Burying

In one of my first runs, I tried to make a grave by digging a deep pit, putting the NPC in it, and filling the pit in afterwards … and the game filled in the pit under her body instead of on top of.

How difficult would something like that be to implement? My first thought is to have several layers of items at each square:

[ol][li]On top of a mound of dirt.[/li]
[li]At ground level.[/li]
[li]In a shallow pit.[/li]
[li]In a deep pit.[/li][/ol]

…but I don’t know how it would work out.

(Also, I don’t know how the game handles moving the massive amounts of dirt involved in digging. Perhaps that could be implemented as well?)

Ideally this would be something solved by proper z-level implementation where other z levels exist in the reality bubble at the same time. Essentially you’d dig through the floor of level 0 to the floor of level -1. You would toss the corpse onto that floor, then refill the dirt back in so that it becomes even with the rest of the floor of level 0.

Item layers sound easy in theory, but they aren’t trivial to implement.

For example, currently items in rubble are always buried in it. This is a bug (zombies killed over rubble get buried there), but it’s minor enough that no one took the time to fix it (because fixing it would probably take quite a bit of time).

Burial could be handled by making some sort of a grave terrain within which the body would be sealed.
But implementing burial would probably be a temporary measure, because as far as I know we will eventually have dead NPCs raising as zombies. So if you want to “pay respects”, make a funeral pyre instead.

If you want to remove trash, first try to burn it (most non-metal, non-rock stuff will burn in raging fire), then drive over the rest with a car.

Z-levels will probably solve it, but z-levels look quite far from here. DDA isn’t all that new, there are cash bounties on Z-levels and yet no one implemented them yet.

…I don’t think most of my characters will know that (not without seeing disturbed graveyards or the like). That will be awesome when it’s implemented!

Z-levels will probably solve it, but z-levels look quite far from here. DDA isn't all that new, there are cash bounties on Z-levels and yet no one implemented them yet.
...clearly I need to find a copy of SICP to raise my out-of-character Computers skill. :D

…I don’t think most of my characters will know that (not without seeing disturbed graveyards or the like). That will be awesome when it’s implemented![/quote]
Ehhh only living things turn into zombies. The cause of the zombification only affects living beeings, so anything that died uninfected is save of turning into a zombie.

Also what would YOUR reaction be while zombies roam the lands? Give them a burial, or take the save route of burning them?

if its anywhere near like in cataclysm id proly bury them at the chance of giving them a proper burial .
If they rise as a z it wouldn t realy be a problem as 1 when they are burried they ll surely have a hrad time unburrying. 2 if they manage to do that they are just another z of which we killed countless already .

edit:

Then again i might butcher them instead and make a pizza.

…I don’t think most of my characters will know that (not without seeing disturbed graveyards or the like). That will be awesome when it’s implemented![/quote]
Ehhh only living things turn into zombies. The cause of the zombification only affects living beeings, so anything that died uninfected is save of turning into a zombie.

Also what would YOUR reaction be while zombies roam the lands? Give them a burial, or take the save route of burning them?[/quote]

None of the NPCs would be “uninfected” unless they were living in a… I don’t know, somewhere where they didn’t drink water.

The infection/blob needs at least a minimum mass in your body, so unless you have the minimum mass you won’t turn after death. Cleaning water will eliminate most of the blob in it, so you could be uninfected for quiet some time (and it would also depend on what you drank BEFORE the cataclysm as the blob was in the groundwater for quiet some time).
So some ppl may be uninfected depending on their circumstances (drank only processed drinks, was in a good shelter etc.), but most would go the save path and burn their dead as soon as they see that the dead are roaming the streets if they want to pay respect to the dead person. (or butcher and eat them, sometimes that is the better way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Why not create a “grave” terrain, that ou can create with a shovel and dirt and a corpse?

Better still:

[ul][li]Shallow grave: requires shallow pit, corpse, and digging 2.[/li]
[li]Grave: requires full-depth pit, corpse, digging 2.[/li][/ul]

Can you throw them into a stove and dispose of bodies that way?

I’ve always paid my respects to NPCs and dead player characters with a couple bursts from a flamethrower and I read a book of poems until the fire goes out.

[quote=“Burnt Earth, post:11, topic:8881”]Can you throw them into a stove and dispose of bodies that way?

I’ve always paid my respects to NPCs and dead player characters with a couple bursts from a flamethrower and I read a book of poems until the fire goes out.[/quote]
Nice!

(From the descriptions, I think the book of essays probably has some appropriate material as well.)