Android Version

Things are coming along nicely, if anyone is curious I’m working on the Android branch for later integration into mainline here:

https://github.com/a1studmuffin/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/android-build-standup

Once I’ve done a bit more code cleanup and written up compiling documentation I’ll submit a work-in-progress PR to mainline for feedback from the core devs. After the PR has been merged into mainline, we can set up a continuous integration Android build on Jenkins alongside the other platforms.

In the interim, if anyone is desperate for a new build, here you go, currently it’s built on top of commit af2e593 (~6 days ago) but I’ll keep rebasing my changes on top of latest as I go… it’s currently working with tiles, lua, sound, localization:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10TolS0sPxQWOuEfAlEpl6E7FmjTOBgsQ/view?usp=sharing (80MB APK)

Known issues and comments:

• This build pretty much picks up where @Wulfe813 left things at with the old 0.4.9 build, aside from some under-the-hood changes that won’t affect gameplay.
  • Software renderer (the default) is a little fussy when switching to/from the app, sometimes it’ll give you a black screen after unlocking the screen or returning focus to the app. In this case just switch to/from the app again and it should resolve, otherwise you can try turning off the software renderer in the options to dodge the issue permanently.
  • A small number of devices (probably on Android 6.0) will still see garbled text when using hardware acceleration (software renderer off). This is an Android graphics driver bug I have no control over (which is why software renderer is the default), and there’s nothing we can do about it aside from maybe giving people an option on first install to choose what they want to use.
  • The APK package name is now “com.cleverraven.cataclysmdda”, so it will install alongside the old “com.MichaelDavies.CataclysmDDA” version if you’re still playing that. Try not to get confused, as uninstalling the wrong app will delete your save games! :slight_smile: You should be able to copy data from one to the other without many problems, the new one installs files to /sdcard/Android/data/com.cleverraven.cataclysmdda/files/
  • Physical keyboards seem to work fine, but physical mice seem to have an incorrect hotspot offset when mouse looking around, should be an easy fix though when I get time to look at it.

If anyone has any feedback or experiences weirdness/crashes, please let me know here or at a1studmuffin@gmail.com.

8 Likes