Critical hit killing strike/shot taunts

So I had an idea: how about when the player kills an enemy with a critical hit the PC says something like “Eat this!” or “hippy kai yay motherfucker!” and various other taunts, which taunt used would of course depend on the weapon used. Maybe use some classic movie taunts but could also add some which would be suggested by the people on this forum.

Seems like a good player v. player-character distinction. You can shout whatever you want at the zeds, but I’d rather not define the PC’s character for people. (Quoting some old action flick–which was itself quoting an ancient Western show for kids–might work for some chars but not others.)

I could see this (and other things like it) working as a free, 0-point trait. Then there’s no problem for people who don’t want it, or maybe pick a few different quote/personality traits or something. Might not even be limited to kills.

picks up a shotgun
"And this, is my BOOMSTICK!"

I think that it would be better to include a new personality tab, where you can choose free traits that would define the character’s behavior (aggressive, gun nuts). The problem would be that it needs to be created from scratch, though.
Also it could be possible to bound the taunts to the already existing traits and skills (for example, if you pick the pacifist trait during character creation your char will say things like “I’m sorry!” or something along those lines when he kills someone), possibly simplifying the coding process (or not).

[quote=“Aravhorn, post:4, topic:7137”]I think that it would be better to include a new personality tab, where you can choose free traits that would define the character’s behavior (aggressive, gun nuts). The problem would be that it needs to be created from scratch, though.
Also it could be possible to bound the taunts to the already existing traits and skills (for example, if you pick the pacifist trait during character creation your char will say things like “I’m sorry!” or something along those lines when he kills someone), possibly simplifying the coding proccess (or not).[/quote]This. So much fucking this. WE FUCKING NEED THIS!!!

Adding a personality tab for this kind of thing I could see doing, but the priority is pretty low IMO.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:5, topic:7137”][quote=“Aravhorn, post:4, topic:7137”]I think that it would be better to include a new personality tab, where you can choose free traits that would define the character’s behavior (aggressive, gun nuts). The problem would be that it needs to be created from scratch, though.
Also it could be possible to bound the taunts to the already existing traits and skills (for example, if you pick the pacifist trait during character creation your char will say things like “I’m sorry!” or something along those lines when he kills someone), possibly simplifying the coding proccess (or not).[/quote]This. So much fucking this. WE FUCKING NEED THIS!!![/quote]

Calm down.

It’s an unnecessary feature that kinda bloats the game IMO and seems highly annoying/complicated to implement.

[quote=“kilozombie, post:7, topic:7137”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:5, topic:7137”][quote=“Aravhorn, post:4, topic:7137”]I think that it would be better to include a new personality tab, where you can choose free traits that would define the character’s behavior (aggressive, gun nuts). The problem would be that it needs to be created from scratch, though.
Also it could be possible to bound the taunts to the already existing traits and skills (for example, if you pick the pacifist trait during character creation your char will say things like “I’m sorry!” or something along those lines when he kills someone), possibly simplifying the coding proccess (or not).[/quote]This. So much fucking this. WE FUCKING NEED THIS!!![/quote]

Calm down.

It’s an unnecessary feature that kinda bloats the game IMO and seems highly annoying/complicated to implement.[/quote]To the contrary, it would add a huge boost to the roleplaying aspect of the game. You are right though, it would make the game bigger and possibly add more lag, but it’d but so much fun!

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:8, topic:7137”][quote=“kilozombie, post:7, topic:7137”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:5, topic:7137”][quote=“Aravhorn, post:4, topic:7137”]I think that it would be better to include a new personality tab, where you can choose free traits that would define the character’s behavior (aggressive, gun nuts). The problem would be that it needs to be created from scratch, though.

Calm down.

It’s an unnecessary feature that kinda bloats the game IMO and seems highly annoying/complicated to implement.[/quote]To the contrary, it would add a huge boost to the roleplaying aspect of the game. You are right though, it would make the game bigger and possibly add more lag, but it’d but so much fun![/quote]

OK, it could be awesome- but it’s not 100% urgent. If you write up a detailed explanation, maybe a dev would take interest? Some of the problem is how loosely defined it is ATM.

It wouldn’t add much complexity since it would just get triggered by existing actions, basically you’d have various points where it would do something like, “p.personality_message( “critical_hit” )”, and that method would just check to see if there’s a special message to display, if not it would display the vanilla message.

A personality would consist of an id, a name, and a list of action/message pairs.

Pretty simple overall, but kind of a pain to hunt down all the appropriate places to add the calls to display the messages.