Bullet Tipped Arrow Heads

I will just leave it here.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/06/04/bow-mag-bullet-tipped-arrow-heads

$40 for six

ahahahahahahaha. Just use a shotgun if you want to kill something dead. $0.24 for a shell. IE $1.44 for six.

Just “find a way to” put a bullet in one, not all that hard. Dangerous but not hard.

I can see it’s use in cataclysm (Makes noise where it hits instead of on your person, effectively attracting monsters away from you)

However, i have no idea what it’s purpose in real life is. Despite misconceptions, arrows are plenty deadly, which is the reason they were used for hunting and warfare for most of human history. All you are doing is denying your arrow’s penetration so it can push a bullet in instead. And i am plenty sure the advantage of driving the bullet in point blank is lost when the explosion has no barrel to concentrate it’s force through.

Fair enough, but a rock/firecracker does the same.

However, i have no idea what it's purpose in real life is.
To kill things dead. The bullet explodes on impact and, depending on the ammo used, shoots them or explodes them. Retarded since you could just shoot them, but the use is a MUCH larger hole than actually shooting them.
is lost when the explosion has no barrel to concentrate it's force through.
Bullets are surprisingly powerful without barrels. Accurate too. Little known fact: Every single bullet will hit the mark in exactly the same spot as the last shot if set up with the exact same parameters. Works for every casing and barrel.

The difference is this:
Arrow:
|
-----|
|

Bullet:
|
-|
|
Deeper impact, bleed more.

Multi-staged ammunition:
|
/

-|
/

|
Giant ass fucking wound, deep impact, BLOOD WILL FLOW!

It is quite amusing just how easy this is to do with ammo. Bullets in bullets.
One of my mates CLAIMED he put a bullet in a bullet in a shotgun slug. He showed me a pic of the Kangaroo he shot. A chasm with a large and small hole. Ie 2 bullets and an explosion.

I personally believed him… You don’t argue with a master of arms for a bikie gang.

Is it just me or am I the only one seeing something potentially wrong with this… bullets on arrows… I fear for drunk red-necks everywhere.

That aside an explosive bolt/arrow would be pretty awesome to have in game, not highly unbelievable too I’d say.

Yes, it will kill something. What i meant was more of “This looks very impractical.”

[quote=“TheRealTenman, post:4, topic:1637”]Multi-staged ammunition:
|
/

-|
/

|
Giant ass fucking wound, deep impact, BLOOD WILL FLOW![/quote]
I’m just going to point out that the design for these provides no penetration from the arrow (It’s a blunt delivery mechanism), so there is no compound wound.

I wasn’t aware life was an LTI system. “Exact same parameters” is basically a copout tautology meaning “if everything is the same, then everything is the same.” But really, when is everything the same?

This can go in the idea pile for sure.

Issues (Cataclysm specific):
Good:
Firearm rounds are more easily obtainable than quality broadheads, so even if the damage is similar it may well be a win.
I’d think it’d be easier to make one of these dealies than to make a bonna-fide broadhead, and I’d think this would easily outperform a simple “pointy tip” arrow.
Noise at target is useful, and after the throwing range nerf that is going to happen at some point, this is a great option for projecting a noisemaker at range.
Fits great with the “scavenge and improvise” tone of the game.

Bad:
Reusability is one of the major benefits of arrows, this sacrifices that.
Short-range, the noise-at-target is definitely a win, long-range it may well not be. (currently it’s a no-brainer, need those roaming mobs)

Abso-freakin-lutely! :slight_smile:

Damage wise, It would underperform both, a gun and an arrow. Which is why it’s impractical. You can see the wound it delivers in the video itself, which is so shallow, the presenter can pull the fragments out with his bare fingers.

The power from the bow is wasted as the arrow strikes with it’s large blunt tip, and as mentioned before, the explosives in the cartridge don’t have time to properly drive the bullet forward without a barrel. Of course, that’s with a .357 magnum round, maybe if it used a shotgun shell or if the cartridge sat exposed on the shaft through videogame magic, making them true bullet tipped arrow heads. So that it’d use the bullet like an arrow head before igniting the charge…

Yes, that is how it must work. The ammunition will sit fully exposed like an arrow head in front of the shaft, that way, the cartridge detonates inside the victim as described by Tenman’s compound wound explanation.

No.

Nope.

no.

[quote=“ballfairy, post:11, topic:1637”]No.

Nope.

no.[/quote]

[quote=“100Rads, post:12, topic:1637”][quote=“ballfairy, post:11, topic:1637”]No.

Nope.

no.[/quote][/quote]

[quote=“Bladerock, post:6, topic:1637”]Yes, it will kill something. What i meant was more of “This looks very impractical.”

I’m just going to point out that the design for these provides no penetration from the arrow (It’s a blunt delivery mechanism), so there is no compound wound.[/quote]

| Skin
/ Exploded skin caused by the explosion aka bullet being activated.
\ Flesh exposed by the explosion aka bullet being activated.
-| Single bullet
/ Flesh exposed by the explosion aka bullet being activated.
\ Exploded skin caused by the explosion aka bullet being activated.
| Skin
But in any case:

[quote=“gtaguy, post:13, topic:1637”][quote=“100Rads, post:12, topic:1637”][quote=“ballfairy, post:11, topic:1637”]No.

Nope.

no.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Seems comical.

But I might be convinced that exploding arrows a la Predator or Rambo is an interesting idea.

Aerodynamics thrown out the window (jesus fucking christ it’s topheavy)
Penetration thrown out the window (bullet doesn’t have a barrel, rounded arrow is shit)
Explosion might do some damage, but no more than a simple bullet would do

The diversion of sound is the /only/ benefit I can see.

Why not just pull the primer and make an explosive on the end in the first place?

If you get a good conical space between the explosive and the enemy it makes a heavy penetrating round, with less damage.

But yeah, why not just attach the primer on the end and make a bomb on it instead?

[quote=“TheRealTenman, post:14, topic:1637”][quote=“gtaguy, post:13, topic:1637”][quote=“100Rads, post:12, topic:1637”][quote=“ballfairy, post:11, topic:1637”]No.

Nope.

no.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Would rigging a 40mm grenade that the milkor shoots make a better alternative?

Worked for Arnold.