'Don't Bruise' and 'Dense Bones' traits

I, like many other people, just simply don’t bruise. I don’t know if it’s a medical thing or what, but I just don’t bruise unless a bone is actually broken. I’m thinking that this could be a starting trait that would lower the amount of pain received from injuries?

My doctor has also told me that my bone density is nearly twice that of most people and that is why 4x4’s falling off of roofs won’t break bones, or wrecking my bike doesn’t break anything. I’ve never actually had a fractured bone, just broken joints(which are naturally weak to begin with). I’m thinking that this would also be a good trait to have and would decrease your chance to break and arm or a leg and need a splint and would also decrease damage taken by like 10%.

Any thoughts?

What does bruise mean? I connect it with injury . Like i say i bruised my hand … meaning i scratched it open and it is bleeding.
I would mostly connect it with smal subcutaneous bleeding. What does it have to do with bones?

So how would this differ from Tough?
Atm limbs only brake when at below zero hp, so I don’t see real benefits from Tough.

Maybe you d get some natural dmg resistence like with thick skinn? Just with this vs bashing dmg?

[quote=“Valpo, post:2, topic:9940”]What does bruise mean? I connect it with injury . Like i say i bruised my hand … meaning i scratched it open and it is bleeding.
I would mostly connect it with smal subcutaneous bleeding. What does it have to do with bones?[/quote]

I don’t know why i only bruise when i break a bone, just that that’s the only time it ever happens. I’ve only bruised like 4 times in my life. Just trying to find a way to translate that into a trait.

And bruising is when you have damaged the vessels and muscles in an area without breaking the skin, so that the blood simply spreads under the skin instead and usually results in a painful swelled area. but if you are someone who doesn’t bruise, then you dont get that painful spot. therefor impacts hurt less and heal faster.

Everyone gets that spot give enough force.

What effect do you envision gameplaywise?

edit:

I must have missed what you wrote at the end.

10% less dmg from all sources you mean?

Maybe should only have it aply vs bashing dmg.

[quote=“troll from behind, post:3, topic:9940”]So how would this differ from Tough?
Atm limbs only brake when at below zero hp, so I don’t see real benefits from Tough.[/quote]

As the troll from behind sayed. reducing the chance to break isn t possible in the current gamesystem as limbs always break at 0 health no chances involved.

A different word for bruise could be contusion - maybe that helps a bit, because most people use ‘bruise’ as a generic very small injury nowadays :slight_smile:

As for the trait itself - A bruise/contusion is usually caused by blunt trauma ; you hit yourself with a hammer, you ram into something by accident, you fall off, you get the Idea. Therefore it should probably work like thick-skinned, but with bashing/blunt damage instead of cutting damage.

As for the other ideas so far, they are all more or less covered with the following traits:
Fast Healer, Pain resistent, Tough.

To put it in perspective, if you >would< make a ‘Thick bones’ trait with all the effects stated before, it would probably cost >at least< 6 points, which is a bit much in our current Trait-system ; However, the cost would decrease to 1-2 points if its only a variation of thick-skinned.

Edit:

[quote=“Valpo, post:6, topic:9940”][quote=“troll from behind, post:3, topic:9940”]So how would this differ from Tough?
Atm limbs only brake when at below zero hp, so I don’t see real benefits from Tough.[/quote]

As the troll from behind sayed. reducing the chance to break isn t possible in the current gamesystem as limbs always break at 0 health no chances involved.[/quote]
While there is no way of reducing the chance of breaking bones, there is definitely the indirect route - get more HP, either from traits or from strength, and you CAN influence broken bones, simply because you make the chance of an enemy hitting your limb less dangerous :wink:

[quote=“Kadian, post:7, topic:9940”]A different word for bruise could be contusion - maybe that helps a bit, because most people use ‘bruise’ as a generic very small injury nowadays :slight_smile:

As for the trait itself - A bruise/contusion is usually caused by blunt trauma ; you hit yourself with a hammer, you ram into something by accident, you fall off, you get the Idea. Therefore it should probably work like thick-skinned, but with bashing/blunt damage instead of cutting damage.

As for the other ideas so far, they are all more or less covered with the following traits:
Fast Healer, Pain resistent, Tough.

To put it in perspective, if you >would< make a ‘Thick bones’ trait with all the effects stated before, it would probably cost >at least< 6 points, which is a bit much in our current Trait-system ; However, the cost would decrease to 1-2 points if its only a variation of thick-skinned.

Edit:

[quote=“Valpo, post:6, topic:9940”][quote=“troll from behind, post:3, topic:9940”]So how would this differ from Tough?

As the troll from behind sayed. reducing the chance to break isn t possible in the current gamesystem as limbs always break at 0 health no chances involved.[/quote]
While there is no way of reducing the chance of breaking bones, there is definitely the indirect route - get more HP, either from traits or from strength, and you CAN influence broken bones, simply because you make the chance of an enemy hitting your limb less dangerous ;)[/quote]

Alright, I like the idea of use ‘Contusion resistant’ as a blunt trauma version of thick skinned.

Keep in mind (when trying to figure out balance) that monster damage is mostly blunt and it’s harder to get protection from blunt damage,

“Thick bones” might increase limb HP and leave torso and head HP alone. (head wounds aren’t broken bones, thickness of skull doesn’t help against cuncussions)

I like Kevin’s idea, as it is the most different from the other traits we already have implemented in-game. Contusion resistant as blunt damage protection is alright too.

Would we want to consider opposing negative traits for these as well? Or are those already covered by frail and it’s ilk?