Crates vs Lockers vs Bookcases etc?

sorry for (probably) just another noob question but is there any tangible difference between different furniture one can construct in terms of convenience of storing different types of items? like is a bookcase really a better place to store books (faster access? slower deterioration etc) than a crate or a locker etc? ok, fridge and gun safe are obvious =)

I just pile everything in heaps on the floor.

I generally use what feels right. Tables or bookcases for books. Crates for stuff like scrap metal. I end up feeling stir crazy late game when things are not organized, especially when it comes to food and water. Booze on a separate space, food that rots on another. Uncooked meat on another spot, etc.

Bookcases and lockers block sight, but crates don’t. You must be standing next to a locker or crate to see the contents.

Does that los also apply to crafting?
Do I have to stand next to a locker to be able to use it’s content for crafting?

[quote=“troll from behind, post:5, topic:9248”]Does that los also apply to crafting?
Do I have to stand next to a locker to be able to use it’s content for crafting?[/quote]

Nope. Crafting works just fine. (Tested with locker)

added this^ detail to wiki

This kind of got my interest about crates: if you smash crate does it damage items inside if you do not break the crate? For racks and book cases I think that items do get damaged.

Really? I didn’t think that with bookcases and shelves that items got damaged, but I am pretty sure I got better drops when I started using crowbars instead of smashing, and less scrap. Someone get an answer on this and Ill add it to the wiki as well ^.^ …or just add it yourself.

Only glass gets damaged. Alcohol and purifier are stored in glass containers. Otherwise it’s safe to smash everything.

Only glass gets damaged. Alcohol and purifier are stored in glass containers. Otherwise it’s safe to smash everything.[/quote]
What about acid from spitters?

I meant “smash” as in “smash sealed furniture to get stuff”.
BTW: acid works through non-sealed containers, but not vehicle containers.

crates are good (can be sealed) if you play with npc but i use lockers if its safe to store it alslo locker is better when it comes to small moving of stuff around house