Balancing Mobile vs Static bases

Right now, mobile fortresses are the far superior end game plan, electricity, plating, everything you ever need mounted and powered on a giant moving piece of metal. On top of that, 2-3 zombears just means you have to drive a little at night. Whereas holdout locations such as evac shelters, LMOE shelters and such, became corpse strewn wastelands, where high powered monster attacks threaten everything you know and love on a regular basis. While I think some of that will be mitigated once the power system finally gets in, I think that perhaps there are some things that could be done to help put it on par in terms of viability as a mobile fortresses. One such thing is the ability to construct metal doors and walls, which would make not-LMOE bases slightly more viable once you have the skill and materials. The other thing is a noise maker. One that makes a medium amount of noise after set intervals, these could be used to lure some of the more dangerous enemies into traps and such, which as of right now basically require luck or using yourself as bait to get anything.

Some kind of tiny electric motor powered air siren?
I dunno, I think windows need a buff. Can’t imagine any regular sized bear being able to climb through one, nor a wolf being tall enough to even reach a window.

As long as you’re sleeping far enough away from the windows you shouldn’t have any problems with the local fauna-- or flora for that matter. Ants and blobs not withstanding.

Remember to board up all ya windows and stick furniture behind them, traps and ditches to keep anything away from the windows themselves and you should be safe enough. I’ve been surprised by zombears exactly once, which was the first game they were introduced.

Unfortunately I too am moving away from static locations as bases of operations now after tasting the joys and delights of a mobile meth lab modified with minifridge.

I still like a home base to come back to, then set up other bases in desirable locations in other cities then drive there with my car.

Feels good man

“On top of that, 2-3 zombears just means you have to drive a little at night.”

2 to 3 zombears means you’ve had four that spawned in texas home in on you terminator style, smash your windows, welding rig, and kitchen unit, then try to kill you.

I don’t see how being able to make metal walls will help that though, but metal doors would be nice. Especially with how NPCs, bears, and everything else have two modes: Terminator or Tunnel.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:5, topic:5094”]“On top of that, 2-3 zombears just means you have to drive a little at night.”

2 to 3 zombears means you’ve had four that spawned in texas home in on you terminator style, smash your windows, welding rig, and kitchen unit, then try to kill you.

I don’t see how being able to make metal walls will help that though, but metal doors would be nice. Especially with how NPCs, bears, and everything else have two modes: Terminator or Tunnel.[/quote]
That’s true, our bears are pretty crazy. Metal walls less so than doors, it just sounds cooler to have base made of metal rather than plaster and wood.

[quote=“BeigeSand, post:6, topic:5094”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:5, topic:5094”]“On top of that, 2-3 zombears just means you have to drive a little at night.”

I don’t see how being able to make metal walls will help that though, but metal doors would be nice. Especially with how NPCs, bears, and everything else have two modes: Terminator or Tunnel.[/quote]
That’s true, our bears are pretty crazy. Metal walls less so than doors, it just sounds cooler to have base made of metal rather than plaster and wood.[/quote]

You can use the vehicle system to build a base :stuck_out_tongue:

Holy Shit.
I COULD!
Why am I the dumb?

the answer to your static base problems is one word: tourettes

BALLSACK! FUCK! FUCK! FAGGOT! PENIS!!! SHIT!

oops! i mean turrets. i generally build a palisade around my base, with a palisade gate with a rope & pulley system to let my vehicle through.

here’s an example, forgive me, my ASCII drawing skills may be somewhat lacking:

= palisade wall

g = palisade gate
r = rape & pulley system
w = wall/log wall
t = turret

r

#####gggggggggg#####
#t wr w t#

w w

#w w#

#tw LMOE wt#

shelter

#w w#

w w w

#t w t w t#
#################

size customizable to suit the needs of your individual base.

please note that LMOE shelters are the easiest to do as they require the least amount of rope to build a palisade around, because apparently you can’t possibly use other things like duct tape, steel chains, wire, copper wire, barbed wire, etc. to hold logs together.

you want the walls between the turrets to block line of sight so they won’t shoot each other and/or your vehicle. the walls right next to each turret serve a dual purpose. to block LoS, as well as to allow you to build a roof on the turret’s tile to protect from acid rain.

Wat?

Fixed.

Wat?[/quote]i believe you fucking heard me.

Fixed.[/quote]please tell me this is already implemented.

Not quite yet, but it will be as soon as it’s merged.

1. Rivet, you’re awesome.
  2. Where on earth did you get that many turrets?
  3. Would it really be that hard to take the existing vehicle code and throw together a power system for bases based around the base idea of base power supply?
  4. Rivet, you’re awesome.

military bunkers will usually have between 2 and 5, but if you can’t find any you can make them if you have the recipe.

I hope farming plants and breeding animals is better implemented, that could be the big balancing factor. Difficult to run a farm out of the back of a truck after all. Then static bases could be for those who prefer a more sedentary lifestyle, while mobile bases are for those who enjoy exploring and gathering actively.

[spoiler][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:9, topic:5094”]the answer to your static base problems is one word: tourettes

oops! i mean turrets. i generally build a palisade around my base, with a palisade gate with a rope & pulley system to let my vehicle through.

= palisade wall

g = palisade gate
r = rape & pulley system
w = wall/log wall
t = turret

r

#####gggggggggg#####
#t wr w t#

w w

#w w#

#tw LMOE wt#

shelter

#w w#

w w w

#t w t w t#
#################

please note that LMOE shelters are the easiest to do as they require the least amount of rope to build a palisade around, because apparently you can’t possibly use other things like duct tape, steel chains, wire, copper wire, barbed wire, etc. to hold logs together.

you want the walls between the turrets to block line of sight so they won’t shoot each other and/or your vehicle. the walls right next to each turret serve a dual purpose. to block LoS, as well as to allow you to build a roof on the turret’s tile to protect from acid rain. [/quote][/spoiler]

My face just exploded…THIS IS A THING!?

oh my gawd…my entire Cataclysm career has been a lie…I know nothing!

[quote=“Nopkar, post:18, topic:5094”][spoiler][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:9, topic:5094”]the answer to your static base problems is one word: tourettes

= palisade wall

g = palisade gate
r = rape & pulley system
w = wall/log wall
t = turret

r

#####gggggggggg#####
#t wr w t#

w w

#w w#

#tw LMOE wt#

shelter

#w w#

w w w

#t w t w t#
#################

you want the walls between the turrets to block line of sight so they won’t shoot each other and/or your vehicle. the walls right next to each turret serve a dual purpose. to block LoS, as well as to allow you to build a roof on the turret’s tile to protect from acid rain. [/quote][/spoiler]

My face just exploded…THIS IS A THING!?

oh my gawd…my entire Cataclysm career has been a lie…I know nothing!

[/quote]how could you NOT know this was a thing?

@ the guy who doesn’t know how to make alot of turrets

You just need a bunch of computer scrap and some pipe SMGs :wink:

Don’t forget the computer skill or else they will shoot you! :*(