Achievement and score system?

how about an achievement and score system. so we can compare how we are doing and setup challenge games?

– survive a certain number of days
– number of characters survive a certain number of days
– good at certain skills
– kills, points for killing stuff
– burning down buildings
– if npcs come back, you can have ‘murderer’ as an archivement for killing npcs
– crafting ones

etc…

Nice, but I’d rather see, instead of just a kill list, a big page when you die showing all your stats. Tiles walked, things crafted, windows/doors smashed, stuff like that.
That way, we could screen shot it as a badge of honor. It would basically be achievements.

But I agree, some sort of points system would be amazing. Maybe for the kill list, somebody on the fourms should assign each creature a point value, so you can tally up your score when you die.

We could dwarf this out big time. You could earn titles for doing certain things (like clearing a town or wood-peckering a hulk) and, when you die, you will show up on a dwarf fortress like leaderboard showing some of your major achievements and with your title beside your name.

Yeah, LazyCat wanted this pretty bad. Trouble is that it leads to standardization at best, and DoomRL’s content-locks and titling system at worst. I don’t think either would make Cata a better game, even if leaderboard tracking was kept to its own mode (same menu as Defense/Tutorial).

But then I just finished counter-lecturing someone over in General Discussion on “proper” roguelike play, so you may or may not want my opinion.

I’m itching for a good debate myself. Summer is dead boring, especially when all you have to look forward to is a whole new school and having to build a whole new network of friends and debtors. Well, college, but still. I’d love the chance for some social warfare right about now.

Honestly, though, proper rogueliking to me generally revolves around this simple algorithm:

if canDoShit and Dumb==false
DO IT!
else if dumb== true
DO IT ANYWAYS!
else
Screw you guys, I’m a gonna do it anyways.

This generally leads to a very fiery cocaine fueled, blindfolded, bear pelt wearing, butter knife wielding death relatively quickly. Or I go on to become feared across the post apocalyptic wasteland as “The Butter”, spreading fear in the hearts of zombies and edible spreads everywhere.

the idea for the achievement system was just a starter idea. I think if we get an achievement structure put in, people can add achievements pretty easily. plus if we can get a place to upload them like with TOME and the plan for ADOM it would be fun.

[quote=“drake1storm, post:5, topic:1954”]This generally leads to a very fiery cocaine fueled, blindfolded, bear pelt wearing, butter knife wielding death relatively quickly. Or I go on to become feared across the post apocalyptic wasteland as “The Butter”, spreading fear in the hearts of zombies and edible spreads everywhere.
[/quote]
I implore than you name your main weapon “I Cant Believe Its Not Terror!”

and I dont want a proper build in points and titles syatem. I just would love more random stats on the game over screen.

We could also forgo points, but keep the leaderboard idea. They wouldn’t be sorted by points, but each would have a title next to their name based on what they did and what killed them. Some would be funny, others would be serious.

“Bear Bait”: Almost immediately got ripped to shreds by a bear

“Chewy”: Sustain critical damage on multiple occasions, and refuse to die until the very end.

“Derby Master”: Do immense destruction destruction in vehicles, only to ultimately die from it.

“MAcGyver”: Never use a real weapon unless you personally made it.

“Streaker”: Die without pants

“Cocaine-Bear”: While under the influence of cocaine, murder countless poor, cocaineless, zombies and eat at least one of their corpses.

So is there a branch on github that can be worked on for achievements?

If people really want stuff like tile, easier mods, achivements it might make sense to do an organized push to clean up and abstract the code base. It doesn’t really look like a standard game engine at all.

I’m generally for more of this kind of thing, but be aware that annotating all the places where actions happen is kind of a pain, we’ve already have one person get started on it and then give up. As placeybordeaux notes, the current state of the code makes an achievements system more difficult to implement than t could be.

That’s generally not how github works, feel free to fork the project, make improvements, and request that they be merged. Ideally you can coordinate here, in the github issue tracker, and in our IRC channel, which will minimise the risk of you working on something that doesn’t get merged.

If you mean “Is anyone working on this currently?”, no one is.

I’m not sure what you mean by “organized push”. We are continuously working on cleaning up and rearchitecting the code base, it’s a process, not a single task. If you’d like to propose specific cleanups or undertake them yourself, please feel free.