Bigger batches than 50?

Is there a way to craft more than 50x of something? To take further advantage of the bulk crafting speedups, of course.

I’m not sure what you’re asking for exactely…

Do you want to know if there’s currently a way in the experimental version of the game to craft more than 50 of something at once (previous releases had 20 as a max)?
In that case: Not that I’m aware of.

Or do you ask if it’s technically possible to go higher than 50 as a max?
Probably… I don’t see why not, unless something starts to glitch at that point.

Or do you want to know if you can craft more than 50 “charges” at a time of anything (although this is not directly affected by bulk crafting on its own)?
1 splintered wood will result in 100 pieces of wooden beads, so it’s possible to do that, it exists.

Apart from large batches tending to take large amounts of time (causing your character to get very hungry, thirsty, and sleepy), the time saving of using 50 batch sizes rather than 20 batch sizes for e.g. 1000 seeds should be rather small, and increasing the sizes further doesn’t result in much of a gain. You save a little on key presses, though.

Luckily one can interrupt the process at almost any point, so this isn’t as large of a concern as it once was.

True, but for things that take a very long time, this can actually make some difference.

If the bug that required you to pick up your extremely heavy crafting in progress item has been fixed and you can continue with it still on the work bench, yes, manual interruption is a useful option.

Very large batches of things that take a very long time to make? That only makes sense if you don’t have any use for any of those items before all of them are made, such as e.g. items that are going to be input for some large project stage (where you can’t initiate the stage until you’ve got all the input items).

And yet such things exist, for example for a large construction project…

Do you want to know if there’s currently a way in the experimental version of the game to craft more than 50 of something at once (previous releases had 20 as a max)?
In that case: Not that I’m aware of.

This.

Apart from large batches tending to take large amounts of time (causing your character to get very hungry, thirsty, and sleepy), the time saving of using 50 batch sizes rather than 20 batch sizes for e.g. 1000 seeds should be rather small, and increasing the sizes further doesn’t result in much of a gain. You save a little on key presses, though.

For example: saltpeter has a 99% batch discount. Crafting one takes 4h, crafting 50 takes 6h. The time savings are enormous.

I don’t think more than 50 per batch is necessary for most craftables. I’d argue that for Foods, Ammo and Chemicals it would be something that could be revised in regards to that - especially clean water - but I am not too bothered personally.

In the case of clean water, you can already apply a purifier to clean a whole tank of water in seconds.

You can, yes, but early game you don’t get that luxury unless you are lucky enough to have all bathrooms spawn with them, for example.

I mean more in regards to allowing a 60L tank to be fully “boiled” over time. Say you give that instruction for the water to boil, while you read a book or something, instead of having to watch the water boil for like 3h+.

Erm, I’m not talking about water purification tablets, but the craftable water purifier.

IRL purification is not always done by boiling, it can also be done with short exposure to intense UV light and that kills microorganisms faster than waiting for the water to reach boiling point.

Okay, but as I mentioned, “early game”. You don’t get the luxury of fast purifying unless you are really, really lucky. Hence why I think clean water being an exception to the “Batch 50” rule would be good, or at least a new way to “clean water” without having to sit near a fire for hours staring at it. I mean, we have the autoclave being essentially “passive”, so having a way to boil water in the same fashion would be quite welcomed.

Early game you get “lucky”, since every single water boiler in a house typically contains a few dozen liters of clean water.

The autoclave is a late game item that I’d argue is later than a water purifier. Both of them require electricity from a vehicle.

I think it’s appropriate that you have early game methods for water purification in the early game, with easier and more convenient methods available only in the late game (or if you get lucky).

However, I’d welcome passive crafting (where appropriate) if someone would implement it, reducing water boiling to setting it up and automatically add fuel to the fire while the PC reads a book or performs active crafting.

There are already items like “filled charcoal kiln” and furniture (smoking rack, mills) that effectively do passive crafting. I guess there’s no other way right now to implement it. Perhaps there would have to be an option in the crafting guide and you would have to have an appropriate tool (kitchen robot?) to do passive cooking for recipes marked as supporting that.

Yes, vehicle parts and furniture can perform passive actions, but the food dehydrator item requires you to stare at it while it works.
I don’t think tools can support passive activities at the moment, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it would be possible to make a kitchen “robot” vehicle part that could use recipes (I guess it would have to have extensible 6 tile long arms to be able to grab the ingredients).

They kind of do, like the towel that dries or curing pelt… Not sure if it would be feasable to use that as a boiling solution, though.

Well, isn’t that fudged by having the item being changed into another item, like a flashlight that turns into a lit flashlight object?

However, it doesn’t sound completely impossible to have an object changing water boiler (I haven’t looked at the code, though). That probably wouldn’t work for anything more complex that two states, though.