Camelbaks

How about camelbaks? They are basically a bag of water carried in a small backpack type deal that you put on like a backpack, and a long “straw” extends to the front so you can easily drink. I have one that I was issued by the Army, but there are also civilian ones.

They would be equipped like a clothing/equipment, but could hold water and you can drink from it. Also, since the camelbak is made to be used in with little to no effort, it wouldn’t take as much time as normally drinking, say, a bottle of water.

Here’s a picture if you don’t know what I’m talking about.

It shouldn’t be too hard to put in once backpacks and clothing actually count as containers.

I am all for this. Maybe have it contain 1-2 liters of water. And less storage space than a regular backpack.

Generally they are not designed to carry anything at all other than water. (It is actually a backpack with a plastic water bladder inside, so you could presumably stuff some extra items into it.) You can often find backpacks that have a separate pocket that can fit one of these bladders though.

Yeah, I like this. Used them myself awhile ago, they’re pretty damn handy-- although personally I’m a sucker for canteens on the belt. Also to be honest I wouldn’t like to shove anything else in the pack with the bladder, if you overfill it or sit down/fall etc you could burst it.

Additionally how about a modified backpack?

Tailoring 2
Tools: Sewing kit, knife
Materials: Backpack, rubber hose, thread, rags, gallon jug.

Functionally identical to a backpack, just with water storage capability.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:5, topic:2620”]Tailoring 2
Tools: Sewing kit, knife
Materials: Backpack, rubber hose, thread, rags, gallon jug.[/quote]
IIRC the original camelbaks were made with a thick plastic that would not break, but was flexible like a plastic bag.

Maybe it might take a higher level and something like this:
Tailoring 4
Tools: Sewing kit (20-ish), knife, soldering iron (10)
Materials: Backpack, rubber hose, rags (2), plastic bags (4)

What do you think?

I second that!

[quote=“Otaku, post:6, topic:2620”]IIRC the original camelbaks were made with a thick plastic that would not break, but was flexible like a plastic bag.

Maybe it might take a higher level and something like this:
Tailoring 4
Tools: Sewing kit (20-ish), knife, soldering iron (10)
Materials: Backpack, rubber hose, rags (2), plastic bags (4)

What do you think?[/quote]
The design I posited was supposed to be just a general survivors’ hybrid backpack/camelbak, more on the backpack side, sorry I didn’t clarify that.
Yours looks fine. I’d still say switch out with plastic bottles or a gallon jug instead though, while camelbaks are made of superior, thicker plastic bags as already mentioned, I have had them pop before during strenuous stuff. In such a situation would you risk carrying something made out of crisp packets or shopping bags when you have perfectly good PET bottles lying around? :stuck_out_tongue:

of course, instead of hauling loot an actual camelbak would be perfect for long exploration or combat duties in cata, as they are very, very easy to wear.
You could certainly wear a backpack or rucksack over the top without incident.
Make an actual camelbak I’d go for -1 or maybe even -2 encumbrance. maybe 4 volume storage, and 2~l water, having it function as a canteen/clothing?