Coolthulhu's patches

Newest versions always available at:

[hr]

Changes from current master:

Most important changes:

[ul][li]Normal distribution ranged accuracy math - compared to current master, it makes sniping requirements much more sane and prevents reaching insane levels of accuracy[/li]
[li]Getting hit in a mending limb for 0 damage won’t reset the mending process[/li]
[li]Allows using jacks stored in non-adjacent vehicle trunks[/li]
[li]Includes BrettDong’s “NO_CBM_PAINKILLERS” mod - https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/21430[/li]
[li]Buff UPS charger (drop the 10x cost multiplier to 2x), allow setting multiplier in json[/li]
[li]Add stripped-down version of tungn’s No Silly Items mod. Unlike the full version, it doesn’t blacklist any guns, as most of those are covered by No Fictional Weapons mod[/li][/ul]

Finally, the mod everyone wants with all the sane changes. Are you going to expand this for other things that are labeled HARAM by El Grande Enchilada in the future?
My man Coolthulu, Cataclysm : Cool Days Ahead fork when?
Thanks for all the hard work you’ve been doing in all these years, I still don’t understand how you haven’t quit after all this negative backlash when you’re actually trying to fix the damn game so it actually works instead of limping around but we’re all glad you haven’t! We believe in you!

Thanks dude, when I try this out I’m hoping I can actually aim my gun and not wait to get high on painkillers to install my bionics.

At the moment just common sense quality of life stuff and making sure that experimental changes aren’t forced before they’re ready.
If you have any other cases where “working as intended” is not good enough, I can include those.

I’d like to add more player info displays: current painkiller value, radiation, hunger, thirst etc. - stuff that a good player can figure out already, but a new player will struggle with. Some of those might be halal in master branch, if I avoided displaying the exact numbers.

Later on I’m thinking map memory. One incredibly useful feature in any loot-heavy game that DDA lacks.
Now, map memory as an idea by itself isn’t controversial, but my implementation would most likely be - I’d like to make it truly useful, by allowing searching the memorized items and not obscuring anything.

Thank you oh so much for this.

I love you Coolthulhu and want to have your babies.

Alternatively I can shower you with kudos, whichever you prefer (and is biologically feasible).

This version of the game appears to crash very often while walking around.

I dont know if its due to the patches or due to something in the recent experimentals.

Yesterday’s one or earlier?
Crash as in turn off or lock up? There was a bug that caused lockup, but it should be fixed in the most recent build here.

So other than the changes you mentioned everything else is on par with the current experimental or what?

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:8, topic:14023”]Yesterday’s one or earlier?
Crash as in turn off or lock up? There was a bug that caused lockup, but it should be fixed in the most recent build here.[/quote]

Seems like I downloaded a version before the lockup was fixed.

I re-downloaded right now and the game runs without problems.

any chance to make a mod/patch for normal experimental branch that fixes accuracy?

Nope. One of the reasons coolthulhu’s patched version exists is because Kevin won’t allow these fixes to happen in the mainline.

What’s your take on throwing damage? It’s a 0.D milestone issue, is there a proposed fix that could be merged?

^^ what you mean the high damage ratios? shoot a pistol and it does 22dmg. Throw a knife and it can does 56+ lol XD

Three questions

Firstly, when you say accuracy changes does this mean the utterly nonsensical short effective range of rifles and other firearms is fixed?

Secondly, will this have any issues if i install it on an existing save?

Thirdly, if the answer to question 1 is yes, why will Kevin not accept this change in master? These weapon ranges aren’t realistic and they certainly aren’t fun, so why are they enforced?

Nope. One of the reasons coolthulhu’s patched version exists is because Kevin won’t allow these fixes to happen in the mainline.[/quote]

The patch/mod doesn’t have to be included in main line, just hosted somewhere for download until they get their shit straight.

[quote=“Wyzack, post:15, topic:14023”]Firstly, when you say accuracy changes does this mean the utterly nonsensical short effective range of rifles and other firearms is fixed?
Secondly, will this have any issues if i install it on an existing save?
Thirdly, if the answer to question 1 is yes, why will Kevin not accept this change in master? These weapon ranges aren’t realistic and they certainly aren’t fun, so why are they enforced?[/quote]

Yes
No
He wants the implementation to be done his way and considers that more important than what players want.

No one is going to “get their shit straight” because Kevin:

In other words, no fun allowed.

Has he given any reasoning as to why? I am not looking to stir up drama that has since settled or anything but as-is most guns are pseudo melee weapons until you get your skill to outrageous levels, like 13-14. It is nonsensical and not fun

Because it’s not a balance change, its a set of changes that overhauled (and broke) a lot of ranged code internally that happened to also be bundled with a lot of balance changes. Since it was implemented and merged without the balance tests I requested, it was not feasible to revert the breakage without also reverting the balance changes. Im currently working on adding the balance tests, and that will serve as a way to keep ranged balance from regressing in the future.