Building a bridge?

ermagherd

Yeah, it’s merged. “Dock” is the unit for shallow water (sink logs and work with those; shallow is waist deep, max), and in deep water you make a pontoon bridge.

Helluva construction project if the river is any wider than a single tile, but now it’s possible.

This is the greatest thing that has happened to me with this game so far :0

Possible sig.

Would it be possible to use this “bridge” to create your own island in the middle of a large river? :open_mouth: Also, please tell me the bridge wont collapse under too much weight, my characters have always had bad experiences with swimming, damn jawed terrors and drowning Zombie Hordes.

Yup, but at the moment there’s only 2 types of terrain added: a dock that can be built in shallow water that’s fairly stable, and a pontoon bridge that is a little tougher to walk on. Weight doesn’t sink them, but they are smashable, so explosions would likely be bad for them. I may look into making an artificial island terrain, but at the moment, I’ve made setting up a bridge a fairly involved construction project, so an island would be rather difficult. It’d make for a nice long term project for survivors though.

If they are smashable, does this mean zombies can swim under the bridge and smash the supports or something to sink the whole place?

Not at this time. It’s tile by tile, and they’re passable so zombies shouldn’t smash them. When the z level update is completed, that should be possible, I’m guessing.

There could be a loader addition for a vehicle. You use it and it can dig up land from normal spots, and if you dump it on water it turns to shallow, and then to dirt. If the fill effect was 3x3 it would ease how much dirt you’d need, otherwise you’d need a whole lot of it. Maybe a drill tile construction which can generate rubble around it when powered. If it’s surrounded and can’t place more it turns off, reducing the risk of buggy behavior.

I’d been giving those some thought. It’s a big project, but it’d add a lot IMO. I made a topic on the drawing board for input: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=8171.0

[quote=“jokermatt999, post:16, topic:7663”]Pull request sent for the basic pontoon bridge! It’s a bit of a project to start on at the moment, as each bridge tile requires 2 55 gallon drums, 2 wooden barrels, or 2 30 gallon drums, as well as a long rope or a vine. Numbers can be tweaked of course, but I figured it would be difficult to make a bridge by yourself that could span potentially infinitely. Also, since (AFAIK) the Z level code isn’t quite like Dwarf Fortress’s in that constructions would collapse if unsupported for N tiles, I didn’t want the silliness of just a tiny wood ‘n’ nail bridge spanning huge rivers. I’ll let the more experienced folks handle the balancing though.

Now, onto a separate PR for the new bridge roads! :D[/quote]

Hey, my apologies for not being able to get the bridge-roads into 0.B. Ran out of time. Will see about 'em once the freeze lifts.

IRL pontoon bridge also like a dumb - we can not swim under them. only between pontoons.
it is step one
and step two - who allow you to drive over steel construction? we can park our loot-bike within our tank-house?

it is a construction and car will smash construction to junk metal, if it is a construction, or push them if construction is like a car.
what is a bridge from the point of view of a game-engine?

usual bridge it is a… damb. i.e ground line with pave over it and fences by the sides of this road. or maybe not a damb, but river - it is a fake, and it is not a river but chain of a lakes between “bridges”.

i think - if we start to program bridgebuilding feature for game engine - we can have a hawl cars because we teach engine to overlap one tile over other. as a bug-feature, i guess :slight_smile:

but this is a hard work.

and in passing we should rewrite the procedure which calculates how many different freight is capable to transport this or that car.
for packages in a luggage carrier it will be necessary to conduct calculation not only of the volume but also weight.
then it will be possible to talk about несущесй abilities of bridges on which it will be possible to drive the car.
or to forget about bridges.

the bridge will give us the chance of use of long trailers and semi-trailers.

And don’t forget about the fords. A truck is easily able to wade shallow water. A tank with a snorkel can go fully underwater. Though this is probably not a very useful feature for the game.

Whoa whoa, holy necro! Someone get me a bat, this thread needs a pulping!

1 Like

easy man. easy, cmon! :slight_smile:

some ideas need to revisite them. from time to time. some ideas is floating in the air and if not one - then other - catch them and work about them.

so… seems i overlooked with time of last comment. well - it is because of transfer forum onto new site-engine which work with messages other way then old site.

there is nothing impossible - there are only not enough time and not enough experience. I think, as apple-trees will blossom on Mars, and by then, maybe, God willing, and a problem with bridges and trailers in our game we will master.
“give me a point of support and I will turn Earth”(с)Archimedes from Sirakuz

2 Likes