Cthul stuff - my mods/PRs that aren't yet in game

[quote=“Ivefan, post:20, topic:8412”]Alright. So it cannot be used as a viewport.
Would it be possible to code a camera, presumably with a reduced visible angle, that would basically work like moving the player to where the camera is, except that the body is somewhere else?[/quote]

I want to make ranged cameras a thing eventually.
I see it like this: remote vehicle controller will get the option to center the vision on the vehicle and to get camera signal (at reduced quality, say half the range).

One thing that probably will not happen for quite a bit of time: cameras letting you see things outside the reality bubble. That would require more than just camera code - more than vision code even.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:21, topic:8412”]I want to make ranged cameras a thing eventually.
I see it like this: remote vehicle controller will get the option to center the vision on the vehicle and to get camera signal (at reduced quality, say half the range).

One thing that probably will not happen for quite a bit of time: cameras letting you see things outside the reality bubble. That would require more than just camera code - more than vision code even.[/quote]
What i was thinking of could probably be used as a remote camera with some extra parts, But I was mostly just thinking of being able to use a camera instead of a windshield, or being able to sit anywhere inside the car and still drive as normal.

It would probably be opening a whole can of bugs, but the simplest sounding way would be to have two reality bubbles.
But even with my feeble programming knowledge that sounds like a recipe for coding horrors.

You can already use a camera instead of windshield. You can make a “killdozer” with no windows and no doors and no way to look inside (or outside) and put cameras on the outside.

Not sure what do you mean by “remote camera” here. The way I understand it, you’d like a camera item that would work without being connected to a vehicle. If so, then it’s doable - I wanted to make camera attachable to the toy car, and active camera item is required for toy car camera.

Driving from any point of vehicle is what remote controller does, except you don’t even need to be in the vehicle.

Yeah, except that the usual forward view does not seem to happen which makes high speeds more hazardous.

What i said about remotes was more in response to “I see it like this: remote vehicle controller will get the option to center the vision on the vehicle and to get camera signal (at reduced quality, say half the range).”
It just does not seem to come out that clearly that what i was thinking of would probably be similar to what you had in mind.
What I wanted was mostly just a camera that would act as the standard view point when driving a vehicle, just like sitting behind a windshield.

Infighting has made the game about ten times as fun for me. Zombie vs robot/turret battles are incredible.

Glad to hear it

The infighting isn’t yet 100% done, but it’s getting there.
Factions are all based on monster category (mammals, robots, mutants etc.) at the moment, so wolves are allied with rabbits and zombies hostile to blobs. This will be fixed in some more-or-less near future.

Now that infighting is in, it may be possible to convince people to make mi-gos more common. Mi-gos clearing towns of zombies would be a cool sight.

Also zombie scientists summoning manhacks that promptly kill them. But it’s still pretty excellent.

Will robots and monsters become peaceful to one another or will the lore excusing their coexistence be altered?

Scientists should no longer get killed by own manhacks. Update got yesterday or so.
If the newly spawned manhacks attack scientists, it’s a bug. Old saves will still have manhacks hacking up own creators.

From what I’ve heard, lore will probably get changed, because the whole “no shooting zeds” wasn’t really a design choice.

Cool. Robot vs zombie wars are too much fun to nix.

Action menu can’t use sheathed knives, while normal butchering can.

It also has some weird (probably alphabetical) algorithm for picking firetool, which means that if you have binoculars, any lighters or matchbooks will be entirely ignored and it will suggest to use that instead, which makes the “light a fire” option entirely useless.

[quote=“Barhandar, post:30, topic:8412”]Action menu can’t use sheathed knives, while normal butchering can.

It also has some weird (probably alphabetical) algorithm for picking firetool, which means that if you have binoculars, any lighters or matchbooks will be entirely ignored and it will suggest to use that instead, which makes the “light a fire” option entirely useless.[/quote]

I’ve been delaying updating the item action menu, because it probably means I’ll have to figure out how to address the new json-based actions (lockpicks use those) and make firestarters those too.

Item action menu prefers items that consume less charges. Since lenses use none, they are preferred.
Since firestarter function uses hardcoded item tags, the only way to eliminate unusable items (at the moment) is by mirroring the firestarter code. Fixing this would require either mirroring the firestarter code (ugly, hard to maintain and could easily lead to bugs) or making a proper implementation (possibly quite a bit of work).

Sheathed knives will either be very easy, or really annoying to implement, depending on whether they count as part of the inventory or not.

I’ll try updating it now.