Current State of NPCS

Hi, I haven’t played since 0.7, have NPCs been updated any at all? Any cool settlements they have, or FEMA camps they inhabit? On my radio in the current build I hear a broadcast from a FEMA camp but I’m thinking its just a loop, and that specific FEMA camp is filled with zombies. Anyway this game would get even more diverse than it already is if they do an NPC update.

As far as I know they are still a work in progress, crash bugs occur a lot with NPCs enabled.

Ug. Why wont fullscreen work? Its turned on.

Need to reboot game between graphics changes, if your height or width is set higher than your resolution will allow the game will fail to start if it’s set to fullscreen.

There isnt a height and width to set anymore… and after saving the changes and restarting the game absolutely nothing happened

[quote=“Moral Grey Area, post:1, topic:6178”]Hi, I haven’t played since 0.7, have NPCs been updated any at all? Any cool settlements they have, or FEMA camps they inhabit? On my radio in the current build I hear a broadcast from a FEMA camp but I’m thinking its just a loop, and that specific FEMA camp is filled with zombies. Anyway this game would get even more diverse than it already is if they do an NPC update.[/quote]I haven’t had any problems with NPC related crashes lately, but while I always play with them turned on I always end up just killing them because they’re a pain to have as followers. Pretty much the only things that need fixed to have NPCs basically playable is “stay here” and “don’t loot” commands.

npc is for me a good source of good weapons and items last time i was lucky and npc atacked me with pneumatic rifle
pneumatic rifle is awesome weapon with some skills it can kill zombear with 2 shoots

alslo traveling merchant npc have good things too you can buy it or kill him or wait for zombies/wildlife to kill him

Seriously??? When I turned them on I got constant crashes… Do you play with static or v random NPCs on?

in both static and dynamic npc spawn normaly just sometimes npc head explode without reason

Their heads explode if they get stuck in a constant loop, say, trying to reload their gun with nonexistent ammo, after enough turns of performing the same action they go pop.

Their heads explode if they get stuck in a constant loop, say, trying to reload their gun with nonexistent ammo, after enough turns of performing the same action they go pop.[/quote]LOL that totally reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsORoY8srk8

There has been a fair bit of work on NPC’s, however most of it is behind-the-scenes stuff (resulting in a fair bit less crashes than before). IIRC currently the remaining big issues are:

1. Disease handling - which is currently being worked on
  2. Inventory handling - which has been touched a little but not fixed yet
  3. AI issues - which needs a lot of work
  4. Quest framework stuff - which needs #2-3 to be done first
    There’s also several other, smaller issues, but many of them shouldn’t be too big of an effort to fix. We have already done most of the work to move NPC’s and players to the same behind-the-scenes framework, which means we can just call a single function regardless of if it’s a player or NPC, the failure to do so being the old cause of a huge portion of NPC crashes.

So yes, a lot of work has been done, but most of it you won’t notice except that they will crash somewhat less. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s cool! Glad to know NPCs are getting lots of attention! They really excite me personally :3

You guys rock btw

But if I don’t notice it that means it didn’t happen. You’re outside my reality bubble, iamroy.