Bibles, Books of Mormons, Torahs, Menorrahs, Branch Davidian's book of Christ

I think most of Non Us bought computers dont actually include it from the start. And very few people actually bother with downloading fonts (I for one dont).

I also see lotsa boxes

Well, this was a custom built pc, but it is US, shrug.

Yeah I guess the Necronomicon is too high-powered to be the official text of the cult of Cthulhu. Anyone have any ideas for a more common book they could use?

This was a big part of the argument against it.

I have to say though, if we use our brains and actually think about this angle for a moment:

Folks who burn them don’t have any right to complain. What, were they checking to see if it’s possible just so that they can complain that it is? Cannibalism is also possible in-game, but that doesn’t mean you have to engage in it, either.

And if they get butthurt over somebody else (whom they’ve never even met, nor ever will) burning a fictional copy of a holy text in their own private copy of a video game, they have no leg to stand on. That’d be like starting a flame-war with somebody on here because their character they play as at home is a cannibal.[/quote]

Lols @ you, Rivet for attempting to use “logic” in regards to someone getting butthurt over something having to do with their religious beliefs. You know people that get bent out of shape about that kind of stuff (in a video game especially) don’t care about logic like this.

I’ll be the odd man out in this discussion and say … I’m not a big fan of adding real-world religious books to Cata because, yeah, people will flip their shit sooner or later and it becomes a headache. Its like … adding a “please throw a freakin’ fit” button in flashing neon lights, right in the faces of people that will and do throw freakin’ fits.

Personally, I’d more like seeing alternate-world mock-ups of religious books … punny named books based on actual ones, etc. Its more interesting and less likely to make someone pop a vein to boot.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:41, topic:5015”]I think most of Non Us bought computers dont actually include it from the start. And very few people actually bother with downloading fonts (I for one dont).

I also see lotsa boxes[/quote]

Well, I’m confused now. It’s not like it’s a font…

Oh well.

[quote=“DG123, post:45, topic:5015”]Well, I’m confused now. It’s not like it’s a font…

Oh well.[/quote]
I see it just fine.

Nice flavor addition to the game! But yeah, we need a few occult texts. I want to go down the mines and pulp everything down there with their own unholy words.

Yeah, that was the original argument against them.

In case you couldn’t tell, we’re not overly worried about it.

Be sure to add Amish items to burn so any Amish playing this game can complain.

:smiley: I laughed quite a bit.

:smiley: I laughed quite a bit.[/quote]
Yep.
Plus people who get butthurt over religion shouldn’t be on the Internet period.

hey guys thanks for adding religious books. i’m having a blast finding all the different ways to burn the koran.

This gives me an idea. When I make the weaponized religious books, maybe the combat Koran should have explosives built into it so you can attack enemies by blowing yourself up.

Or is that just too offensive?

No.

This gives me an idea. When I make the weaponized religious books, maybe the combat Koran should have explosives built into it so you can attack enemies by blowing yourself up.

Or is that just too offensive?[/quote]

Far too offensive.

We’re not trying to offend anyone, those books are there because they’re some of the most commonly printed books (well most of them are) in the real world.

This isn’t why they’re in there. By the same token, nobody is saying you can’t use them for kindling.

But we’re also not going into intentionally offensive territory with regards to this topic in the game, so no exploding Qurans or other gimmick holy books.

Unless it’s a fictional (un)holy book, like a copy of the Necronomicon that makes you turn into a fish when you read it or something. That would be fun.

Well offensive is one thing, but I’m sure lots of people will complain about weapons like that. I mean, they already complained about combat chainsaw and flaming sword, a weaponized religious book surely will trigger the Hate[sup]tm[/sup]

I don’t really care if it’s offensive, but it’s just wrong. I think damaging a Quran is if not outright forbidden, then at least heavily discouraged, so it makes no sense for a devout muslim to damage one.

It’s an entirely different sort of trigger and an entirely different sort of hate when you’re talking smack about somebody’s religion versus somebody being butthurt over fictional swords in a videogame.

Putting holy books in the game isn’t an attack on anyone’s religion, just an acknowledgement that they exist. I couldn’t put a holy book in there to represent everybody that’s out there, so I put the most common ones and a few that are for just for fun. If anybody’s feeling left out, I’m sorry; get more members so I that see you on the survey pie-chart and we’ll talk.

Besides that, stuff like weaponized holy books is in really poor taste. It’s cruel, immature, and it’s not even funny.

Yeah, not a great idea there.

I will make a “mad inquisitor/templar” char that wears a pot helmet, preacher’s garment and he always carries his Zweihänder and Bible.
He will think that the Armageddon has come and that he needs to proof his worth to god by slaughtering hundreds of zombies…

OnTopic:
Despite having a reasonable “bash” value, those books shouldn’t be weapons, they should just add to the realism like the fork you found in a kitchen or a car wrekage on a lonely road.

How about of implementing “religious " trait? 0 points worth, with the similar to"martial arts” trait structure, so you choose religious trait and then you decide what faith do you belong to. In game benefits - slight boost to morale while wearing/carrying items/books considered holy by your chosen religion.