Dark Days Before? (Cataclysm in alternate time periods)

So would anybody be interested in seeing Cataclysm (or even total conversion of Cataclysm) taking place in a different time period? I’d love to see a medieval or renaissance version of cataclysm, possibly with a few more traditional fantasy elements (maybe the Nether is Faery/Arcadia or Hell instead?) without going full Dungeons and Dragons. Swords and such being more common weapons with bows being the primary ranged weapon (maybe even early firearms). Professions like Knight, Hunter, Logger, Baker, Farmer. Bionics are… I dunno. I would say spells, but that would be a lot more fantasy. A fantasy total conversion could be cool though…

You guys have ideas of how other time periods would work? Cataclysm: Prohibition? Cataclysm IN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE?

Fetishizing the past stalls modern day progress. Nostalgia for vaguely-remembered times that never were blinkers the present. Futurism glosses over the obstructions of the present. To wish for anything beyond the present is the daydream of the delusional optimist.

Also I guess all that stuff sounds like cool ideas for the mod manager maybe.

I say if your going full conversion, go full fantasy.

Bionics = Clockworks
Mutations = Curses
Firearms = Bows/Crossbows/Early Firearms
UPS = Magical Focus of some sort
Laser/Fusion Weaponry = Wizard Staves

Imagine this:

You are a farmer, born and raised on a massive space-station orbiting a gas-giant distant from Earth. It is a giant artificial world- nay-world, with freelance-industries building out in all directions as they please, farms contained in bubbles separate from the rest of the station, massive residential areas, multi-story malls and hotels. Branches spread out in all directions from old commercial areas and bankrupt industries.

Recently, some explorers out to preform a geo-survey on a nearby moon have contracted some kind of mysterious decease, that has spread all over the station. You are lucky that you are a farmer on the outskirts, or you would have fallen curse to the infection as well…

Then you play the game. Sound fun, yeah?

[quote=“Logrin, post:3, topic:4886”]I say if your going full conversion, go full fantasy.

Bionics = Clockworks
Mutations = Curses
Laser/Fusion Weaponry = Wizard Staves[/quote]

THIS

TO THE MODDING SECTION! but naw, fantastic concept and would like to see this as a mod or something

I think the only theme that would be able to conjure enough content would be medieval fantasy, or steam punk.

And I’m all down for having to cast a fireball at a group of “Zombie Footmen” coming at me in chainmail armor haha.

[quote=“Logrin, post:3, topic:4886”]I say if your going full conversion, go full fantasy.

Bionics = Clockworks
Mutations = Curses
Laser/Fusion Weaponry = Wizard Staves[/quote]

I would love to see this!

EDIT: Please move to Drawing Board or the Lab.

Heh, I remember throwing around the idea of making magic staves in my head. I kinda like the magic as bionics more so you need some skills to use the magic and you don’t need a staff. Though making staffs increase the power of your magic… That’d be cool.

Just thought of this…

Instead of installing bionics the player could perform rituals from ((What else?)) Ritual Tomes. This would check a Rituals skill just like our current bionics does and do the rest of the calculations from there. Please the powers that be and be empowered! ((Successful Installation)) Displease them and risk getting more than you’d bargained for ((Failed Installation))

Instead of mutagen the player could use alchemy ((Cooking)), earthly remains and mystical reagents to birth an animus, all so that he might graft the artificial soul to his own.

Yeah, that’s what almost exactly what was thinking with the bionics as magic.

Oooh, and the idea for the artificial soul sounds really cool! I’d keep the Cooking skill as cooking though, though change the description of it to suggest that it assists with alchemical shenanigans.

I think Inadequate is waxing poetic with some Tears in the Rain, Old World Blues bullshit. Which I actually missed my first time around because I skipped over it.

That said, I think a medieval cataclysm might be an alright Total Conversion Mod. Particularly if it was set in 1400s France.

Imagine the scene, a French fortress, overlooking the town of Versailles. A captain and his second in command overlook a horde of zombies shambling towards their fortifications.

“Mon Dieu! Zese peasants are trying to revolt! So crude are they, they have no weapons! Boil the oil, we shall deal with this before lunch.”
“Non Capitan! Ze peasants, zey look ill! So sick that they look to be the dead, returned to haunt us. BOIL THE OIL. WE SHALL DEAL WITH THESE WRETCHES POSTHASTE.”

(I may have used this thread solely to write bad french accents.)

I think Inadequate is waxing poetic with some Tears in the Rain, Old World Blues bullshit. Which I actually missed my first time around because I skipped over it.

That said, I think a medieval cataclysm might be an alright Total Conversion Mod. Particularly if it was set in 1400s France.

Imagine the scene, a French fortress, overlooking the town of Versailles. A captain and his second in command overlook a horde of zombies shambling towards their fortifications.

“Mon Dieu! Zese peasants are trying to revolt! So crude are they, they have no weapons! Boil the oil, we shall deal with this before lunch.”
“Non Capitan! Ze peasants, zey look ill! So sick that they look to be the dead, returned to haunt us. BOIL THE OIL. WE SHALL DEAL WITH THESE WRETCHES POSTHASTE.”

(I may have used this thread solely to write bad french accents.)[/quote]

+1
Doesn’t matter, I was entertained

That should be a doable mod for items since items are in jsons. However,

Either eliminate cars or overhaul. Overhaul is alot of work.

It would be alot of work reolacing buildings