Converting the game into using higher game engine, possible?

Turn based and tile based like old forgot realms games…

isometric tile sets have textures with different faces for camera rotation if I recall so there should be a way to use existing tile sets and make a simple mod that just handles how visual data is presented, Id have to boot up map editor but I’m fairly sure existing metadata on tiles would be make the logic regarding how to display things fairly straightforward. A 2d image with transparency that’s always facing you can look 3d. From there people could make texture packs for the 3d first person mod. Not sure why it would need another engine…

I think timed rounds are already in the world options. Z level is basically working. Like seriously how much harder is going to first person sudo 3d from isometric compared to isometric from ASCII? I have a hard time believing that the fixed view isn’t making up for the larger individual textures. Especially if the textures are stretched rather then uprezed.

It’s sure not a weekend project or anything but it sure isn’t a year of grind. Maybe one guys weekend project for a year or a good team could bust it out fairly quickly. I think it would bring in more players personally. If the primary dev team did it they could easily sell it on steam and remain non profit by using the proceeds to fund further development. It could even become the preferred way to play for most people.