Align up stairs and downstairs

What happened to this setting? I used to always use it and just realized after trying to dodge a Dissoluted devourer no matter where I go up or down I end up in the same spot which sucks.

Removing the obsolete code is all well and good but it seems the align feature was overlooked in its usefulness. For example, no matter where I go up or down on these 6 stairs I always end up in the yellow circle.

What is that terrain? Subway station?

From what I can make out, yes. And I remember having the same… well, “issue” recently with subways(-tations).

Yeah subway station. I just built some stairs and they aren’t aligned either.
built stairs down

What happens if you dig ladders in older game version where option was not removed yet?

From memory it was aligned but I can try it out then edit this post.

-edit- Just tried vesion 8608 the randomly placed stairs seems aligned, but when I create stairs they just link into the randomly placed and nothing is created on the surface (I only tried this in 2 houses btw).

That subway station thing is occurring because the top map rotates, but the bottom on does not, meaning the game can’t align the stairs and falls back to just dumping you on the first stairs it finds.
The top map should probably not rotate. (Well, maybe not the hand-built stairs).

I’ve also just tested it in build 0.D-10458* and digging down (with Align up and down stairs option active) in a subway did align it perfectly, as well as it worked with all the stairs that were already there.

*Full version info...
  • Game Version: 0.D-13428-g4476c72 [64-bit]
  • Graphics Version: Tiles
  • Game Language: English [en]
  • Mods loaded: [
    Dark Days Ahead [dda],
    Disable NPC Needs [no_npc_food]
    ]

Subway Stairs Alignment

Here’s a better view version 8608.
SURFACE