Close combat system like DF

I hear about it many times. How do you imagine in CDDA?

I don’t want to be crippled by having a broken nail on my left foot, fifth toe.

So, no.

No. Not so much DF.

The DF combat system is just too slow for the amount of enemies you face in DDA

vividly remembers dismembering a baby finger by finger followed by strangling an old lady with the still living baby

…the fan base would definitely grow rather quickly.

Well, I’d like descriptive actions and dismemberment of DF.

Ok. Another way. How to explain close combat system?
For example aimed attacks (if needed), possibility to charge/push zombie…

I’d like a way to target specific body parts, at the cost of taking slightly longer to strike the foe, but at the same time, I’d like to keep the default “Hit 'em anywhere” as a default.

See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1565
tl;dr: You set attack modes, like “damage”, “disable” or “push”.
The melee style or weapon type you use determines what the exact effect of that attack mode is.
Also some options like combos triggering, for example you might be able to do a critical attack on a stunned or downed enemy, So a good option might be to push until stun or knockdown followed by a crippling or damaging attack.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:9, topic:6988”]See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1565
The melee style or weapon type you use determines what the exact effect of that attack mode is.
Also some options like combos triggering, for example you might be able to do a critical attack on a stunned or downed enemy, So a good option might be to push until stun or knockdown followed by a crippling or damaging attack.[/quote]
Just idle curiosity: has there been any work done in moving toward the overhauled combat system, or is development focusing on other areas right now?

[quote=“Nighthawk, post:10, topic:6988”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:9, topic:6988”]See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1565
Also some options like combos triggering, for example you might be able to do a critical attack on a stunned or downed enemy, So a good option might be to push until stun or knockdown followed by a crippling or damaging attack.[/quote]
Just idle curiosity: has there been any work done in moving toward the overhauled combat system, or is development focusing on other areas right now?[/quote]

Other areas right now.

Maybe veeery indirectly, there’s some work sorting out the creature/character/monster/player/NPC division, which will make adjusting melee combat in the future easier. Other than that, it’s not active right now.

We could always resort to beating the shit out of a zombie with a nearby bench.

Of course, good luck getting a kill with that.
[size=6pt]Fucking hammerdwarves and their stupid very little kills within ten seconds rules…[/size]

Did you hear something?

No?

[size=36pt]GOOD[/size]

Well isn’t it the verbose DF system all over again, trimming ends on Cataclysm side? We’ve got karate here.
The “system” has just one error imho - and it’s that brutes and hulks are unforgiving killing machines, unlike their stock-green bretheren. You CHOP and PUMMEL their undead bodies hoping they are stunned more than you’re hurt; pain slows you down, drugs take a toll on your neural network, and you have a world of micromanaging particular dangers and situations ATM to cope with, too…
If zombies aim at pinning & devouring their victims, your (PC’s) aim should be to prevent them from doing so - hitting them criticaly so to slow them down, numbing them with headshots, making their attacks less ferocius as you’re bringing down the sum of their hitpoints. If everything in CataDDA has a condition/state - even zombies’ still & safe carcasses - then a live one’s ability to kill shouldn’t be a neverending maze, just because the Nearly Dead flag is as good for their brain-eating heads as anything else.

This is a good idea, but you already said it, it was suggested a million of times before and no one gives a care.
And no one will I guess.

(sorry for being depressing, I am not very good now)

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:9, topic:6988”]See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1565
Yes please. Just implement stamina at the same time. cough

If you improve on the stamina frontend you’d have to overhaul the nutrition system, otherwise it would be incosistent and pointless.
That vector is already clear IMHO, and doesn’t need redoing - a tired flag, a crispy green 100-speed and all the uppers you can chew on.