Critter combat thoughts

Hey, we recently tuned down most critters’ melee skill, to go with the rework (wolves having 14 skill and all that).

For those of you playing experimentals newer than 24 Jan 2014 (when Rivet merged in the nerfs), how’s it working? Any thoughts? Too tough, too easy, Cata melee properly challenging?

Let us know!

[quote=“Rekozg”]Well, let’s put it this way: when I see a bear or a pack of wolves instead of sh*tting my pants I only think ‘free food’.
I think noone should be able to melee a bear at all, not without being crazy mutated or a cyber soldier at least. The free buffet we have after every single acid rain is immersion breaking too - it’s not much of an apocalypse when you have 300 pounds of meat lying around in your fridge. If i can say it, less frequent but still deadly should be a better approach to the issue.[/quote]plus make corpses from critters killed by acid rain produce tainted meat, or nothing at all.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:2, topic:4877”][quote=“Rekozg”]Well, let’s put it this way: when I see a bear or a pack of wolves instead of sh*tting my pants I only think ‘free food’.
I think noone should be able to melee a bear at all, not without being crazy mutated or a cyber soldier at least. The free buffet we have after every single acid rain is immersion breaking too - it’s not much of an apocalypse when you have 300 pounds of meat lying around in your fridge. If i can say it, less frequent but still deadly should be a better approach to the issue.[/quote]plus make corpses from critters killed by acid rain produce tainted meat, or nothing at all.[/quote]
If something has been “killed” by acid rain it’s presumably unrecoverable, might not be a bad idea to remove the corpses during an acid-rain cycle. It always bothered me that critters will sit there and dissolve while waiting for me to leave my vehicle.

Back to the topic, critters are reasonably well balanced from what I’ve seen. You can fight off a dog by yourself with some unarmed training, or with a melee weapon, a pack of wolves is still able to take me down, even when I’m carrying a pistol.

On topic: playing a ranged character so no ideas about melee. I’ve fought off some zeds at melee range and they didn’t even scratch me, both in the older experimentals and in the recent ones.

Oh yeah, acid rain saved my ass in the beginning of the game by killing off one tough zombie and heavily wounding another, and by killing off most bear/moose around my shelter so that I had free food.

plus make corpses from critters killed by acid rain produce tainted meat, or nothing at all.
Would solve the free food thing above.
If something has been "killed" by acid rain it's presumably unrecoverable, might not be a bad idea to remove the corpses during an acid-rain cycle. It always bothered me that critters will sit there and dissolve while waiting for me to leave my vehicle.

Yeah, I’m pretty bothered by it too.

My 2 solutions:
a) trees (not young trees) provide protection from acid rain (leaves, branches)
b) smaller critters burrow in ground to be protected

10 strength, 4 melee, 4 bash + aluminum bat

Strong armed multiple bears, moose and cougars. Wolves were one/two shot kills

The nerf needed to happen, thanks, and I’m glad you’re looking for refinement. Maybe just a ‘bit’ harder now.

Just felt like bumping this, seems to be a pretty imoportant thing.

I have no real opinion towards this issue, however.

The damage they do is okay. Maybe a small buff to some.

They are however extremely squishy. All of them.

I’m playing a nightly from before 24/1 and the critters are a joke. With the regular survivor suit that is pretty easy to craft they can’t hurt me at all. Zombears and mooses die in 2 or 3 hits at most. It’s really that once you figure out the crafting they stop being a threat and turn into a mere nuisance, zombears breaking through boarded up windows but nothing else…

On topic of meleing a bear. You obviously live in America or southern Europe/asian country.
From the beginning of fucking civilization here, in north, people hunted bears. Even more, when Ivan IV was ruling, he made people fight bears with nothing more than fists - and there was big enough percentage of wins to not make this sort of fun outlawed.
It is more than possible, if you know what are you doing.
tipycal historyfag from Russia

[quote=“trusty_patches, post:9, topic:4877”]On topic of meleing a bear. You obviously live in America or southern Europe/asian country.
From the beginning of fucking civilization here, in north, people hunted bears. Even more, when Ivan IV was ruling, he made people fight bears with nothing more than fists - and there was big enough percentage of wins to not make this sort of fun outlawed.
It is more than possible, if you know what are you doing.
tipycal historyfag from Russia[/quote]

perhaps i should ditch the zweihander and go rambo, RIP AND TEAR STYLE.

I’ve seen a man wrestle a full sized male gorilla.

He lost an ear and nearly an eye, but he made that fucker think twice about fighting him again.