the ground randomly. This makes panic-dropping your stuff a much safer method, though you have to worry anyway because you can’t assign your non-combat-essential gear to that one item you want to ditch for a fight.

say. What is the decision process for what gets dropped and what doesn’t?
volume? Alphabetical? inventory listing? random/RNG’s love or hatred of you?

[quote=“vassock, post:6, topic:11456”]On that note, can I just store stuff in my car’s trunk? How do I do this? If I hit “e” and point to the trunk, I go into the main car menu.[/quote] Trunks and other in-vehicle storage means don’t count as an individual “inventory” or “storage space”; they are more similar to the floor, which you can then (e)xamine for a list of items that can be found on that tile.

In other words, (D)ropping an item inside a trunk (H) is the same as dropping it on the floor, except that “floor” moves with the vehicle (items don’t fall off) and when you (e)xamine it you can choose whether you want to see the item list itself (“Get items”) or the whole vehicle menu.

Try standing next to a car trunk and (D)ropping an item “on” it. After you’re done, (e)xamine it to take it out of the trunk, or leave it there if you want to store it inside the car.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:10, topic:11456”]say. What is the decision process for what gets dropped and what doesn’t?
volume? Alphabetical? inventory listing? random/RNG’s love or hatred of you?[/quote]

That’s a very good question.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:10, topic:11456”]say. What is the decision process for what gets dropped and what doesn’t?
volume? Alphabetical? inventory listing? random/RNG’s love or hatred of you?[/quote]

RNG. Bigger items are more likely to fall out.

So it is RNG based on item size?

So it would work like this then: ?

A - 1 vol

B - 2 vol

C - 3 vol

A = 1 chance to fall out
B = 2 chances to fall out
C = 3 chances to fall out

Sort of like how many tickets one has in the lottery= chance to win/total tickets? (exempting no winner lotteries)