Diversity, and lack there of, in firearms

Personally, I love having a selection of items to choose from. I’d like to see the firearms list expanded. Not necessarily to fill in any gaps per se, but just more for flavor. As is, there’s a decent selection of guns in the game, I’d like to see more though. Redundant or not.

I know there isn’t much a difference in a glock 17 and a glock 19, but it’s little details like that that I like.

We had a thread not too long ago about people getting confused by the differing firearms, USP v. Glock differences, etc. Solution seemed to be tagging each gun with a code to let people know what sort of weapon it is.

Adding more guns for the sake of having more guns can be neat–Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 has shitloads of them already and quite a few pages of gun requests. Problem is, they’ve got a finished codebase and are basically working to expand mod functionality. DDA seems like it’s got a ways to go before it reaches that point.

(There is the whole “graphics” thing, too. Tougher to get mixed up when they show you a picture of the gun.)

Short version I’m not unsympathetic but I’m not sure this is the best time to add additional pistols, etc for the sake thereof. If for some reason a new pistol had to come in, I’d suggest something like the Glock 18* or Beretta 93R: a handgun with burst capability.

*I think the 18’s got a three-shot burst?

Nope. Glock 18’s got full auto capability. An amazing rate of fire to boot.
JA2 1.13 does indeed have some interesting weapon mechanics. Durability, reliability, range, damage output versus recoil, handling speed, overheating… the list just goes on and on and it all blends together really well. Cataclysm would need a big ol’ overhaul before such things come into play though. As it stands, a 5.56 rifle barely has any range at all, relative to realistic standards.

Sigh.

I, for one, thinks that we got too many guns. I keep having to to the wiki to look them up. If you want more guns, I think it’d be fairly easy to do it as a mod.

I personally think there’s a good balance, at present.

A tip for you: Look them up on Wikipedia instead of the cataclysm wiki. It helps you get a better feel for how they look and what they are.

Also remember that when you walk into a gun store, rifles are on the left wall, shotguns and pistols are in the two free-standing racks, with shotguns to the left, the far wall has various equipment, and the shelves behind the counter have ammo on the left and submachine guns on the right.

behind the little counters that hinder visibility there isn’t ever anything.

Why would you need a wiki at all? It’s all just numbers. Everything you need is already in the game.

Mostly because I find it easier than looking up each one of the 30 guns in the gun shop individually.

Not quite true.

In the back there’s a shooting range, which very rarely has some really good weapons.

Someone show me a quick way to add guns and I’ll fill the arsenal up real nice. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before.

World Gen Arsenal: [ ] - Normal [X] - Surplus Overload
Mmm…

[quote=“Slax, post:11, topic:874”]Someone show me a quick way to add guns and I’ll fill the arsenal up real nice. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before.

Mmm…
[/quote]

There’s no quick way right now, but soon the item management patch will drop, which’ll make it a lot easier.

[quote=“Slax, post:11, topic:874”]Someone show me a quick way to add guns and I’ll fill the arsenal up real nice. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before.

Mmm…
[/quote]

Please do. PLEASE DO!

The initial item management drop is in, but unfortunately it only supports melee weapons at the moment (firearms are special).

Hopefully we’ll be there pretty soon, though, and then stuff like this will be as easy as sticking in a file of extra weapon definitions and a file describing where they should spawn.