Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.B Brin released. (Now with MAC builds!)

[quote=“LordOfganza, post:60, topic:7916”]Dear Developers of Cataclysm DDA

I would like to personally thank you for making a native Mac Build (with executable!) available in such a short time. When I heard the new version was released, I got really excited about all the extra content, but frustrated for the lack of a Mac version. I posted a comment on your Facebook page and the reply said that none of the Devs used Mac, so there was not to be any expectation of a Mac build anytime soon. I was also criticized by members of the group on FB for being senseless in my requests for the mac version, that I should get windows or play the game in a VM.
I entered your webpage today just hoping something might have changed, and there it was! I followed BluePirot’s instructions before even trying to run the game, just to make sure everything went fine, and it has (at least so far), thanks BluePirot!

Anyway, thanks so much once more for caring for us, Mac users, as well. It means a lot, seriously.
Congratulations on an epic update for a truly epic game. Job superbly well done!

Luis[/quote]

Dev here.

So far as I know, that Mac build is courtesy of a supporter (update: mrfrostee) on reddit. We’d love to support Mac more than we do, but none of us has one on which to build/test/etc, and we’re not likely to spend the general-donations fund on a Mac just to fix that.

So we’re duly appreciative of folks who put in their time and effort to get DDA running on an OS we don’t have at hand. Our thanks too.

[quote=“BluePirot, post:47, topic:7916”]Awesome! Thank you so much for the Mac builds, this is the coolest roguelike I’ve ever played!

A note to mac users who use a CASE SENSITIVE filesystem (rare but we’re out there) - you’ll need to edit the info.plist file located in CataclysmX.app to be named Info.plist in order for the mac builds to run for you.

Also I needed to install homebrew and run
brew install sdl2 sdl2_ttf sdl2_image lua lua51

but after that things were marvelous!!! Very cool improvements I can’t believe this is only the B![/quote]
Hey another mac player here checked back here to see if anything came out that I could use and was pleasantly surprised when there was. Extremely disappointed when it didn’t start properly so I looked into the forums for a potential solution found this post followed the instructions and now it works like a charm. Thank you

God damn
FUCK OOOOOOFFFF you damn spam bot! No one cares!

Why so harsh? He just made one post, hardly spamming.

Apparently you missed the six or eight identical spamposts bubbadoo14 was referring to.

I get the feeling that vache missed the spam post completely and thought that bubbadoo14 was talking to me which I doubt and hope doesn’t count as some form of spamming.

Apparently you missed the six or eight identical spamposts bubbadoo14 was referring to.[/quote]
and the 6 more which was on another announcement thread.
The spambots are getting real obnoxious!

I hope this isn’t a stupid question, but what determines when a new stable build is released? I do appreciate the effort and work put into Cataclysm, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting MORE, lol.

I’m not sure what justifies a new stable build, but generally speaking (Not right now but usually) the experimental builds works fine and are updated fairly constantly.

The major goals of stable releases are:
Reminding people the project is still around, because some people don’t seem to get the ‘rolling release model’ where new features appear continuously.
Providing a target point for translations and tilesets, it’s incredibly hard to hit a moving target like our daily releases with translations and tileset additions, so the stable releases give us a point where we can sync them up.
Having an official bugfixing period before a release to try and nail down some bugs that might otherwise linger for a long time.

The actual time period is a function of the above goals, currently we’re aiming for once every two months, but that’s very likely to slip on a regular basis, and we’re not too bothered if it does. I’m planning on marking a number of issues as release blockers for 0.C as soon as I get back from the holidays, which is the first step in the release process.

I’m not sure what justifies a new stable build, but generally speaking (Not right now but usually) the experimental builds works fine and are updated fairly constantly.[/quote]

If you say so, lol. I’ve only just recently started playing the experimentals. 3 days into my toons life and i had already found over a dozen locations on the map around me that caused me to crash if I got to close. I went back to brin due to that.

Hi ddaguys, I just wanted to chime in and say that 0.B is beautiful and you are too. MShock, you and your tiles are double-beautiful.

I’m not sure what justifies a new stable build, but generally speaking (Not right now but usually) the experimental builds works fine and are updated fairly constantly.[/quote]

If you say so, lol. I’ve only just recently started playing the experimentals. 3 days into my toons life and i had already found over a dozen locations on the map around me that caused me to crash if I got to close. I went back to brin due to that.[/quote]

Probably a result of infighting being added recently. I’ve noticed one version crashed if turrets were fighting zombies. I grabbed a new version and that fixed it. But infighting is a major structural overhaul, so bugs are to be expected. That’s not really normal with experimental versions.

Oh dear god, there is soooooo much to update now on the Wiki…

^
This right here. We’ve got a few more crashes bouncing around then normal due to some fairly large additions (like monster factions). Normally we have quite a few less crashes bouncing around. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said stables hopefully come out every month or so, but sometimes we have things get bogged down in which case they can take quite a bit longer to come out. AFAIK the next one should be fairly soon assuming nothing goes horribly wrong (you’ll be able to tell because about a week before the release we lock down all changes except bugfixes and all changes to strings for the translators).