An idea about holsters and other things that hold weapons

Lets say you’re fighting a zom zom with your… baseball bat.
You kill it, but there’s one coming around a corner.
You [a]ctivate your holster and pull out your gun, dropping your baseball bat in the process (meaning you auto equip it and drop your baseball bat) and shoot the thing.
If the thing you were holding before you activated the hostler was two handed, you drop it.
If the thing before you activated the holster was one handed, it would go back into your inventory. This could be applicable to sheathes, if it gets added.

I like this idea, it has both foundings in practical and mechanics operations of the game.

I love this idea.

I’d much rather have a pistol in my holster rather then my jacket or backpack. I love this! <3

As it stands this functionality already there with knives in boots, but I like the sound of it.

How is this different from just wielding the gun? It has the same effect as far as I can tell, and kind of breaks inventory handling.

Someone submitted code for the boot knife thing, but I’d really rather not accumulate a bunch of special case code for making things act like containers, we’re slowly working toward cleaning up the inventory code so we can make stuff like this work the right way.

…Did not know that, thought wielding something took (extra) time XD

Wielding something does take time.

The reason for this is so that your inv doesn’t get cluttered too much and anything in the item holder (lets say quiver or a holster) doesn’t take up room/volume, but will add on weight.

I don’t know, having things setup as a “quick action” isn’t a horrible idea. Digging a pistol out a backpack is of course much slower then drawing a pistol out of a holster. I know, having two codes for inventory isn’t not something you want, but have you ever seen someone try to walk around with a pistol that wasn’t secure? I have… :smiley: It’s quite amusing if they try to just stick it in their pocket and their pockets aren’t deep enough or are too flimsy.
Rifles with a sling should get something like this.

[quote=“Miloch, post:9, topic:3545”]I don’t know, having things setup as a “quick action” isn’t a horrible idea. Digging a pistol out a backpack is of course much slower then drawing a pistol out of a holster. I know, having two codes for inventory isn’t not something you want, but have you ever seen someone try to walk around with a pistol that wasn’t secure? I have… :smiley: It’s quite amusing if they try to just stick it in their pocket and their pockets aren’t deep enough or are too flimsy.
Rifles with a sling should get something like this.[/quote]

Correct me on this if I’m wrong but it’s my understanding that somewhere down the line objects will actually go inside clothing you’re wearing, not a mythical pocket that gets bigger when you put on a backpack. In theory, some clothes would slow down weapon switch (Duffle Bag, Backpack) while others would speed it up (Hollisters)