Burying corpses

one method of disposing of bodies besides the resource intensive fire or acid would be the ability to dig holes to bury corpses in.
you could then construct grave markers on top of them (like makeshift wooden ones or more complex shrines out of stone) to help payrespects for fallen survivors or mark difficult foes.
one addition to this would be helping mitigate guilt damage to morale by burying children or other survivors

2 Likes

Last I checked, you can craft coffins for companions/pets that let you seal/bury them. You can see these options in the construction menu

1 Like

that still seems alot harder than just simply digging a pit and pushing them in though

Well, yeah. But seeing as your comment was about ‘paying respects’, I’d argue that the coffin burial is a lot better than ‘digging a pit and pushing them in’.

I was also upset, several months ago, when I tried burying my companion in a pit only to find it didn’t work. It has something to do, I think, with how the construction stuff works. It alters the tile, but does not affect items on that tile. That’s why the burial only works with the coffin item and only works when explicitly told to do so. That’s if I understand it right.

1 Like

I like the idea, what could be based off of it
A ‘mourning’ function for a burial plot sounds neat. An actual and useful ‘press F to pay respects’ that could allow you to leave flowers, food, drink, and/or allowing the character to pass a bit of time remembering the dead. The method of burial could determine initial moral boosts that would scale/depreciate due to time and traits.
Traits could add positive/negative modifiers to the moral change. Things like ‘spiritual’, “psychopath”, and/or losing humanity from cybernetics/mutations could even determine the ‘need’ for the character to do such a thing. Could play easily into Rp-ing too.
I could also see the use in being able to make a mass grave for practical/RP-ing reasons.

1 Like

Press F to pay respects.

2 Likes

I think somebody already beat you to that joke

1 Like