Clouds are not going away inside interiors

Pretty self-explanatory title… I remember this bug from previous versions and it’s just as obnoxious/game-breaking now as it was then.

Oops, just realized 2.8.12 is not the version number. It’s 0.C-8099, though I don’t think this matters too much, as this has been present for several versions now.

I dont undertand what you mean. Are you expecting los to improve indoors without artificial lighting?

Uh… no. Clouds. Like the ones that bloated zombies and smoke zombies create when they explode. They don’t go away after the zombies die; ‘hazy clouds’ remain in place permanently inside interior structures instead of dissipating.

Try sleeping and driving through them. I use diesel engines inside just fine.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

I’ve witnessed something similar recently, but in my case it was a zombie grenadier and teargas grenades down in a lab. It seemed like the teargas would linger abnormally long. Then I started opening doors next to the teargas cloud, allowing it to spread, and then it was gone pretty fast. Is this similar to your case? Does the gas cloud exist in a tight space with nowhere to spread?

So the complaint is that gases in closed rooms don’t magically vanish? :wink:

Nope, I don’t think so. I’ve tried opening doors and it didn’t go away.

There’s no reason to be a jerk. I’ve played this game for years and this has been a legitimate issue before, which was ostensibly fixed at some point. It’s not a matter of “magically vanish”, nor is it a matter of “closed rooms”. I reported this after witnessing several clouds of gas sit in rooms with broken windows and open doors for literally hours at a time.

Ah, I see. I was assuming that because I’ve noticed the “smoke sticking around forever” thing myself, and I actually liked it because opening a door/window always resolved it for me.

Currently there is no wind per se. All “wind” does is cooling down the player who is in the open.
Gases in the open disperse fast, independently of the wind. The rate of dispersion depends on the gas.

If someone wrote a “wind propagation algorithm”, we could have realistic venting. But wind algorithm would probably be quite hard, especially considering that it would have to be pretty efficient (so no cellular automata like Dwarf Fortress water/lava).
Until then, areas that are outside have wind, ones that are inside do not have wind.

Ah, I see. I thought this had been fixed for some reason but maybe I’m just imagining things.

Shouldn’t it be possible to just use open windows/doors to detect whether a room is adjacent to an exterior that offers an opening for wind to come in, and then create a “wind ratio” based on the size of the room versus the number of open windows/doors? I.e., for every say 20 interior spaces, a window/door would allow gas dispersion on a 1:1 ratio. Anything less than that and you’ll start to see a slowdown (but obviously not as slow as having everything closed).

I don’t think detecting adjacent rooms is too hard from a roguelike/algorithmic perspective, pretty sure I’ve written similar code before in dungeon generators.

That would be a massive simplification, but it could work.
It wouldn’t be trivial to add, though. We’d need to cache it, have proper signals to recalculate it, later update it to 3D etc.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:13, topic:11109”]That would be a massive simplification, but it could work.
It wouldn’t be trivial to add, though. We’d need to cache it, have proper signals to recalculate it, later update it to 3D etc.[/quote]

It is definitely a simplification, but then again when you’re doing simulation on the level of C:DDA, pretty much everything you do is coming up with believable simplifications.

I didn’t consider 3D spaces… that definitely adds a layer of complexity.

air volume in given space… square footage equivalent of open space from room (say… window = 1 unit, doors 2 or 3 missing wall/ smashed wall 6) double dispertion speed for openings on different sides, x5 for openings on opposite sides.

Something “simple” like that should make implementation easier… though still a bit of a project.

Ooo! This could allow realistic fire backdrafts when opening doors on or windows into or out of burning rooms!

gets pelted with rocks

Why would gas have to be 3d? What I mean is, gas can remain as a 2d object like an explosion works now. The strongest point is the center. The weakest the outer rim, moving outwards. Except it won’t damage anything. Slow it down and each item has lower values until it is removed when it can move out of an area, such as windows/doors etc.

Degradation would just be slower for trapped gas and how thick. As buildings are not air tight, trapped gas would take like 5-10 hours or something.

Because some day 3D will be the mainline, so all options have to be either naturally 3D or easy to translate into 3D.