Aiming system enhancement

[quote=“Sheb, post:19, topic:2727”]Plus again, it’s not clear Toady would give away part of his code. DF is his child after all. You wouldn’t give your child’s limbs to a stranger, would you?

Anyway, DF is probably going into too much details (Do we really want a distinctions between eyelids, eyebrows and eyelashes?), but a rudimentary limb system seems cool and useful enough. As for the complexity of rewrinting every character’s definition… Well, the longer you wait, the more creatures we’ll have. :)[/quote]

The zombie bites your torso!
The bite wound feels very deep…
Your spinal cord is bruised!
Your spleen is bruised!
Your legs are paralyzed!

Frankly for DF, yes it works, but DF is more of a simulation, but I don’t think that’s the way to go with Cata. I think the current limb system is decent enough as it is.
I wouldn’t think we would need specific limbs values for monsters other than for targeted attacks, e.g shooting kneecaps/legs to slow tough monsters down, heads to kill them quicker etc.

This has been mentioned many times, but bears repeating:
You do NOT need a limb system in order to implement targeted attacks or attack special effects.

Yeah, limb systems won’t really be necessary. I see a system where you can walk into an enemy, much like DF, and just do a normal attack that works with any tags on the weapon. However, some weapons with tags, or from your characters skill level, you can press a key that opens a menu to specify what attack you will (try) to do that,and unlike DF, skips the limb menu. Right now, doing special attacks with unarmed attacks that are stunning attacks gives them a generic stun, so a tripwire trap gives the same effect as a sweep kick. I think.

So basically, walking into a hostile will generally have better results because it allows your character to make the best decision based on their viewpoint, and selecting one yourself will make an attack aimed to say, sweep their feet, but may not be suitable in all cases, taking into account close quarters or not enough strength to do that action. It’s the Devs call if they want to give them percentage chances, and if they want us to post a list of possible attacks (although the coder who does it can probably think of it them self). Actually, I think I’d actually enjoy that.

Anyone thought of doing it Fallout 1&2 style?
Basic chance to hit, Basic health bars. Still takes from main.
Eyes to blind and Loadsa™ damage, head for lotsa damage, arms to affect grip or accuracy, legs for speed, crotch for Knick-Knack-Knock™ out.

The way I see it:
Small amount to code in per creature.
Main health, torso, arms, legs, head, eyes. 6 numbers ain’t much. 7 to include the crotch. (that’s just for kicks)
Just have a “fine, damaged, crippled, {missing}” system if you want to go all out.

Small amount to code for the engine.*
I might be wrong. But it is just 3 things:
1: option on aiming (It’s a menu…not that hard surely.)
2: Equation on distance and limb (torso is easy to hit, eyes not so much)
3: Effects (Damaged-poor performace, crippled- Horrible performance, {is missing}-can’t function at all.

Mechanics not included in claim

• 3 requires crawling mechanic for legs missing. According to the stealth thread it is all ready planned. Probably be a good time for advanced aiming systems to be introduced. (A.A.S.?)

You could get away with a CTH % drop for damaged arms, head and eyes.

For explosives either have a dice roll for hits or just take it out of {Mainhealth} for ease.
You could be cool and put clauses on mines to force {damage legs only}. What do you’s use for bear traps?

Hell for the moment just have a limb health system, We have it for PC’s…
Include some basic % modifier for CTH, speed and detection range on enemies and your done.
Cool mechanics can come later.

Ah, good old fallout 2, I’ll never forget thy crippling criticals to the groin.

[quote=“TheRealTenman, post:24, topic:2727”]Anyone thought of doing it Fallout 1&2 style?
Basic chance to hit, Basic health bars. Still takes from main.[/quote]

Please read the thread.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=2866.msg38851#msg38851

I already said rigging monsters with seperate body parts is out. It’s not as simple as you think it is.

Here’s my basic take on it:
Adding a system is not as simple as it appears (not even considering factors like Kevin discussed in his post).

1. Not all monsters have the same amount or type of limbs. Spiders, for example, would need to have extra limbs while oozes don’t have as many. Some creatures don’t even have some limbs or might have special ones.
  2. Limbs != effects. Some creatures might use their mouth to attack instead of their arms. Not every creature depends on it’s legs to walk. Some might have legs, but still use other limbs to move (wings for example). Therefore limb effects need to be separated from limbs (which complicates storage because each monster needs to store a list of limbs and then link smaller lists of effects to each limb (which is not necessarily an easy task.
  3. What about hit chances? That’s another thing that needs to be differentiated on a per-monster-per-limb basis. Flaming eyes, for example, might have much higher chances of getting hit in their eye body part then zombies do.
  4. What about the (planned, hopefully upcoming sometime soon after .8) armor system? That’s another set of numbers that must be stored on a per-limb basis.
  5. What about martial arts? How would a sweep kick work against something that didn’t have legs? Something that floats?
  6. The hit function would need to be totally rewritten. If you aim for something and miss, each limb needs to have different chances for being hit depending on what you aim at. What about special techniques/different weapons? Will a weapon with the “WIDE” technique potentially hit multiple body parts? How does that compare to a bullet that will generally only hit one body part? What if a part is broken/gone? Does it miss or does it assume you hit something else?
  7. Similarly the damage function would need to be rewritten. If multiple parts are hit does it split the damage? What are the fractions on that?
  8. Lastly said system must be integrated with the current codebase. Every monster definition in-game would need to be rewritten to include the new limb listings, and each limb would need to link it’s proportionate size and effects (not to mention you would need to find some easy way to list all of this). Every time damage or hit chance functions were called would need to be updated to the new functions.

As you can see, it’s a fair amount of work required, one that right now doesn’t outweigh the benefit gained. I would like to once again reiterate, however, that this does not mean we won’t add a system if someone makes one. This is an open-source game, so anyone can contribute assuming their code meets our standards. If one of you wants to go and make a system that covers all of the requirements above then we will happily review and merge it (assuming it meets coding standards and whatnot as well). It’s just that as main devs one of the factors we need to weight in our decisions is cost/benefit. “Would we be able to fix more important/beneficial features with the same amount of time?” If so then we are going to work on those.

I apologize in advance if I sound rude, I don’t mean to be.
Can some one explain what would be needed other than:
Add health pools for entities.
Add a menu for targeting said pools.
Add equations for {limb} effects.
Add descriptions for situations. It is blind, limping or grounded and can’t hold a weapon.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:27, topic:2727”]Here’s my basic take on it:
Adding a system is not as simple as it appears (not even considering factors like Kevin discussed in his post).

1. Not all monsters have the same amount or type of limbs. Spiders, for example, would need to have extra limbs while oozes don’t have as many. Some creatures don’t even have some limbs or might have special ones.[/quote]
    Don’t go crazy… Just have {legs} as one target. Spiders would be Face, Eyes, Body, Legs.
    Legs cripple speed. Eyes for sense range. Face is just a Bonus damage.
    Ooze would just be Body… their isn’t any other thing to target.
    Insanely simple IMO.
2) Limbs != effects. Some creatures might use their mouth to attack instead of their arms. Not every creature depends on it's legs to walk. Some might have legs, but still use other limbs to move (wings for example). Therefore limb effects need to be separated from limbs (which complicates storage because each monster needs to store a list of limbs and then link smaller lists of effects to each limb (which is not necessarily an easy task.

Would separating it with something like {Uses this limb to move} {uses this limb to attack} work?
For most things it is legs, wings, tracks. For manhacks and stuff you wouldn’t get the option to aim…
Arms would only be applicable to weapon using humans. Shoot them to make them drop their guns.
Robots would need their guns targetable. To stop them shooting.
What else am I missing.

3) What about hit chances? That's another thing that needs to be differentiated on a per-monster-per-limb basis. Flaming eyes, for example, might have much higher chances of getting hit in their eye body part then zombies do.

Well floating eyes are just eyes no? Their health pool is the only pool. Forget about them…
As for hit chances…I don’t know ask someone who has shot a gun.

4) What about the (planned, hopefully upcoming sometime soon after .8) armor system? That's another set of numbers that must be stored on a per-limb basis.

How complicated is that system? Does it take ammo into consideration or is it just a damage reducer?

If it is just a Damage sink, then apply that to all limbs. Simple.
An ant has an exoskeleton. That is it. Simple Reduction in damage.
Most Z’s don’t have armour.

5) What about martial arts? How would a sweep kick work against something that didn't have legs? Something that floats?

Don’t think that far into it. Just a health pool.

6) The hit function would need to be totally rewritten. If you aim for something and miss, each limb needs to have different chances for being hit depending on what you aim at. What about special techniques/different weapons? Will a weapon with the "WIDE" technique potentially hit multiple body parts? How does that compare to a bullet that will generally only hit one body part? What if a part is broken/gone? Does it miss or does it assume you hit something else?

You are over thinking it. Stop thinking DF (which has been shot down), start thinking simple, we are trying to convince people to code it.
Look at a standard Z.
Head, eyes, torso, legs. Arms don’t do shit so don’t add them. Now let’s assume you miss.

If you aim at the torso(standard aim) the bullet zips past.
If you aim at the legs the bullet zips past
If you aim at the head bullet zips past.
If you aim at the eyes, roll again for hitting the head. The bullet zips past.

Melee is melee. What you hit you damage.
Multi target attacks should be kept at basic aim. Aiming is taking that extra bit of time to well aim…

Also:
You can’t aim a roundhouse kick. It is at the head only. Unless you are retarded.
You can’t aim a sweep kick. It is at the legs. Unless you are retarded.
You CAN aim a push kick.
You CAN aim a side kick.
You CAN aim a punch.

1. Similarly the damage function would need to be rewritten. If multiple parts are hit does it split the damage? What are the fractions on that?

Explosives would be the only thing applicable. I say don’t. Make explosives {Basic aim only}

8) Lastly said system must be integrated with the current codebase. Every monster definition in-game would need to be rewritten to include the new limb listings, and each limb would need to link it's proportionate size and effects (not to mention you would need to find some easy way to list all of this). Every time damage or hit chance functions were called would need to be updated to the new functions.

Include what I said and it is only adding the limbs health, effects, message to display.
Time consuming but not hard.

...it's a fair amount of work required
A lot, yes, but other than the equations it ain't hard.
one that right now doesn't outweigh the benefit gained.
Bull shit. Crippling a hulks legs to run away would be worth it. Blinding a smoker so they don't chase you would be worth it. Breaking a turrets gun so it is defenseless would be worth it. Shooting an NPC's arm so they drop their LAW WOULD BE WORTH IT!

You might as well say Z-levels aren’t worth it.

Yeah but I don’t know how to code. Trollface.jpeg

If I had a full list of monsters handed to me I would put down the relevant limbs and effects.
A beloved coder can then go. “sweet” and type up creature sheets. Or even just tell me how to. I would gladly do that.

Writing creature limbs doesn’t sound hard.
Coding in an extra menu doesn’t sound hard.
Coding in equations doesn’t sound hard.

Coding in a way to make it all work does. All we need is a system for directing damage to limb health pools.

I’m not asking for DF intestine trails. I am asking for another means of survival.

Hulk is 12ft (4 yards, so in excess of 3 meters) tall. Roundhouse…is gonna aim for the leg.

Kevin’s been pushing for generic debuff-attacks: Slow, Disable Weapon, KO, stuff like that. Those can give the effects of a called shot without requiring a full body-part system for every critter. I’m not clear on all the details, but I think Kevin’s got the general idea right, here.

[quote=“KA101, post:29, topic:2727”]Hulk is 12ft (4 yards, so in excess of 3 meters) tall. Roundhouse…is gonna aim for the leg.

Kevin’s been pushing for generic debuff-attacks: Slow, Disable Weapon, KO, stuff like that. Those can give the effects of a called shot without requiring a full body-part system for every critter. I’m not clear on all the details, but I think Kevin’s got the general idea right, here.[/quote]
This right here works, and is much, much easier to code in.

But then, we don’t have the satisfaction to blow up a Hulk’s knee- and elbowcaps one by one before mauling it to death with a paper wrapper.

[quote=“KA101, post:29, topic:2727”]Hulk is 12ft (4 yards, so in excess of 3 meters) tall. Roundhouse…is gonna aim for the leg.

Kevin’s been pushing for generic debuff-attacks: Slow, Disable Weapon, KO, stuff like that. Those can give the effects of a called shot without requiring a full body-part system for every critter. I’m not clear on all the details, but I think Kevin’s got the general idea right, here.[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds pretty nice.

Aaaand I’m pretty much surprised - or maybe even astonished - by the fact that my thread is still floating.

On-topic:
All that “crippling” effects should also add damage_over_time effect caused by bleeding, except for the Z’s. Because Z’s are fucking undead.

A simple implementation would be to allow a player to target a specific body part on command, make the shot more likely to miss based on the part, and if it does at least a certain %% value of the creatures health pool in one strike it causes crippling based on what you hit. Or, for certain things (like eyes), it becomes incredibly hard to hit but if any damage is dealt causes some hindrance. I assume monsters can be blinded?

Quickest implementation I can think of. Doesn’t require multiple health pools, special attacks to be learned, or anything. It does require some extra binary variables attached to the creature array to determine whether or not the creature actually HAS the specific body part, but that is by no means a difficult thing to implement. Just requires a bunch of extra [1]/[0] be added all over the place and a quick if/then when you are choosing to aim your shot to determine what you are allowed to shoot at. If the player chooses not to aim just roll a die if the score a hit to determine what they hit, or just assume they hit the torso.

Game is in c++ right? Pretty sure I saw that said somewhere >.>
If it’s not completely ignore anything I say, it’s the language any assumption I make is based on.

It’s a quick and dirty, but iono. Those are the best kind when you’ve got a billion things to do. Polish after the fact.

Any chance for double yield and throwing knives any time soon?

[quote=“arctan2x, post:34, topic:2727”]A simple implementation would be to allow a player to target a specific body part on command, make the shot more likely to miss based on the part, and if it does at least a certain %% value of the creatures health pool in one strike it causes crippling based on what you hit. Or, for certain things (like eyes), it becomes incredibly hard to hit but if any damage is dealt causes some hindrance. I assume monsters can be blinded?

Quickest implementation I can think of. Doesn’t require multiple health pools, special attacks to be learned, or anything. It does require some extra binary variables attached to the creature array to determine whether or not the creature actually HAS the specific body part, but that is by no means a difficult thing to implement. Just requires a bunch of extra [1]/[0] be added all over the place and a quick if/then when you are choosing to aim your shot to determine what you are allowed to shoot at. If the player chooses not to aim just roll a die if the score a hit to determine what they hit, or just assume they hit the torso.

Game is in c++ right? Pretty sure I saw that said somewhere >.>
If it’s not completely ignore anything I say, it’s the language any assumption I make is based on.

It’s a quick and dirty, but iono. Those are the best kind when you’ve got a billion things to do. Polish after the fact.[/quote]

well, wildlife could be blinded and I suppose zombies could too-- but both would then fall back on scent.

Throwing knives are a simple mater of making them, I added the ability to thow a single item from a stack of items a while back, which was the main thing keeping them from working as they should.

Dual Wield is going to happen some time or another, but if you want dual-wield, you’re probably not going to like how it works, because it will assess realistic penalties for your actions, so it will rarely be beneficial combat-wise to dual-wield weapons.

So… Having 2 shields in each hand is gonna be bad?

Two shields in each hand is not going to be possible :stuck_out_tongue:
Weapon and shield will likely be a valid combination, whether the weapon is a one-handed melee weapon or a pistol, because the defensive bonuses may well be worth the attack penalties.

What I’m referring to is two pistols, two swords, or other such absurdities. This leaves e.g. Escrima out in the cold, which is a legitimate two-weapon style, but frankly a martial art based primarally on inflicting pain and breaking joints isn’t going to get you far in the Cataclysm anyway…

So dual wielding pistols are ok… Maybe SMGs? Anyway, on shields, maybe there can be three ‘kinds’ of shields. Like a small , medium and a large shield.
Small shield that you strap onto your arm for faster maneuvering and such, but is… small. Not much blocking going on unless your fast enough (Dex thing?) and you can hold something else in that hand. Medium shield will be held in your hand and is… medium. Gives alright cover and protection. Large shield is going to be held in your hand, probably heavy, but is gonna be a huge thing covering your body. Do not recommend hitting anything while using the large shield.

Freaking hate writing out ideas, it seems so prefect in my head but comes out as… something else.