Can I meet myself?

So I started a new character, didn’t like how it was going (Not enough to ‘checkout’ though, still breathing) and I started a new one to see if it would be better (Thinking it would be in a new world)
and I spawned in the same city! I could even see the parts of the map I had revealed before!

So can I meet my character as an NPC? I have them turned fully off, so what would happen?

If you committed suicide/died then the character’s dead body will be able to be found (with all of their inventory) at wherever they died. If you just did a save/quit then the character will be absent (supposedly they are either off someplace unknown or have been sucked into the void temporarily by aliens :P).

Thanks for the quick answer!

I’ve run two save games parallel to each other in this fashion. Of course they couldn’t meet up, but they could interact with one another’s belongings.
Being out of synch with the other’s time doesn’t actually matter, leading to funny situations where one character sleeps for three days solid, moves some things around, and then the other guy interacts with the new arrangement three days in the past.
Kind of a fun approach, team-survival with yourself.

here’s hoping we’ll eventually be able to play co-op in this game!

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:4, topic:2645”]I’ve run two save games parallel to each other in this fashion. Of course they couldn’t meet up, but they could interact with one another’s belongings.
Being out of synch with the other’s time doesn’t actually matter, leading to funny situations where one character sleeps for three days solid, moves some things around, and then the other guy interacts with the new arrangement in his three days past.
Kind of a fun approach, team-survival with yourself.[/quote]

That’s a cool idea!

Let it be known I play with myself - in Cataclysm.

Masturbation +15 to moral.

forever alone :frowning:

Could lead to some interesting puzzle-solving solutions - like, if you’re trapped in a burning building, quit out and then load another character to go and watch it finish burning from outside. Or tag-team a boss monster.

I would love to see this game go real-time co-op. After all, some roguelikes work in real-time, even with most of the complicated roguelike features.

It’s not exactly incredibly likely to happen to Cataclysm, however. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would just be happy to see a client that allows for playing on a shared world. There’s the SSH server that you can play on that will let you re-use worlds, incorporating that into the main trunk of the code would be kinda awesome.

A shared world would require some kind of independent time-tick rather than the current auto-paused world. Otherwise the group of zombies charging at you would get a step closer every time your buddy moved his character.

Shared worlds already exist over ssh.
Players cannot interact directly with one another, however their items/corpses show up along with any of their changes to the environment.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:4, topic:2645”]I’ve run two save games parallel to each other in this fashion. Of course they couldn’t meet up, but they could interact with one another’s belongings.
Being out of synch with the other’s time doesn’t actually matter, leading to funny situations where one character sleeps for three days solid, moves some things around, and then the other guy interacts with the new arrangement three days in the past.
Kind of a fun approach, team-survival with yourself.[/quote]

Say, is your name by chance… Tyler Durden?

Does the server still work? I’d love a link…

Actually, while players can’t directly communicate with one another, players can carve notes onto items and leave them for other players to find. If players set on a specific means of communication, it would be possible to create a BBS-like system using items to relay messages to and from one another while playing. It wouldn’t really be too much different from communicating on the forum, except of course for the character limit on what you can inscribe.

Example: Ten players get together and decide to play a shared world. Before they start they make it clear to one another that they’re going to communicate using skewers, since skewers don’t occur naturally and many can be made from one heavy stick. One player is going to find, say, a gas station for example, and mark it with say, a sign. Because the world starts out small, the players should start out close to one another if they all start playing at the same time. The player finds a nice gas station or whatever nearby, makes a sign outside, inscribes a note onto a skewer, and drops it in front of the sign. The other players come across the sign in their worlds and the note, and they inscribe their own notes on a skewer and leave them there for the others to read, detailing their plans, problems, requests, questions, etc.

Via such means it should be possible for players to coordinate and travel together from location to location in the game world and kinda do things together, even if they can’t see one another, without needing to coordinate outside of the game world beyond the initial agreement on means of communication. Afterwards, the details can be included in the MOTD along with the coordinates of the currently agreed upon hub for communication and exchanging of items among players.

Might be clunky, awkward, and it relies a fair bit on a honor system (like not burning all the skewers ‘for the lulz’ or stealing items left there that are marked for other players who are having trouble finding something due to a bunch of people sharing a finite world, etc). Still, it can work, and if that’s how this server mentioned is already set up, I apologize.

Something that would help the whole thing be a little less clunky is if players can read the notes without having to pick up the items, using (e)xamine. The description box of the highlighted item could show the item blurb along with the inscribed note. This would make it a little less exasperating to read and respond in kind.

Now I’m musing on starting a party of adventurers who communicate, travel together and specialize in different fields and roles. Maybe the archer doesn’t need a katana, but the melee guy would sure love to have it. Maybe those two rip apart some vehicles and leave the items in a spot for the team mechanic to cobble together some nice vehicles for the three of them. Could be fun times.

A very good idea for multiplayer, but clumsy. Why not tradtional coop, other than the coding difficulty?
Still, it’s strating to sounds like CatacDDA: Paralell Universes.

See, I should test that with the fire, because if my understanding is correct, you might be able to watch it burn safely from outside, then load up the guy INSIDE the building, only to have him surrounded by ashes and rubble because he wasn’t present while the tiles he was standing on were on fire.

That seems like cheating, and yet, fascinating. I might tinker with this later…

See, I should test that with the fire, because if my understanding is correct, you might be able to watch it burn safely from outside, then load up the guy INSIDE the building, only to have him surrounded by ashes and rubble because he wasn’t present while the tiles he was standing on were on fire.

That seems like cheating, and yet, fascinating. I might tinker with this later…[/quote]

Well, when I last activated a Resonance Cascade (02Feb), it seemed like absolutely nothing happened…maybe it’s some weird portal effect? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: