Bionic Suggestion Thread

I’m a big fan of the bionics system, but I’ve always thought it could be fleshed-out a bit (ba-dum-tss?).
So, without lengthy preamble, here’s my two cents:

Multi-tier Bionics- I always love the feeling of installing new Power Storage CBMs, and I think it’d be fun to have common, low-level versions of certain bionics (e.g. Fingertip Laser mk.I- “Basically a laser pointer, but could be used to start fires with the help of a magnifying glass. Might improve aim slightly.”), mid-range versions of the bionics like the ones currently implemented, and super rare, high-end bionics that could really mess some shiz up. The Fingertip Laser mk.III, for example, could have a chance of slicing off an opponent’s limbs at a great distance (regular zombie to crawling zombie), be able to start raging fires, cut through metal bars, and drastically improve your aim as a passive function.

Bionic Transit- Literally no idea how this would be best-implemented, but I’d personally enjoy having the option to like, install wheels in my feet or something. Perhaps a retractable hang-glider for when flying is added to the game?

Total Conversion Bionics- At the sacrifice of your humanity, you’ve become something new, something better. I have no thoughts on how this could be best implemented, but I feel like it’d be fun to play as a brain in a jar, sitting inside some superalloy behemoth. Inactive turrets, salvaged power armor, tank treads, and stuff like that could be used to craft this CBM.

Bionic Combatants- I’ve gotten to the point where I feel kinda OP, and I’d love it if there were some things in the world that could take me down with relative ease. EMP grenades are nice, but I’ve never once encountered anyone but myself using them. Perhaps a weak, low-range craftable EMP Blaster Rifle that could temporarily disable certain bionics, and a more powerful version that could be found in labs or in the possession of scientist NPCs, capable of disabling all internal bionics for several turns at a long range.
Additionally, it’d be nice to see a few NPCs here and there who truly loathe bionic humans, and would attack them on sight.

NPC Bionics- I don’t even know if this is already a thing, but it’d be really cool if some survivor NPCs spawned with some random bionics. In addition to being a source for evil characters to harvest CBMs from, I think it’d pose a unique challenge to gameplay that would make me more inclined to think about my combat choices.

Custom Bionics- Likely difficult to implement, as with any sort of custom crafting, but I think it could be cool.

Advanced Power Armor Integration- Just being able to use your power armor with your bionics in more ways than just powering it.

New Bionics Suggestions-
Implanted Cryogenics- Being able to freeze yourself internally and sleep until your power reserves run out would be really cool (ba-dum-tss???), at higher levels, even allowing you to skip seasons. This would definitely come with some amount of skill rust, unless your enhanced memory banks were active, but that extra power draw would likely lead to waking up and having to refuel.
Goddamn Laser Vision- I know there are already fingertip lasers, and though that’s neat, I’d love to have like, a cylon-eye that blasted things with lasers, a process that could happen automatically with your Bionic Combatives activated, just like the Monomolecular Blade and Fingertip Razors.
Implanted Grappling Hook- This may already be in the game for all I know, but I think it’d be cool to have a powerful grappling hook implanted in your wrist that could help descend long distances, and even pull enemies closer to you.
Modular Limbs- It’d be really neat to have like, a locker full of interchangeable bionic limbs, so I could still have my regular arm, but occasionally switch it out for a Fusion Blaster arm, or legs with wheels on them.
Cosmetic Bionics- Basically being able to install the Beautiful mutation. I know there’s already that face-thing CBM, but this might have a more pronounced effect on gameplay.

Etc.- I wasn’t sure where to put this, or if it’s already a thing, but Bionic Psychosis would be pretty neat, and would remove some incentive for installing hundreds of Power Storage CBMs. Perhaps installing too many bionics, or with too much frequency, you could go into Bionic Psychosis, wherein you’d suffer severe morale problems, and even pronounced health issues, if you didn’t get your fix. This could work alongside the NPC bionics system, where the you’d be so desperate for new parts that you’d go around murdering innocents for their bionics. This could also work with the Total Conversion Bionics, but instead of basically becoming a robot with a brain, your species could change to Bionic Horror or something. Great power has a price; you are now nearly unrecognizable as a human, and you must continue to hunt to satisfy your dark craving.

Unrelated Suggestions-

NPC Thieving- I’d love it if I actually had to worry about some of the more ballsy NPCs breaking into my base at night, stealing my loot and maybe even trying to slit my throat while I slept. A bit grim, sure, but it’d be truly terrifying to wake up with severe damage to your head, some of your stuff missing, and a little NPC douchebag running away. It’d be a huge problem at lower levels, making complex traps more worthwhile, and really amusing at higher levels, where you could just blow their head off and take their loot instead.

NPC Sleeping- It’d be cool to find sleeping NPCs that you could steal from, or even assassinate. Ya know, if you’re a terrible person. This could also help vampire characters do their thing.

If you made it this far, holy hell, congratulations.
I’d love to hear your input on any aspect of this, as many of these are suited to my own play style, and might not be for everyone.
On the other hand, maybe you’re way into something I suggested, and you want to help build on it.

Also, Kevin, if you’re reading this, I’ve always wanted to tell you what a rabid fan I am of your work; Cataclysm is literally the only game I play, and I’m constantly trying to recruit new players (wiiiith minimal success, sadly).
That probably sounds like me trying to gain favor with the dev, but this seemed like the easiest way to publicly declare my undying love for the glorious Kevin Granade.
All hail.

What about a MK 3 Cranial Flashlight?

Ahhh! That’d rule! Didn’t even think about that; the cranial flashlight becomes so useless once you’ve got full night vision, and I always find myself wishing that it worked more like weak headlights. I feel like it’d be really cool while exploring labs, casting dramatic shadows all over the place. Good call!

It could also blind NPCs and scare animals, Along with VERY slowly cooking food.

It’d be interesting to see a more advance bionics system as a whole, and instead of bionics either being passive or toggleable, having some with scaling intensities. Maybe you want to resist small amounts of heat at a low power cost, so you can have Thermal Dissipation on all the time, but would be able to turn it up to full-effect when in a situation that demanded it.

Additionally, and on the topic of heat, I’d personally like to have an integrated fire suppression system. It could use up a lot of power or consume some sort of special fuel, like liquid nitrogen or something along those lines.
Having liquid nitrogen cells in the game would also be awesome, as it would allow for freezing-based weapons and long-term cold storage.

edit:

Post-Bionic Followers- It would be suuuper goddamn cool to be able to install some craftable processor into a corpse and raise it as a follower, while also being able to install certain CBMs into it to make it more powerful. I have a billion random CBMs in storage, and I’d really like to be able to do something with them.

Integrated Jukebox- Effectively an MP3/CD player.

Camera Eye- Does whatever cameras do in game.

Subdermal PDA- Not what I’d call it, but I can’t think of a better name right now. Basically a PDA that projects its screen onto your arm from the inside. Again, not a great way to describe it, but I think it could be majorly cool with the proper implementation.

micro edit:

Telescoping Vision- Basically just another CBM to reduce inventory clutter, works like binoculars.

Other ways to screw over bionic-users:

[ul][li]Remote overrides. Police units might have a radio signal they can transmit that causes civilian bionic weapons and armor to shut down. Would need military bionics or override codes (found in the consoles in police stations).[/li]
[li]Rejection of implants. Especially likely after being mutated.[/li][/ul]

Suggestions for new bionics:

[ul][li]Bone-Phone: A cell phone, built into your skull. Like all other cell phones in Cataclysm, only useful as an alarm clock.[/li]
[li]Radio receivers - regular or satellite. Functionally akin to chimpdroid’s jukebox.[/li]
[li]Two-way radio. Replaces regular two-way radio.[/li][/ul]

As a major bionic user who feels like he’s missing out on a lot of the game’s challenge, I am way into the idea of remote overrides. Great ideas all around, Packbat!

isn’t there like a main thread for this make by ka101/someone eles? also we need robo sakes (100% didn’t steal that from someone eles)

I kinda like the suggestions so far. I think some enemies could use EMP type attacks that.

Maybe CBM: Plantar Rollers, or a CBM that replicates the movement effects of wearing roller skates and could be powered to go even faster over paved surfaces. Not sure it’d work with footwear, though, maybe it works like a mutation that replaces the need to wear shoes and provides some armor bonus?

Maybe impractical, but CBM: Self-Destruct Failsafe. Detonates an internal mininuke or dynamite on the character’s death. Intended for military purposes to prevent capture or enemy salvage of other installed CBMs, equipment.

Was thinking of bionics that work with vehicles. Maybe one that precludes the need for a seat or vehicle controls. Or can charge vehicle batteries from the survivor’s bionic power supply.

the BUTT CBMs.

on a serious note, make the fusion blaster arm not fucking useless.

[quote=“Burnt Earth, post:9, topic:8824”]…Maybe CBM: Plantar Rollers, or a CBM that replicates the movement effects of wearing roller skates…

…CBM: Self-Destruct Failsafe. Detonates an internal mininuke…[/quote]

I’m way into the idea of a mininuke selfdestruct failsafe. It’d be a fun feature, since I always want to totally murder the stuff that kills me, and it’d prevent future characters from looting the corpse of really powerful characters, you know, if that’s your thing.

Some sort of power-armor rollerskate thing would be cool. Like, being able to activate mini-tank treads in your power armor boots or something like that. Could be activated via bionic as an unused feature of the power armor that requires the bionic to go online. Bionics like that are something I want to see more of.
Maybe a fusion blaster built into a suit of power armor (ala Samus Aran), instead of having to lop your arm off. Built in floodlights, hovering capabilities, buzzsaws, more powerful versions of current bionics, etc…

To install these suit-specific CBMs, you’d first have to activate and use them on a suit of power armor to apply the change to the suit, which could work like gun modification. Some CBMs that get enhanced by the suit, such as Chain Lightning and Night Vision, could work on existing suit firmware, so players with these installed already wouldn’t need to find the bionic again.

dream item: reinforced light power armor++++ (active)

edit:

Drill attachments to power armor would be awesome too, in addition to power armor diving helmets.
Gettin’ that Big Daddy vibe.

C4 implant is understandable; mininuke would be a crafted “upgrade” IMO.

[quote=“Perigrin, post:10, topic:8824”]the BUTT CBMs.

on a serious note, make the fusion blaster arm not fucking useless.[/quote]

A Backwards Utilized Tracking Torpedo? Those are huge–the warhead’s probably as big as you are–so no way that’s going into your body. :wink:

[quote=“KA101, post:12, topic:8824”]C4 implant is understandable; mininuke would be a crafted “upgrade” IMO.

[quote=“Perigrin, post:10, topic:8824”]the BUTT CBMs.

on a serious note, make the fusion blaster arm not fucking useless.[/quote]

A Backwards Utilized Tracking Torpedo? Those are huge–the warhead’s probably as big as you are–so no way that’s going into your body. ;-)[/quote]

Perhaps difficult for a simple baseline human. Anythings’ possible for the determined transhuman!

[quote=“chimpdroid, post:11, topic:8824”]I’m way into the idea of a mininuke selfdestruct failsafe. It’d be a fun feature, since I always want to totally murder the stuff that kills me, and it’d prevent future characters from looting the corpse of really powerful characters, you know, if that’s your thing.

Some sort of power-armor rollerskate thing would be cool. Like, being able to activate mini-tank treads in your power armor boots or something like that. Could be activated via bionic as an unused feature of the power armor that requires the bionic to go online. Bionics like that are something I want to see more of.

To install these suit-specific CBMs, you’d first have to activate and use them on a suit of power armor to apply the change to the suit, which could work like gun modification.

Drill attachments to power armor would be awesome too, in addition to power armor diving helmets.
Gettin’ that Big Daddy vibe.[/quote]

I never play with powered armor because I think it’s cheesy, but there might as well be power-armor specific CBMs, since bionics would almost certainly be prevalent with power-armor users if the military is doing the whole super-soldier intention. Power-armor is also kinda special since you are basically wearing a vehicle. Bionics that would work with a person wearing street clothes would not work so great if you’re wearing a tank. Solar Panel CBM, fore-head mounted flashlights, ect.

It might also be a thing to just have customization of power-armor. Mounted grenade launchers and infrared search-lights and such things.

Also occurred to me, IRL medical devices like hearing aids and pacemakers and synthetic organs should be installable bionics, too. Surgical procedures that remove character traits like near-sighted or bad knees, ect.

I really like the idea of fixing pre-existing conditions/mutations with bionics.
Additionally, there could be surgical or amputation kits to deal with some of the uglier mutations.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought about how much I want to cut off my characters’ stubby tails, wing stubs, mouth flaps, etc.

Being able to grind your horns down Hellboy-style would be neat, allowing for a weaker headbutt attack, and regaining the ability to wear helmets.

i think lorewise you are regrowing pretty much everything after some time due to the blob.
The regeneration given is the only logical explanation for rapid mutation anyways.
Its hard to regrow a sewered limp … just as hard as to grow an entirely new one which obviously the blob can do rapidly if stimulated.
So i doubt that cutting of new unwanted limbs would be a lasting solution.

[quote=“Valpo, post:15, topic:8824”]i think lorewise you are regrowing pretty much everything after some time due to the blob.
The regeneration given is the only logical explanation for rapid mutation anyways.
Its hard to regrow a sewered limp … just as hard as to grow an entirely new one which obviously the blob can do rapidly if stimulated.
So i doubt that cutting of new unwanted limbs would be a lasting solution.[/quote]
I think that was Hellboy’s situation, actually.

Now that you mention it i think i recall seeing him grind those horns from time to time.

It might actually be kinda cool, scrounging abandoned hospitals and labs for these kits, your futile attempt at seeming more human.
Like Sisyphus, but with gnarly tails and ghetto-ass surgery, instead of boulders n shit.

I’m pretty sure horns grow whether they’re supernatural or not.