Crates and HOW THE HELL DO THEY OPEN

Can some nicely tell me how to open a crate without explosives.

Crowbar.

I sometimes smash them with a sledgehammer (or a car) if I don’t have a crowbar on hand.
Alternatively, if you have a high Str stat you can smash them with just about anything that has decent bash scores, even a rock if you’re really strong, takes a few hits though.

Thanks :DD I havent opened any but I hear they have Military booty >:D

You don’t even need to open them to know if they have anything inside.
Just (e)xamine them and it’ll tell you what’s inside, if anything.

And FYI, CataDDA crates are made of a high tech nano-alloy composed of millions of miniarchitectural highpolymer advanceramics that resemble wood. So, although they are called “wood crates”, they are made of a type of synthetic wood-like material that you can see through.

[size=5pt]Not really[/size]

[quote=“kenoxite, post:5, topic:1079”]You don’t even need to open them to know if they have anything inside.
Just (e)xamine them and it’ll tell you what’s inside, if anything.

And FYI, CataDDA crates are made of a high tech nano-alloy composed of millions of miniarchitectural highpolymer advanceramics that resemble wood. So, although they are called “wood crates”, they are made of a type of synthetic wood-like material that you can see through.

[size=5pt]Not really[/size][/quote]

DEAR GOD.

I’ve rarely found them (on characters that had crowbars), but they mostly contained food and water. Don’t expect free LAW’s out the wazoo.

be careful with crates that have glass bottles with mutagen or purifier inside, if you smash them the bottles get smashed

btw crates can be dissasembled like furniture

Most of them are empty.

Generally the best place to find them are LMOE shelters, FEMA camps and occasionally as an airdrop (i.e, you’ll find a few random crates lying in the middle of nowhere.)

Airdrops sometimes contain a few pieces of military gear if you get lucky (i.e, a few helmets and some pants.)
LMOE shelter crates don’t seem to contain much of anything, maybe some food.
FEMA ones, I’ve yet to open but I think someone said they have stuff like gasmasks and shovels.

Also there are people that don’t use a crowbar? That’s some grade-A heresy right there, bub.

Start with the mechanic profession. You don’t even need to put points into mechanics, you can start the game-- read under the hood and boom a nice pool of EXP to slaughter stuff with and the ability to craft a crowbar. Of course, you need to find some sneakers since you don’t start with footwear for some reason.

I’ve always thought of the mechanic as some sort of redneck hence the shoeless ness

Huh didn’t know you could examine to see the contents…

From the ones I managed to bash open in a FEMA shelter- they mostly have food. Lots of MREs if I remember correctly.

[quote=“AnnaStisha, post:11, topic:1079”]Huh didn’t know you could examine to see the contents…

From the ones I managed to bash open in a FEMA shelter- they mostly have food. Lots of MREs if I remember correctly.[/quote]
They also seem to be divided into “sections”. From top to bottom (and from memory, so the list is probably inaccurate):

• Clothing
  • Food and Meds
  • Misc gear and components

First time I saw crates was by a bunch of a metal wreckage. Got a G36, suppressor and 5.56 out of the wreckage, crowbar’d the crates and got two C4 charges.

Of course, later I was killed by sewer rats because I went into a cave for the first time.

[quote=“Austupaio, post:13, topic:1079”]First time I saw crates was by a bunch of a metal wreckage. Got a G36, suppressor and 5.56 out of the wreckage, crowbar’d the crates and got two C4 charges.

Of course, later I was killed by sewer rats because I went into a cave for the first time.[/quote]

Did you remember to turn on the C4 before you died?

I drove from one town to another, just to find that even that one had no welder in the garages. The same happened again in the next town. 2 garages, no welder. But, both had a few crates scattered along the streets.

If you play the latest dev versions a new building that is on the outskirts of town (making it very easy to raid) is the 2x2 publics works building, which almost always has all the different vehicle tools as well as some more hard to get parts (like panes of glass).

If you play the latest dev versions a new building that is on the outskirts of town (making it very easy to raid) is the 2x2 publics works building, which almost always has all the different vehicle tools as well as some more hard to get parts (like panes of glass).[/quote]

No, I don’t play the latest one.

Could not also sheets of glass be used for cars? Which can be obtained by deconstructing windows. Was a long time since I had a welder …

Sorry, sheets of glass was what I meant.

(And since I play dynamic spawn it’s a little more difficult for me to go around town deconstructing windows :P).

So what? Massive bashing damage and S:12 gets you a Slappy Joe?
I don’t think so.
I own a crate with a mini nuke on my hands and I won’t bash it anymore.
Tell me or I’m telling bunnies.