Bionics Package

Thanks for explanations Rivet.

I have not any intention of spoiling the joy of new additions, expanding variety of bionics or Rivet’s work, but doesn’t it seem a little OP-ed?

To start with pre-installed set of bionics without the need to search and install them (with not always beneficial results) and to have weapon from the start. Correct me if I’m wrong but many of professions which might be having weapons are starting without it (law enforcer, for example).

However, it could give player ability to jump straight to the action, so please consider it as a little grumbling from “I want rough start and hard survival” camp, rather than critic.

This is the idea right here.

In classic roguelikes you get to start with a sword and some armor or a magic staff and some spellbooks and iron rations or something of the sort; this is a similar line of thought.

To be honest, we haven’t really had any decent cyborg starts until now.
IIRC I think we had one that gave a few random CBMs and a power source? Can’t remember how many versions ago that was though.

These new professions all feel pretty balanced to me so far. Most balanced with downsides, others costing more via points etc.
e.g Bionic soldier starts with some basic skills, some nice, functional CBMs and a great rifle-- but caseless ammo is pretty rare and initially you’re only powered by a joint torsion ratchet, so good luck powering that night vision all night.

Bionic Assassin: I’m getting a terminator vibe here, same with razorboy/girl.
Bionic Monster… Just what it says on the tin-- Also pixelated vision is 100% awesome.
For that matter bionic patient might be fun when you can uninstall defective CBMs.

On that note, as to the older bionic professions: why does the bionic thief get the briefcase SMG while the bionic spy doesn’t? o_0
Feels just like something straight out of James Bond or Ghost in the Shell.

I’m not entirely sure what the deal there is. It really seems like the secret agent profession should start with some kind of gun, doesn’t it?

I had an idea for another bionic: Grapple Gun.
Since z-levels aren’t in, all this does is duplicate the effect of a 30’ rope for the purpose of escaping pits (and counts as having Throwing 6 for this purpose).