Dwarf Fortress type combat logs

People that have played Dwarf Fortress know how versatile the combat message system in that game is. And i think that some of the same would fit DDA perfectly.

As it stands, the combat is just “who hits who, and does X amount damage” again and again. with only martial arts special moves that give little variation in mix in some cases. And pain is just pain, with no real source for it. I think that limb system and few adjectives here and there in combat log could do miracles to the combat and making it much more exiting event. This would also make healing oneself more interesting. So, instead of just applying metric tons of bandage to your torso you could instead use it in that bite in your left arm, deep wound given by bear claw in your stomach, or that skull of yours bruised in Zombie Brutes sudden assault.

I’d love to have my dexterous gunslingers fingers bitten off, have my freerunning acrobat to break his leg, get my octopus mutant mutilated into a monopus. Also, shoot the skull out of Hulk Zombies body with my rifle, and chop up those child zombies with my katana wielding gentleman survivor.

What do you think?

I think I recall this being brought up before DDA came around, and the consensus was that it would require a total rewrite of the mechanics.

Really? what a bummer. : /

Though i don’t really see why it would not be possible to have modifers such as “missing a finger” giving DEX - 1 or something.
which would be given if enemy does biting attack which deals enough damage which would cause a roll to see if that modifier should be given PC

[quote=“Earlo, post:3, topic:2061”]Really? what a bummer. : /

Though i don’t really see why it would not be possible to have modifers such as “missing a finger” giving DEX - 1 or something.
which would be given if enemy does biting attack which deals enough damage which would cause a roll to see if that modifier should be given PC[/quote]
observing the DF combat system i have the feelingg if this gets added , nobody won’t have no fingers no more.

[quote=“woflsipder, post:4, topic:2061”][quote=“Earlo, post:3, topic:2061”]Really? what a bummer. : /

which would be given if enemy does biting attack which deals enough damage which would cause a roll to see if that modifier should be given PC[/quote]
observing the DF combat system i have the feeling if this gets added , nobody won’t have no fingers no more.[/quote]
That is what we have mutations for. Regeneration, and added chance of mutating new human limb to replace lost one would fix that.
Also, i think that “Mechanical limb” CBM would be plausible also, which could replace any lost bodypart.

Edit:
Also, i think that added risk would make players less willing to fight zombies and just run away instead.
As it stands, player with decent melee weapon (crowbar, baseball bat,etc) and about lvl 2 melee and doge skills, can easily take on 15 or so zombies on at once, which i think is not really how it should be, taken that we think that lvl 2 skills is about “gotten hang of the basics” instead of “demigod of particular skill”.

though, this is just my opinion.

[quote=“Earlo, post:5, topic:2061”][quote=“woflsipder, post:4, topic:2061”][quote=“Earlo, post:3, topic:2061”]Really? what a bummer. : /

observing the DF combat system i have the feeling if this gets added , nobody won’t have no fingers no more.[/quote]
That is what we have mutations for. Regeneration, and added chance of mutating new human limb to replace lost one would fix that.
Also, i think that “Mechanical limb” CBM would be plausible also, which could replace any lost bodypart.

Edit:
Also, i think that added risk would make players less willing to fight zombies and just run away instead.
As it stands, player with decent melee weapon (crowbar, baseball bat,etc) and about lvl 2 melee and doge skills, can easily take on 15 or so zombies on at once, which i think is not really how it should be, taken that we think that lvl 2 skills is about “gotten hang of the basics” instead of “demigod of particular skill”.

though, this is just my opinion.[/quote]

Zombies aren’t exactly the most competent at combat.
They’re not particularly intelligent or fast, they don’t try to dodge your attacks.
It shouldn’t really require more than knowing how to properly swing your weapon of choice to deal with them.