Can you put out fires with water?

Without stepping in the fire, that is.

I know how to drop an item on an adjacent tile, but there seems to be no option of pouring liquid anywhere but under your feet.

I’m thinking you have to go in, but a small fire shouldn’t be terribly damaging for the time to water it.

Oh that’s a good question!

I don’t think you can, but if you find a fire extinguisher you can apply it to the fire to put it out.

[quote=“Rivet, post:3, topic:3230”]Oh that’s a good question!

I don’t think you can, but if you find a fire extinguisher you can apply it to the fire to put it out.[/quote]

There is that, though I could swear that dumping water on fires worked too.

Dumping liquids on fires does work IIRC, though a little bit of water might not put out a big fire. You would probably need to step on the fire though, I don’t think you can currently pour liquids on the tile next to you.

Well I tried (D)ropping a water container over a fire. No dice.

It’s just that I use a shelter kit and I don’t want to leave fires around when I’m done camping. I guess, I’ll have to contend with burning myself, or lugging an extinguisher around.

Thanks for answers.

hm, thought you could Unload bottles of stuff into an adjacent tile. tried that?
Dropping it means you’re dropping the bottle of water itself.

Throw a plastic jug of water on a fire?

Throw a GLASS thing of water?

You could try (s)mashing whatever is on fire from an adjacent square.

Kick that fire’s ass!

i like the idea of being able to throw water on fires and not have to be on it to put it out. probably belongs in suggestions. needs to be limited. you shouldn’t be able to put out a raging inferno.

This is already in, the amount of liquid and the size of the fire are both counted for putting the fire out (or potentially just weakening it). Really all we need is a way to pour liquid onto an adjacent tile.

FYI you can’t smash items on the ground only terrain and furniture.

I guess now’s a good time to ask:

if you set an item on fire and then pick it up what happens?

It’ll be burnt.

Right but what happens to the fire?

Can you fight fires by just trying to juggle everything that’s burning?

I think if the object is removed the flame just keeps going for a while. I’ve used the mini flamethrower bionic to cook food that way, the flame just floats around long enough to cook a few pieces of meat. The fire seems to exist independent of the fuel.

You can put it out with alcohol as well, cause it won’t burn (strange, huh?).

[size=14pt]BUT THAT WOULD BE A WASTE OF GOOD LIQUOR[/size]

[quote=“HS1342, post:18, topic:3230”]You can put it out with alcohol as well, cause it won’t burn (strange, huh?).

[size=14pt]BUT THAT WOULD BE A WASTE OF GOOD LIQUOR[/size][/quote]
Actually any sort of alcohol under 100-proof (which is many) won’t really catch fire or burn (if it does at all) since it simply contains too much water.

History lesson! In fact the alcohol definition of “proof” comes from a burn check. Rum used to be mixed with gunpowder and the mixture would then be attempted to be lit on fire. If the mixture burned then the alcohol was deemed at least 100-proof, while if the mixture failed then the alcohol was deemed “under-proof” or less then 100-proof.

Yep. I use denatured alcohol to run a camping stove, basically anything less than 90% hydrocarbons won’t burn worth a damn. The only drinkable alcohol I’ve ever run it on was Everclear, which worked great. If I could afford to, I’d use it all the time, because I’m pretty sure the fumes from antifreeze or SLX are giving me cancer.