Deconstructing walls

So I’ve taken over a very nicely placed mansion and have a good little raidmobile and a solar powered SUV gone utility vehicle and I’d love to be able to remove the outer wall in the room by my bedroom for ease of unloading and a roofed garage for wet morale reasons.

It would be alot safer and alot easier if I can just deconstruct because I’d prefer not to have the roof come down on me head. It this possible?

[quote=“noname1208, post:1, topic:12788”]So I’ve taken over a very nicely placed mansion and have a good little raidmobile and a solar powered SUV gone utility vehicle and I’d love to be able to remove the outer wall in the room by my bedroom for ease of unloading and a roofed garage for wet morale reasons.

It would be alot safer and alot easier if I can just deconstruct because I’d prefer not to have the roof come down on me head. It this possible?[/quote]

I don’t think you can do it currently, but it wouldn’t be the most unrealistic thing to have around. Some construction deconstruction options would make sense. Maybe not tearing down walls, but building a door over one to mimic cutting a hole and installing a door might be reasonable. It’d make sense to be able to disassemble things like sandbag barriers and walls instead of bashing them until they explode as well.

I’d be in favor of it as long as it was REALLY loud, and took a significant amount of time, to discourage cheese like deconstructing walls during a night raid to get into a place. Limits to what can be deconstructed too, to keep people from casually taking apart a bank vault and whatnot. Otherwise, it offers a safer alternative to “I’m going to sledgehammer my way through this wall”.

I can understand not being able to just deconstruct concrete and metal walls (one because it’s not really feasible and two because of banks and labs and bunkers like you said), but wooden walls are fairly easy to do so.

Also I went into my test world and smashed a mansion with a sledge and it makes nails, splintered wood, and rock. So I assume it isn’t really going to be a possibility to deconstruct that one. Houses though

Turning a wall into a door sounds good.
If you have the right tools, why shouldn’t you be able to take down a metal wall either? If there are diamond weapons, why not diamond drills? :stuck_out_tongue:
http://www.gnatuk.com/diamond-drilling-sawing/case-study-bank-vault

Though i guess it makes sense if the wall is thicker than your tool.

I was thinking about metal walls and the acetylene torches we find in some places should be capable of disassembling them.

Wall deconstruction was never implemented because it doesn’t play nice with roofs.
That is, you either go full DF and allow 1 wall to lift a whole fortress, don’t allow wrecking walls at all, or invent some sane compromise.

Hm, that does make sense.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:6, topic:12788”]Wall deconstruction was never implemented because it doesn’t play nice with roofs.
That is, you either go full DF and allow 1 wall to lift a whole fortress, don’t allow wrecking walls at all, or invent some sane compromise.[/quote]

Is there a way to know what walls are actually holding up the roof? Because at times there is the slight issue where you decide you want a hole in the wall and decide to wreck it only to realize that that wall was holding up the roof. Basically, if we know what is needed to hold the roof up, we can smash whatever wall that isn’t.

No.
Roof support is a giant hack that randomly picks if each roof tile has enough support.
It can actually result in roofs that hang with no support.

Can we go full DF then until someone turns cata into a proper architecture simulation?
Together with the broken digging code it’s like half the game is currently inaccessible.

I’m not sure what the code looks like, but what if it were made to be something like
((numbers are just thoughts, not hard ideas and code is just to get thought across))

[
if (walldistance <= 7)
end()

else
roofcollapse;
];

Or whatever those terms would be

Basically give the roof a wall within a required distance and it stays up

you mean the roof tile must be connected over at most x other roof tiles? i like that idea.
and maybe eventually we can build noob and advanced roofs that are stable over different distances.
on the other hand - i still want buildings to partially collapse when i drive through them, so this needs to be balanced well. maybe have crashing roof tiles take down some adjacent ones with them.

fyi you can use [co‬de] [/co‬de] bbcode :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah I see about the code thing

Yeah mostly, I like your idea about how better construction roofs can hold over longer distances. Possibly they could take more materials and need a higher level too.

It would have to be something like it has to be connected to adjacent roofs as well as being within a certain number of tiles away from a wall, or similarly build construction ex: door or window because their sides are double beamed irl

When I had a house fire, the way they disassembled the (not even fire damaged at all) walls was with a big ole sledgehammer.

Well of course you could still do that, the problem is the whole roof thing. What you’re talking about is doing something like taking apart a fridge cata for example. You can smash it for the rubber hose you need, or you can deconstruct it for the other materials too