Constant crash occurring

Okay, so I’m a bit stuck with a constantly repeating crash. The game just crashes (cdda has stopped working) upon installing a SPECIFIC piece of military plating onto a frame. Taking other pieces of plating from other frames and installing them back or elsewhere does not cause the crash. The game crashes after installing a plate, exiting the vehicle screen, and pressing the move button (or trying to control a vehicle with ^). The piece of plating in question was lying on the ground between game updates (7967 - 7975).

Log that I’ve found:

9:41:24.247 : Starting log.
9:41:24.284 INFO : Language is set to: ‘en’
9:41:26.57 WARNING : opendir [./mods/] failed with “No such file or directory”.
9:41:26.149 SDL : src/sdltiles.cpp:3527: Failed to load audio file data/sound/Basic/Dark_Days_Ahead_demo_2.wav: Couldn’t open ‘data/sound/Basic/Dark_Days_Ahead_demo_2.wav’
9:41:32.313 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (dk) in (dkgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:41:32.321 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (dk) in (dkgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:41:32.321 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:41:32.322 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltred). Please update mod that uses that.
9:41:32.322 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:41:32.323 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:41:32.595 WARNING : opendir [./save/Lama Mama/mods] failed with “No such file or directory”.
9:41:37.88 INFO : Loaded tileset: ChestHole
9:42:18.149 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (dk) in (dkgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:42:18.156 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (dk) in (dkgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:42:18.157 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:42:18.157 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltred). Please update mod that uses that.
9:42:18.158 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:42:18.158 WARNING : Deprecated foreground color suffix was used: (lt) in (ltgray). Please update mod that uses that.
9:42:18.430 WARNING : opendir [./save/Lama Mama/mods] failed with “No such file or directory”.

Any help?

Upd: taking military composites from a nearby tank and using them crashes the game too.
Upd2: taking steel plating from a nearby truck and using it also crashes the game.
Upd3: taking a cargo space from a lorry from a completely different area and installing it also crashes the game.

You need to find which mod is using dkgray instead of dk_gray in a color definition and fix it.

I… Don’t even know what this is about. That’s the problem.

edit: no wait. I’m finally awake and I got it. Searching now…

Okay, found it. It’s the Mining Mod (again).
But what does the Mining mod have to do with vehicles?

Edit: Fixed it. Didin’t help.

Edit2: Changed colors to light_red instead of lt_red. Log looks like this:

21:38:1.387 : Starting log.
21:38:1.427 INFO : Language is set to: ‘en’
21:38:3.273 WARNING : opendir [./mods/] failed with “No such file or directory”.
21:38:3.366 SDL : src/sdltiles.cpp:3527: Failed to load audio file data/sound/Basic/Dark_Days_Ahead_demo_2.wav: Couldn’t open ‘data/sound/Basic/Dark_Days_Ahead_demo_2.wav’
21:38:10.281 WARNING : opendir [./save/Lama Mama/mods] failed with “No such file or directory”.

Game is still crashing.
Maybe there are some other log files?

Also, these log entries appear even before installing any parts. Probably they have nothing to do with the crash.

You could zip up a save and post it somewhere for the devs to look at.
I find it’s useful to start a clean game with no extra mods (I have a whole “Testworld” set up for this) and try to debug in stuff to replicate what’s happening. Often times this points to mod-related problems.

No extra mods. But which are extra? I know some game content comes in the way of addons, the original game content. How does one distinguish?

Okay, tried excluding vehicle mods at first. Could not replicate a crash.
Then remembered that I haven’t tested this in my regular world on other vehicles. Turns out that the game crashes only if the parts are being installed onto my own vehicle.

The only guess I have is that my vehicle has somehow become ‘incompatible’ with other vehicles.

By extra I mean like “mods that you don’t need to replicate the crash.” Like if you’re building a vehicle with the goo parts from that one mod, obviously you’d need to enable that to try to replicate it.

In your case, definitely consider zipping up the save and posting it. It sounds like something’s not right with your save, and analysis might reveal how it got that way.

Nope. Those are just ordinary parts like cargo carriers or steel/military platings. That’s why I can’t personally attribute the crash to any particular mod.

Not sure if one can upload files right here, so here’s the link.
https://yadi.sk/d/ckinE4d77jz2MA

I have had many crashes seemingly at random as well. I think it maybe the new helicopter crash sites. But some work fine while I will walk around and CTD out of know where. 7900 range of experimentals. No way to localize the problem either. It just crashes the game without warning.

It’s not a random crash. It’s a crash at a single specific moment, which CAN be localized and avoided, but with losing my vehicle. It has nothing to do with the helis, either, I guess.

Forgot to test wished items (they’re probably similar to newly crafted). Those cannot be installed to.

Also tested taking parts from my vehicle and installing them on other vehicles. This works just as intended, no crash. Taking the part away and putting it back on my ride crashes the game.

I have same problem. I think game crashes when you have to many parts in vehicle.

I’ve previously built way larger vehicles. Besides, my car is even smaller than vanilla vehicles like flatbed trucks, for instance.

Any news? There’ve been some changes in the most recent patches, but the issue still occurs.

Thanks for reminding me. I’ve downloaded the save and tested it out, but I can’t seem to reproduce the crash. Wishing up steel or military composite plating and installing it on the northeastern corner of the vehicle seems to work fine. I added the cargo carrier from your inventory too and that was fine.
It might be because I don’t have all your mods, or it might be because I’m running a different build.
Can you zip up your mods folder for me? It would save me some time hunting all these down.

Sure, here you go. Just keep in mind that all those folders are the launcher’s work, I’m not using even a half of them.

Mods I’m using (from mods.json):

[
“dda”,
“craftgp”,
“FIC_Weapons”,
“realguns”,
“ew_pack”,
“makeshift”,
“Medieval_Stuff”,
“More_Survival_Tools”,
“nw_pack”,
“Mining_Mod”,
“mutant_npcs”,
“npc_traits”,
“deoxymod”,
“blazemod”,
“Tanks”,
“No_Fungi”,
“no_npc_food”,
“manualbionicinstall”,
“no_reviving_zombies”,
“safeautodoc”,
“StatsThroughSkills”
]

(Just in case)

While incorrect colors are being rendered incorrectly they shouldn’t cause crashes.

That’s basically all that’s needed to crash the game. The video ends when the game crashes and the ‘cdda has stopped working’ window pops out.

Don’t crash for me with build 7998.

Just tried second time and it crashed :smiley:

I’m playing 7997 right now and the only change is some tiny motors.

And… You know what, it doesn’t crash right now. I’m pretty sure I’ve checked that when I first updated the game to 7997 and it did crash.
Thing I’ve done so far: fiddled a bit with car batteries to reload a welder and started constructing a new similar vehicle. Didn’t come to my mind to check if it is going to crash after that, but… it doesn’t.

I’m really not sure what’s the cause. Maybe a new vehicle somehow fixed it?
Anyway, thanks for reminding and thanks to anyone who spent their time looking into the problem. I’ll try poking around my Humvee some more, in case the crash remains.

upd: oh, yeah, and some ants have crashed into my car (not my fault) and destroyed a vehicle tank.

upd2: sadly, the crash returned quite quickly. Yes, I’ve lost an external tank and has been able to install a cargo space. Installing another one crashes the game.
Strangely enough, but it does seem to be something like this:

I don’t even know.

Are there any limits for parts quantity? This is REALLY strange, since there are tanks and other vehicles which are WAY larger than my pathetic cart.