Deleting Items

Is there any way to delete items or do I have to find a way in-game?

I am relatively new to Cataclysm DDA and had an NPC “follower” steal valuable items from my base (ammo and weapons) when I led them in, intending to have them stay and guard. I decided to use the debug menu to wish for the items that were stolen rather than buy them all back. However, somehow I managed to accidentally give myself massive amounts of ammo. Specifically I put in 80 for the amount for most of the ammo types (since I couldn’t figure out how to see the amount of each ammo type the NPC had in the trade menu) and got 2000, 4000, etc. in return (as much as 200000 in the case of the BB’s). I don’t know of anyway to easily dispose of the extra ammo in-game, and I haven’t found a way to delete the items with the debug menu.

Throw them in a fire and run like hell.

What possibly happened was that you gave yourself 80 stacks of each ammo. Examine each ammo type if it mentions ‘default stack size’. It’s probably anything between 10-200.

You can destroy just about any item if you drive over it with a car repeatedly. Clothes and such can be burned. Explosions damage/destroy any item. Acid, too, can destroy most items. You could just dump the unwanted items in deep water, or lava. I’m not aware of any debug option that could be used for deletion.

Ah, so it’s in stacks… It makes so much sense now. Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try some out and hopefully avoid blowing myself up.

Toss whatever you don’t want into a rift. Or into a river. Works as well.

Fires have a habit of not burning as much as I’d like them to, so I stick to rivers. If you ever debug in liquids in the future, be aware they don’t all come in a bottle, so if you drop a stack of 20 applejuice, it’s a puddle on the ground you can’t recover.

Oddly, one has no trouble keeping the loose liquids in their inventory otherwise.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:6, topic:9964”]If you ever debug in liquids in the future, be aware they don’t all come in a bottle, so if you drop a stack of 20 applejuice, it’s a puddle on the ground you can’t recover.

Oddly, one has no trouble keeping the loose liquids in their inventory otherwise.[/quote]

Or, you could simply press f before you spawn anything. pressing f will cause the items to spawn inside their respective container, usually a bottle, a plastic bag or a cardboard box. If the item does not have a container associated with it it wil still spawn like normal, so you usually want to have this option active.

You can try acid bombs, which can be a bit time consuming. If you have a car, you can run it over a few times to destroy the items (the item has to be run over by the tile that has the wheel).

Debug menu version:
Spawn a shoggoth, wait one turn (it eats up all items on the tile with no restrictions), wreck it.
Easiest wrecking is with debug menu monster kill command, but it kills everything else. A more convoluted way would be to buff strength to 1000, one-hit the shoggoth and then bring it back to old levels.

I think I’d take that NPC out back with the few thousand extra rounds and have some target practice. When it’s dead, then drop all the extra ammo on the corpse, dump down some gasoline and toss a matchbox bomb on it. from a few tiles away.

Made this issue: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/12908

This brought up an possible fix for your problem. Drop all items you want to get rid off, and use the following Lua command in the debug menu ‘map:i_clear(player:pos())’ (without the ’ of course). This deletes the items on the map at the players position.