Since refugee centers and NPCs’ beheviours are going to be much better, I think that it may be interesting to add a specific system of interaction with various NPCs. I love Gothic and Gothic 2. There is a great system that allows players to work for a bowman, a blacksmith etc. Players can hunt and sell hides and furs, forge swords etc in order to gain gold. It is a very immersive and beneficial system.
If it comes to Cataclysm, such system would be based on being an apprentice to a few ‘masters’:
- Merchant - this master would require scaventing in order to find various items like tools, firearms, ammo, clothes, meele weapons.
- Cook - this person needs various drinks, food, cooking tools / utensils etc.
- Blacksmith - players would provide him with charcoal, materials that are used in forging (steel, copper etc), and many tools needed for forging.
- Doctor - in this case, players should focus on drugs, CBMs, mutagens, and various items that are connected with health.
- Mechanic - vehicle parts, fuels, tools for repairing vehicles, parking new vehicles outside a refugee center, etc
- Carpenter - new furniture, wood, nails, tools for constructing, etc.
- Tailor - clothes, thread, sinews, and other items needed for tailoring
And so on and so forth…
In exchange for such service, a given merchant would provide players with cards that act as a refugee centers’ currency. Cards would be used in order to gain a specific profit from a specific master. This system would give players a chance to enjoy playing without a constant focus on hunting, scavenging, tailroing, forging, constructing, cooking, repairing vehicles etc. In other words, a given player would focus only on a specific task. For example:
A player which does not like hunting and cooking may focus on working for a merchant. He may fight with monsters, explore various towns / cities, raid labs in order to gain items that he will sell at a refugee center to a merchant. Merchant will give him cards that may be used to buy drinks, food and cooking tools / utensils from the cook.
What is more, a given ‘master’ would provide us with items that are necessary for completing a given ‘mission’. If the player works for the cook, he may request cards from cook that will be exchanged for weapons or ammo that the merchant has.
Such system may be an excellent way to support beginners that learn how to play Cataclysm. Moreover, this would be a beneficial feature for veterans of Cataclysm that want to avoid those elements of gameplay (forging, tailoring etc) that they do not like and that are necessary to pass mid-game etc.
I would love to focus on working for a cook. To be a hunter that does not worry about ammo, clothes, drugs, guns, melee weapons, safe place to sleep, and various tools. I would love to have a possibility to being an apprentice and gain an enormous profit from it