Anyway to stop this fungal bloom

[quote=“Valpo, post:11, topic:7840”][quote=“trusty_patches, post:10, topic:7840”]In older versions I’d just recommend you to nuke that fucker, then get high on crack, coke and Adderall, smash your way to the spire and hit it like Haggar. RESPECT THE PIPE

In new version? Just set it on fire and chill out.[/quote]

Allways got thrown back by the regrowing fungus while meeleing the spire… was annoying as hell back then… but totaly had random animals murder the spire cause it was in between me (theire target) and them.[/quote]

Get a weapon with reach, stand at one of the corners, and target the tower. You’ll damage the wall, because it’s in the way, and when it’s dead, you’ll start hurting the tower… until the wall grows back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also, for those who are new to eliminating fungal stuff. Fungal terrain and most fungals are weak to fire. The central fungal creatures aren’t. The giant fungal bloom even has an ability where it goes nuts with spreading fungal haze thick enough to engulf fire around it.

High power explosives might be decent. Toss them on the walls and they should still be able to hit the center.

Also, awl pikes. For a challenge, sent a survivor naked to kill a fungal tower. Stood one tile away from the fungal hedgerows around it, reach attack the hedgerow until it died, then thanks to the three-tile reach attack stood in the same position to skewer the tower.

Didn’t get a fungal infection, I recall. That said, only spent a couple of hours before making sure and taking some anti-fungal meds and royal jelly.

The giant bloom is a pushover in combat. Walk up and kill it, then start the fire to take care of the rest. I usually avoid fungal areas until winter, so as to avoid rain putting out the fire, but I’ll sometimes do it summer. Autumn is too rainy, and spring is WAY WAY WAY too rainy.

Same.

You could use a chemical sprayer and you won’t have to worry about rain, but honestly the chemical spray is rather underpowered since the spread of the chemicals isn’t as large as fire going through fungal terrain.

And yeah, often the fungal flowers/giant blossoms is the easiest to deal with for me. In general, I don’t see as much fungaloids in the area, so you really only have to set one fungal tile on fire and let the flame spread to the rest. Unlike a fungal bloom with fungaloids spawning several map tiles away from the center, making it irritating to purge the area.

Fungal flowers can be annoying, especially without the right equipment.

Fungal tower can be annoying, especially if you don’t have either pretty good armor or a way to deal with fungal infection.

Fungal bloom IS BLOODY FREAKING ANNOYING AT EVERY STAGE OF THE GAME NO MATTER WHAT EQUIPMENT OR SKILLS YOU HAVE.

Bloody fungal bloom. Grr.

The fungal spire itself isn’t hard… but those freaking fungaloids and their freaking spore clouds, fungal terrain upon death, and showing up far away from the bloom is the main reason why I opt to go no fungal monsters.

That said, I’m pondering if the fusion blaster rifle can be effective. Those shots create fire like a flamethrower, and it’s probably easier to carry around than a flamethrower and a jerrycan of fuel. It’ll take care of the fungaloids spawning fungal terrain on death, since the tiles around the fungaloid will be lit up.

Awl pikes I feel are excellent on fungal towers. No risk of getting hit by the tendrils with the reach attack and all that.

Don’t stop it, join it. Let the fungus come inside you…it may hurt at first but soon you’ll find that you like it. :stuck_out_tongue: (and then enjoy the lag)
Otherwise what everyone else said, environmental protection or parasite immunity mutation plus general badass skills and lots of fire.

I used to use the fusion blast rifle to great effect on them, exactly as you are pointing out… then, at some point, it got broken - it only exploded at max range, even with walls or other targets in the way. That’s almost certainly been fixed since then, but I just haven’t messed with it.

are the fungal flowers rare? i’ve honestly only seen them once when i went down the marloss path, thankfully.