Cataclysm DDA 0.5 Released

Nice job!

Change log looks awesome :D!

Hi, im having trouble launching the new version (again) The text says:

“This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way”

I already deleted the past version and i redownloaded the windows build like 6 times.

Any help?

(Sorry for bad english if any)

I’ve updated the 0.5 tag on Github to point to a version with fewer lingering 0.4 references, after seeing one of our Mac devs asking about packaging. Hopefully I caught all of them, or at least most of them.

Also, new Mac version should be up soon, from the sounds of things :).

Happy survival, all!

Just downloaded the 0.5 Windows release, started a new map and walked into town…
I see dozens of cars, car frames, motorcycles, trucks, etc, everywhere. Couple minutes of wandering around and there seems to be between 20-30 of them just in this corner of the outskirts, haven’t even seen a zombie yet.
Is this intentional? It makes it a lot harder to go driving down the middle of town, but there are a lot of functional cars lying around, though most have <10% gas left so they’re more like traps than getaway vehicles.

Yea the trashed vehicles everywhere are intentional.
Still needs balancing for sure, but cluttering up the streets is the concept at least. Don’t know why you aren’t seeing zombies though

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:25, topic:1210”]Yea the trashed vehicles everywhere are intentional.
Still needs balancing for sure, but cluttering up the streets is the concept at least. Don’t know why you aren’t seeing zombies though[/quote]
I was mostly asking about the vehicles because around a third of them are still in working order, they’re just nearly out of gas and mostly situated such that you’d have to drive through several other cars (or buildings) to get out of town.

As far as the lack of zombies, I found about 10 houses more than 6 map tiles from the nearest store, in static spawn mode the outskirts of town are entirely devoid of undead threats.
The bears are out in force unfortunately, I’d rather have the hordes of zombies than several starving bears waiting for me outside.

Since I’ve seen a few people noticing NPCs: although we did make it easier to enable NPCs in this version (by moving the toggle into the options menu proper), we should note that NPCs are not completely fixed. They’re better than they were before, to be sure, but they’re still buggy and need work.

directional antenna.
One of my suggestions got added? Squeee. I feel all warm inside.

Beginning startup test.

How is something that works exactly as the rest of the code you already have for underground levels not robust or less robust than that? What exactly more do you want, can you explain?

We probably won't have that ready for .6 either - with a lot of the behind-the-scenes structural changes we're making it would have to be rewritten anyway.

It’s the same code that handles +z and -z levels, you simply just need to initialize top floors to be above ground the same way you need to initialize basements and caves to be underground. So what and why exactly you think needs to be written or re-written about it?

I don’t know if anyone else has the issue, but the desktop icon will not open the game for me, just spins for a couple of seconds and then disappears :/. I have to open the file itself so far it’s the only way, anyone else with this issue or just me?

The music submission thread is in the works, I take it?
Here you’ll find some good stuff. Here too. Something for the schizophrenic survivor.

oh god the cars. I LOVE THEM!!! I’m currently tearing down a few for parts for my rig. I found a trailer earlier, the only thing i’m worried about is going too fast and smashing into the ones on the road. I LOVE this release, so much better than the previous ones!

Thanks guys! phenomenal work!

Simply put, caves function differently than towers. There are lazy hacks which work for caves and rock, but poorly for sky. The code was submitted as a pull request at one point, and the comments there give a bit more detail about what needs work. If you want to continue discussion, that would be best handled over on Github, or in a separate topic (I’d suggest the modding or suggestions subforums).

[quote=“Nopkar, post:32, topic:1210”]oh god the cars. I LOVE THEM!!! I’m currently tearing down a few for parts for my rig. I found a trailer earlier, the only thing i’m worried about is going too fast and smashing into the ones on the road. I LOVE this release, so much better than the previous ones!

Thanks guys! phenomenal work![/quote]

Hehe, yeah, the cars are pretty nifty. I’m glad to have what I consider a good in-world excuse to practice mechanics :).

And, uh, yeah, watch out for collisions. They need a little tuning still, and we didn’t quite have time to do that properly before the release. On the other hand, it could lead to some amusing stories, so it’s perhaps not all bad…

Short answer: The code we have for underground z-levels isn’t anywhere near good enough either, and needs to be rewritten. See the Underground/Interior Construction thread for some of the requirements, with additional requirements being the ability to easily see, move, and shoot between z-levels, with appropriate monster behaviour at higher and lower z-levels, as a few examples. As Soron said, though, this discussion is better handled over on the github.

Awesome, I have been playing for a while now.
For some reason it feels as if dodging is disabled even tough it says it has been updated…
My dodging level is 4 and my character is yet to dodge at least one hit or a bite… ;o;

[quote=“SuicideRey, post:35, topic:1210”]Awesome, I have been playing for a while now.
For some reason it feels as if dodging is disabled even tough it says it has been updated…
My dodging level is 4 and my character is yet to dodge at least one hit or a bite… ;o;[/quote]

check your encumbrance. at 3 with no enc I can dodge most regular zed attacks. I don’t know if i’m just lucky or what.

one thing I do dislike and this has been a problem since forever is the sharp weapon sticking thing >.>

any ‘sharp’ weapon is utterly useless against Z’s greater in number than 2. Frustrating when you’re trying to go with a theme and you default to a pipe as a better weapon than your combat knife.

[quote=“Nopkar, post:36, topic:1210”][quote=“SuicideRey, post:35, topic:1210”]Awesome, I have been playing for a while now.
My dodging level is 4 and my character is yet to dodge at least one hit or a bite… ;o;[/quote]

check your encumbrance. at 3 with no enc I can dodge most regular zed attacks. I don’t know if i’m just lucky or what.

one thing I do dislike and this has been a problem since forever is the sharp weapon sticking thing >.>

any ‘sharp’ weapon is utterly useless against Z’s greater in number than 2. Frustrating when you’re trying to go with a theme and you default to a pipe as a better weapon than your combat knife.[/quote]
Oh why thank you I’m not new but I’m not yet sure of all the mechanics the game has, so I didn’t take encumbrance will affect my dodging (how silly) oh well I took off some of my clothes and now I seem much more agile and the dodging works too.

Another thing is, I get blisters on my face everytime I load a game, so um, that’s silly.

I never had trouble getting my weapons stuck in zombies, I ussually manage to “yank them free” fast enough.

yanking it free takes quite a few movement points meaning Z’s get strikes on you quite quickly.

I’m not sure about the blisters, do they do any real damage or is it just a momentary notification that goes away? also do you have anything covering your mouth that would make you too warm or cold?

[quote=“Nopkar, post:38, topic:1210”]yanking it free takes quite a few movement points meaning Z’s get strikes on you quite quickly.

I’m not sure about the blisters, do they do any real damage or is it just a momentary notification that goes away? also do you have anything covering your mouth that would make you too warm or cold?[/quote]
I see, still never really gave me any trouble…

Blisters make my speed go up to 25 I even took everything off to test it, they appear everytime I load a game and make my speed go to 25 sometimes puts me in a sticky situation… I don’t think cold makes blisters appear either.

What are you talking about? I haven’t seen they even considered putting music in the game.