Building a bridge?

I couldn’t find any info with searching, but is there a way to build a bridge? I couldn’t find a way either to fill in shallow water (basically to make a road through swamp)

There isn’t one at the moment, but as far as I know, only deep water can stop cars (when more than 66% of all wheels are in deep water, the car disappears), so you should be able to drive through swamp just fine.

In that case couldn’t you build a vehicle spanning the river as a bridge? Just strip shopping carts and other things to get extra light frames, and lay them out with aisles (whatever the name of the thing you can walk fast over) over them.

It doesn’t work that way. I’ve tried.

You could have a mobile bridge with the boats mod, but it wouldn’t transport other vehicles. If one boat was too short, you could stack several next to each other.

Even with boats mod, the only way of transporting a vehicle would be to place it partially in the water, add floating parts, deconstruct wheels and then reconstruct wheels back on the other side.

You could have a mobile bridge with the boats mod, but it wouldn’t transport other vehicles. If one boat was too short, you could stack several next to each other.

Even with boats mod, the only way of transporting a vehicle would be to place it partially in the water, add floating parts, deconstruct wheels and then reconstruct wheels back on the other side.[/quote]

why do not disasemble car and pack it inside backpack? i did this to have some way to quickly move in subway system

yes new players will have problems (battery, torch, duct tape) but bionic users will have joint torsion and integrated toolset

You add a long line of pipes extending from the car and cover the end with tires, and then +66% of your tires will never get into the water.

Along the lines of “disassemble and transport”, make a folding vehicle. List of parts that are foldable
Foldable seat
Foldable light frame
Cloth roof
Wheel chair wheel
Casters
Foot pedals
Hand rims
Wire bike basket
Controls

Another reason I wish I could code. So I could make it possible to build river crossings/eliminate water

Teach yourself! There’s plenty of resources available online. That feature may be tougher than you’d think to code though.

I think it would be possible and even rather simple to write a platform construction that could be build only on deep water and would revert to deep water when destroyed (and possibly a second platform for shallow water). It wouldn’t even require dealing with source code, just jsons (meaning you could add and test it without compiling a game, just change files and run the game).

If done this way, the platform could transport vehicles, catch on fire, carry furniture and items. It wouldn’t exactly be a bridge, because it could be built in the middle of a river.

Hmm, I haven’t looked into constructions. I’ll poke around later.

Edit: poked around construction and terrain jsons. Looks like you’re right. No time to code right now, but I’ll try to get a PR up in a few hours.

Edit 2: also, thank you to whomever set up a robust enough construction and terrain system to make this easy. Hard work on systems can be less interesting than whipping up easy things like this, but it pays off for all of us in the future.

[quote=“jokermatt999, post:12, topic:7663”]Hmm, I haven’t looked into constructions. I’ll poke around later.

Edit: poked around construction and terrain jsons. Looks like you’re right. No time to code right now, but I’ll try to get a PR up in a few hours.

Edit 2: also, thank you to whomever set up a robust enough construction and terrain system to make this easy. Hard work on systems can be less interesting than whipping up easy things like this, but it pays off for all of us in the future.[/quote]

:0

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:11, topic:7663”]I think it would be possible and even rather simple to write a platform construction that could be build only on deep water and would revert to deep water when destroyed (and possibly a second platform for shallow water). It wouldn’t even require dealing with source code, just jsons (meaning you could add and test it without compiling a game, just change files and run the game).

If done this way, the platform could transport vehicles, catch on fire, carry furniture and items. It wouldn’t exactly be a bridge, because it could be built in the middle of a river.[/quote]

While you’re at it, making a “bridge” set of road terrains (road, road with yellow stripes, and a guide rail that reverts to the bridge road when smashed) that then reverted to deep water would be a welcome upgrade from the current setup, and perhaps make boat-enabling easier down the road. It would require some C++ to swap 'em into mapgen but I’ll be glad to help with that aspect.

Now you’re making me into the sort of person that blows up bridges! I love it.

Pull request sent for the basic pontoon bridge! It’s a bit of a project to start on at the moment, as each bridge tile requires 2 55 gallon drums, 2 wooden barrels, or 2 30 gallon drums, as well as a long rope or a vine. Numbers can be tweaked of course, but I figured it would be difficult to make a bridge by yourself that could span potentially infinitely. Also, since (AFAIK) the Z level code isn’t quite like Dwarf Fortress’s in that constructions would collapse if unsupported for N tiles, I didn’t want the silliness of just a tiny wood ‘n’ nail bridge spanning huge rivers. I’ll let the more experienced folks handle the balancing though.

Now, onto a separate PR for the new bridge roads! :smiley:

Ayyeeee. Nice.

Yeah, it looks suitably nice. Not sure if having a shallow-water (one drum) version would be mandatory or just nice to have, but at this point I’m closer to nice-to-have.

Because we’re running out of blockers and a nifty feature like this ought to get in before the freeze, IMO.

Made it so! As far as I can tell, it should be ready. I don’t have time for the roads terrain at the moment, but I was going to start that separately anyway since it’d need a code update too.

One or two more things and I’ll see about including it in tonight’s merging.