Can NPCs go along for the ride?

Soooo, the nearest city is crazy far away, and I’d prefer to not walk the entire time, so I wanna build a vehicle! But can my buddy McGovern hop onto a seat and ride with me? I don’t wanna leave him behind, he serves as extra storage, extra melee, distraction, and company! We haven’t known each other long, but I don’t wanna leave him behind inside a less-zombie-infested-city! Where I live is practically out of recourses and there isn’t much point in sticking around

Npcs will get in vehichles and automatically get into any seats that are available. I think they can also operate manual turrets if there hands are free.

Yes, if a seat is available they will automatically path to it and sit in it as soon as you step into a vehicle. If you’re building a vehicle from scratch or installing new seats, don’t forget the seat belts. Seriously, don’t.

Good point about the seatbelts, I think it might be easier to just take them from other cars rather than make them, thanks for the info! I figured that NPCs would get in, but I was not 100% sure

You can also hit cre(w) while in the vehicle building menu, to assign them certain seats. Some people will put seats in the back and give their NPCs reach attack weapons, like a steel spear, and they will attack anything they can reach while still in the vehicle.

Err, about the seatbelts, I always just get string when removing them. Do I need a higher mechanics level to fully get them back? Or is it just random chance? I see no reason why it would make is so you could never get the full seatbelt back.

Are said seat belts broken?

Yeah if the seatbelt’s broken (greyed out) you’re only going to get some of its components back. Though you could put some of those together to make a new short rope, which you could install as a seatbelt.

Are said seat belts broken?[/quote]

There is no “seat belt” item. A short rope transforms into a seat belt when installed in a car through the mysterious magic of game mechanics. Removing a seat belt should give you a short rope unless it’s destroyed (grayed out) in which case you get whatever the game feels like giving you.

What do you think I meant?

Okay, well that makes sense, kinda. I’d just add a seatbelt item myself if I made this game but whatever. Dang this forum is useful! I will still need a bunch more mechanic levels before I can actually build a reasonable vehicle, I got all the tools just need the skills. While I have everything I need, I have a bit of a side question: Is there anywhere to get vehicle related tools other than garages and hardware stores? As far as I know there isn’t. Sometimes I can catch a useless pumpjack in cars (I think that is the wrong thing but whatever that tool is that helps with wheels) but other than that not really much. I honestly almost never need to use them because I have plenty of strength.

You can craft any tools you need yourself if you have the skills and recipes.

Yes, I know about MAKING tools, and I already have the ones I need, but as I said, is there anywhere else to get vehicle-making tools other than hardware stores and garages? Besides, getting to the point where you can actually make said tools is a pain, you need tools to make tools for one thing, so finding them can be way easier. Like I said, anywhere ELSE to find them? That is all I ask.

The only other places I can think of are malls, mega stores, houses with garages and maybe basements and other small dungeons(like caves and such) oh and mines at least for welding tools.

The back of some gun stores might have tools you’ll need/use. Sometimes you can just get lucky and find stuff in houses, maybe it’s because I have a building mod and some of the houses have attached garages. Sometimes in front of gas stations there is an item next to the vending machine, I think maybe on a table or steel rack, but not all gas stations have them. I usually just take apart a fridge and a couple ovens, if I am having trouble finding stuff, since heating elements are what I usually am lacking. Not sure what else you want to know really. I usually end up finding something I need randomly on the dead, or somewhere I didn’t quite expect it, and that’'s nice sometimes.

If you are missing a welder a makeshift one is actually well with in a low lvl mechanics reach.

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/welder_crude/craft

Public works buildings often have mechanic tools.

What do you think I meant?[/quote]

My point was you shouldn’t expect to get a seat belt. I have found problems are often caused by the simple stupid stuff like expecting to end up with a seatbelt not a short rope.

Personally, I’d prefer to not be strapped in by a little bit of rope, a seatbelt is a little bit more than that.
Another question, is it possible for an NPC to pedal along with me? I like silent(ish) vehicles and bikes are a bit easier to make early on. Although pedaling with a NPC in the back and some storage in the back is a bit of a pain. Without the NPC it is possible, I’ve tried it before, but someone else to help with pedaling would be great!

[quote=“redxlaser15, post:19, topic:14290”]Personally, I’d prefer to not be strapped in by a little bit of rope, a seatbelt is a little bit more than that.
Another question, is it possible for an NPC to pedal along with me? I like silent(ish) vehicles and bikes are a bit easier to make early on. Although pedaling with a NPC in the back and some storage in the back is a bit of a pain. Without the NPC it is possible, I’ve tried it before, but someone else to help with pedaling would be great![/quote]
I thought that is whatever you call the two seater bike where both seats have pedals was for. Albeit I don’t know if it works and I have never found one(not that I looked for one intentionally)