Biceps - The Solar Alternative!

Just a thought on non-passive electrical generation.

Crank Operated Generator - Mounts externally to vehicles like spikes, blades and the really big gas tanks. The player can 'e’xamine them like the various crafting rigs. When used the became a noisy and exhausting way of generating power, which could be great for LMOE shelters and such.

Ideally this would allow for a full set of crafting stations, mini-fridges and floodlights to be set up underground via a central generator and network of connecting frames.

ever watched breaking bad, the one where they leave the keys in the van? those things take forever to make some descent power, and these guys were only trying to jump start the car, but yeah, i will say that it, if it makes you hungrier and thirstier and less focused and makes your skills rust a little quicker and maybe even gives you pain after a while, then yeah. Maybe it would be plausible.

lol, but srly, great idea, for like electric engines and the sort, maybe a smaller portable one to recharge batteries or something, if there isn’t one already…

Walter White was 50 years old with Stage IIIA lung cancer so it would be generous to say he had 6 strength.

Pinkman was probably around a soft 8.

Noise and fatigue are more than enough. This is a system to charge a battery, not put out more energy than the systems consume. All it would take is some routine cranking every so often to keep your lights going.

Though attaching a crank-a-watt to foot pedals ((Like an alternator)) wouldn’t be nearly as tiring as running one by hand.

Yeah, IMO if you are going to make something like this make a grind-stone style charger.

This would be fairly possible to do, but the charge rates wouldn’t be anything spectacular, and would probably average around 1 battery charge to every 15-20 turns spent pedaling, with a small exhaustion penalty.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:5, topic:5055”]This would be fairly possible to do, but the charge rates wouldn’t be anything spectacular, and would probably average around 1 battery charge to every 15-20 turns spent pedaling, with a small exhaustion penalty.[/quote]still, it would give us something to do while waiting for out morale to go back up after reading too many tech manuals.

[quote=“turtleagldragon, post:2, topic:5055”]ever watched breaking bad, the one where they leave the keys in the van? those things take forever to make some descent power, and these guys were only trying to jump start the car, but yeah, i will say that it, if it makes you hungrier and thirstier and less focused and makes your skills rust a little quicker and maybe even gives you pain after a while, then yeah. Maybe it would be plausible.

lol, but srly, great idea, for like electric engines and the sort, maybe a smaller portable one to recharge batteries or something, if there isn’t one already…[/quote]

Keep in mind Logrin’s famous character is the what was it, 50 strength? Behemoth… Still it’d be funny to see.

That’s a great idea.

It’s the future. Surely there are more eficient motor to electric transformation processes.

“It’s the Future” Yeah, about 15 years. Name a proposed technological improvement from 15 years ago that came true as of this date.

Even if there are crazy advanced efficient dynamos, you aren’t installing one in a crank or pedal generator, that will be using the same wound-core, fixed magnets, and brushed bearings construction as were in use 50 years ago.
Generator effciency is concentrated in large power plants where a fraction of a percent makes a noticeable difference because they’re operating in the megawatt range.

I digress: In general no problem with a manual crank generator item/furniture to charge stuff.

Superconductors could be used in the dynamos. Since no electrical resistance then more power? I dunno, seems like a 18% efficiency increase at the max. And only found in labs.

Still, needs added.

yea that’s exactly my point, it might be worthwhile to build a huge power plant dynamo to operate at superconducting temperatures, because the efficiency gains would outweigh the kW or so of power needed to keep it cooled, but for a portable generator, no such thing would be remotely reasonable, so you’re stuck with conventional generators unless it’s super-future-tech with above-room-temperature superconducting coils.
Even then, the real problem with a human powered generator isn’t the efficiency, it’s the fact that humans just can’t put out that much power.

Surprisingly enough the majority of the limiting factor in human powered generators isn’t the generator itself, but is rather the person operating it. You can get remarkably good efficiencies from a properly built, stationary, human-powered generator (as compared to the maximum efficiencies). The problem more comes from the fact that as a human you aren’t properly set up to transform food energy into electrical energy, you are designed to transform it into movement. Regardless of how much “super-sciency stuff” (SSS? I think that’s going to be my new acronym for that :P) you throw at it, human powered generators just don’t exactly have a lot of room for improvement available to them.

Yep, I see a lot of posts on bike forums that are along the lines of “how do I make my bike faster/lighter” and there are always a few posts saying “improve the motor/lose weight)”. It seems to hold up IRL, I ride an ancient steel turd from the 80s and blaze past dudes wearing spandex suits on carbon fiber bikes.

Yep lol.
Those assholes are just faggots. I love riding circles around them in my steel turd.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:16, topic:5055”]Yep lol.
Those assholes are just faggots. I love riding circles around them in my steel turd.[/quote]sigged.

Siggy siggy dwarf!