CBM Visor

So I was kind of thinking about cbms, with limited slots (and even without it) some cbms are just a waste of time, so what poped in my mind was something like google glass or a VR cbm that you could install in the head area (like in Deus Ex) wich would have some of the “useless” cbms installed on it like apps, while some other cbms (like the flashlight) could be modfications, upgrades that would take less slots or no slots at all.

Could also aplies to prosthetics, if you wanted to install a arm cannon you would have to replace your arm with a prosthetic wich would start from a basic one and as you upgraded it, it would become something so complex that it would be superior to your own arm.

I dont know if you guys already talked about that, If you guys did I wasnt in the forums so I still want to hear it

Giving the sunglasses CBM some apps like the tablet would be pretty cool. Sunglasses on their own are kind of meh as a CBM.

I think there was chatter about full body replacement cybernetics? Not sure what the plans are for those.

Yeah it would be cool and like I said adapting the “useless” cbm as modification would make people want them, as they dont cost much or nothing at all.
I was thinking like if you install a bionic prosthetic you should be able to adapt it. So say we have a arm cannon, by default it makes your hand useless but as you upgrade it could become a far better arm than your old one.

Meh, the basic idea is that certain things only take up a real amount of space is they aren’t part of something else. Once you have much of anything with a connection to your brain and some storage/computing of almost any kind, adding “built in mp3 player that you only hear in your head that makes no noise and takes exceedingly little power” would take no physical space. Several of the eye things would also go together like that, among lots of other things.

But for game balance reasons, I can see why that stuff might be left out. Wish it wasn’t though…

it could be done like car engines, with increasing difficulty to add any mods that would have greater than QoL properties or “requires greater technical know-how, and customized tuning then downloading an app”

So that the ability to become godlike is increased further, but on the same semi linear character progression path as all other power gain within the game.

[quote=“deoxy, post:4, topic:13068”]Meh, the basic idea is that certain things only take up a real amount of space is they aren’t part of something else. Once you have much of anything with a connection to your brain and some storage/computing of almost any kind, adding “built in mp3 player that you only hear in your head that makes no noise and takes exceedingly little power” would take no physical space. Several of the eye things would also go together like that, among lots of other things.

But for game balance reasons, I can see why that stuff might be left out. Wish it wasn’t though…[/quote]
To be honest, a lot of those things are more volume savers and checklist reducers than anything else. A character strong enough to reliably find and install CBMs probably had a bunch of MP3 players already, and they don’t take up much volume, but not having to remember to have it when you need it is nice.

Ditto for the weather reader, clock, alarm…
It’s stuff you could replace with 1 tiny item each, you could even tackle most with just 1 diver’s watch.

Others, like armor plating, are stuff that should affect encumbrance instead of internal slots. Giving you robocop armor shouldn’t hinder your ability to install hydraulic muscles, but it should make wearing clothes more of a challenge. It should also protect a helluva more, but then again, if it’s encumbrance it’d be balanced against armor instead of against other CBMs.

[quote=“Aabbcc, post:7, topic:13068”]Ditto for the weather reader, clock, alarm…
It’s stuff you could replace with 1 tiny item each, you could even tackle most with just 1 diver’s watch.

Others, like armor plating, are stuff that should affect encumbrance instead of internal slots. Giving you robocop armor shouldn’t hinder your ability to install hydraulic muscles, but it should make wearing clothes more of a challenge. It should also protect a helluva more, but then again, if it’s encumbrance it’d be balanced against armor instead of against other CBMs.[/quote]
Coolthulhu agrees with you.

I’m not sure I agree about the CBM plating. It’s a small increase that stacks with everything else. But the mutation armors that prevent you from wearing normal armor should be much better than they currently are.

I'm not sure I agree about the CBM plating. It's a small increase that stacks with everything else. But the mutation armors that prevent you from wearing normal armor should be much better than they currently are.
My point is that I don't think it should be a small increase that stacks with everything else.

If you’re going to get a set of CBM that make you look like robocop, then you should be walking around naked like robocop and be a walking tank. You shouldn’t be all that far from power armor, really.

Perhaps they make you about as agile as one, perhaps you need to figure out how to give yourself warmth without pushing encumbrance too far until you can supplement with other CBM like climate control, perhaps you’re just as limited as power armor in your ability to carry volume, perhaps you would need even more CBM to get carry volume (integrated holster? robocop approves).

But I have no doubt in my mind that you should be able to walk into a storm of gunfire naked, calmly headshot those criminals, and walk out without a scratch.

Which is why I believe it should give encumbrance and be balanced not by slots against other CBMs (which can stack with your gear), but against gear that shares the would same resource (encumbrance).

Same for mutations that give block you from wearing things, once you give up the idea of balancing them against other mutations, you can balance them against the gear they restrict you from carrying or the encumbrance they cause.

My point is that I don't think it should be a small increase that stacks with everything else.

If you’re going to get a set of CBM that make you look like robocop, then you should be walking around naked like robocop and be a walking tank. You shouldn’t be all that far from power armor, really.

Perhaps they make you about as agile as one, perhaps you need to figure out how to give yourself warmth without pushing encumbrance too far until you can supplement with other CBM like climate control, perhaps you’re just as limited as power armor in your ability to carry volume, perhaps you would need even more CBM to get carry volume (integrated holster? robocop approves).

But I have no doubt in my mind that you should be able to walk into a storm of gunfire naked, calmly headshot those criminals, and walk out without a scratch.

Which is why I believe it should give encumbrance and be balanced not by slots against other CBMs (which can stack with your gear), but against gear that shares the would same resource (encumbrance).

Same for mutations that give block you from wearing things, once you give up the idea of balancing them against other mutations, you can balance them against the gear they restrict you from carrying or the encumbrance they cause.

CBM plating should be just as effective as medieval armor plating or a steel bib, “Bib SN-42 was designed to protect against bayonet attacks, small fragments of shrapnel, and 9mm pistol bullets with lead cores, providing protection against fire from a MP-38/40 submachine gun from distances of 100–150m, and a single shot from a 7.92×57mm Mauser rifle (like the Gewehr 41), but on the condition that the bullet went on a tangent.” (wiki)
So yeah you shouldnt tank everything but 9mm if it is based on that sort of plate. Now what they could do is introduce another version based on kevlar that would be as light as a OTV and wouldnt hinder you more than it would hinder a soldier.

The problem with this CBM is that it does not compare to mutations DT so CBM based chars are more weaker than a mutated one. They could solve this by adding Bio Plating, I dunno some sort of nano that would react to velocity (like mass effect shields) and would minimize the impact and from what I heard they are developing a nano fiber that is thougher than bulletproff vest, so it is not totaly out of question.

Also on topic these platings could be adapted to how much you want to use it (100%, 75%, 50% etc) and so it could affect your emcuberance and lets say that adapting CBM becomes a thing you could install “pouches” on the plating that would have the effect of how much more “pouches” you install the less protective it becomes. Now heres the thing, how are we going to balance such a thing against the equipments we already have ?

[quote=“Charlesilv4, post:10, topic:13068”]CBM plating should be just as effective as medieval armor plating or a steel bib, “Bib SN-42 was designed to protect against bayonet attacks, small fragments of shrapnel, and 9mm pistol bullets with lead cores, providing protection against fire from a MP-38/40 submachine gun from distances of 100–150m, and a single shot from a 7.92×57mm Mauser rifle (like the Gewehr 41), but on the condition that the bullet went on a tangent.” (wiki)
So yeah you shouldnt tank everything but 9mm if it is based on that sort of plate. Now what they could do is introduce another version based on kevlar that would be as light as a OTV and wouldnt hinder you more than it would hinder a soldier.[/quote]
If you’re going to have a CBM that is basically robocop, including a profession that’s robocop in all but name having it, it should perform about as well as robocop, even if it means it’s some fancy metal instead of steel. After all, we already have fancy metals in the game that are harder than steel.
What I mean is this:

And especially:

See? impervious to regular firearms, but cumbersome as all hell and unable to wear more protection on top… kinda like wearing power armor without having it powered. That is what it should be like. Sufficient firepower should still wreck you ofc (like robocop).

Now, I’m not against other armouring/protection CBMs that aren’t as tough or as restricting. I’m all for their existence alongside the heavy robocop version so long as you can’t just stack them (or with, say, a mutated exoskeleton). Stacking dermal carbon mesh is fine, stacking outside armor plating is not.

I’m also ll for endgame content to include additional CBM that let you have your cake and eat it too, you’d be power armor, the CBM version: you’re tough but very hampered, but you can activate a CBM (at the cost of constant power consumption like power armor) and move normally.

Also on topic these platings could be adapted to how much you want to use it (100%, 75%, 50% etc) and so it could affect your emcuberance and lets say that adapting CBM becomes a thing you could install "pouches" on the plating that would have the effect of how much more "pouches" you install the less protective it becomes. Now heres the thing, how are we going to balance such a thing against the equipments we already have ?
I'm not sold on the idea of balancing through reduced armor, but I'm sold on the idea of more encumbrance for having a holster/pouch added by CBM to a body slot: you can add an automated holster to your leg so you are more robocop, but you eat leg encumbrance in turn as if you were wearing one.

You balance this against regular gear easily because it’s working under the same statistics: protection, encumbrance, warmth, storage, slots occupied, and of course, how hard it is to obtain. It’s just that you’re adding it to yourself via surgery instead of putting it on.

From the description, I always thought of the plating has being a thin layer of flexible metal rather than a full body exoskeleton like robocop.

The description does leave room for ambiguity, but what clinched it to me is the bionic cop profession. “Mortally injured in the line of duty, you were resurrected by the surgeons from the department’s revolutionary Cybercop program. Now, in these lawless times, you are truly the future of law enforcement.”, plus armed with a clone of the Auto 9?

Too much of a shoutout for the CBM not to be like it.