Achievements, new traits, and scores

Achievements

How about we start adding achievements. Then the game can keep track of different achivements. Simple stuff like
– killed 10 of some kind of zombie
– crafted X stuff
– cleared a town
– zombie child murderer
– challenge achievements : vegetarian, pacifist. find a way to play without killing something that is NOT already dead.

can get more robust later on. Add a point system to it.

Loading High Scores online
– could make the game fun if we can have a place to have profiles of good characters on line like they do in Tome and Dungeon Crawl?

– New Trains
How about traits that are more life like? Lets face it most people are not super human. So lets give them common human issues (and some funny ones)

– flat feet (I actually have flat feet). have to have orthotics or you take a hit to your speed and pain in your feet. can limit some shoes
– hemroids: you get a bad rash on your ass at times that slows you down and causes pain. must be treated with hemroid cream. affects morale. embarrasment morale when adding NPCs back
– Allergies: Spring is bad for you. you sneeze. need claritin to control. Need Air purifier to help in your house. sneezing adds noise
– Enlarged Prostate (for our aging survivors). hurts to pee.
– Cavity in your tooth. more likely to get if you eat sugary treats. but anyone can get. hardcore survivors need to pull it out. causes massive pain. need drugs to control pain to function

[quote=“youtoo, post:1, topic:1539”]Achievements

How about we start adding achievements. Then the game can keep track of different achivements. Simple stuff like
– killed 10 of some kind of zombie
– crafted X stuff
– cleared a town
– zombie child murderer
– challenge achievements : vegetarian, pacifist. find a way to play without killing something that is NOT already dead.

can get more robust later on. Add a point system to it.

Loading High Scores online
– could make the game fun if we can have a place to have profiles of good characters on line like they do in Tome and Dungeon Crawl?

– New Trains
How about traits that are more life like? Lets face it most people are not super human. So lets give them common human issues (and some funny ones)

– flat feet (I actually have flat feet). have to have orthotics or you take a hit to your speed and pain in your feet. can limit some shoes
– hemroids: you get a bad rash on your ass at times that slows you down and causes pain. must be treated with hemroid cream. affects morale. embarrasment morale when adding NPCs back
– Allergies: Spring is bad for you. you sneeze. need claritin to control. Need Air purifier to help in your house. sneezing adds noise
– Enlarged Prostate (for our aging survivors). hurts to pee.
– Cavity in your tooth. more likely to get if you eat sugary treats. but anyone can get. hardcore survivors need to pull it out. causes massive pain. need drugs to control pain to function[/quote]
Good ideas, but i don’t think you actually CAN pee.
I’m sorry for your flat feet.

Put in attention deficit disorder, and you actually have to use adderal as intended.

-- hemroids: you get a bad rash on your ass at times that slows you down and causes pain. must be treated with hemroid cream. affects morale. embarrasment morale when adding NPCs back

Hemorrhoids aren’t a rash lol. It’s your large intestine being pulled or pushed out of your…cough anal hole cough, not a rash.

Uh, LazyCat’s already restricting the MGS mod to support these. Aaannnd people are getting annoyed at that fact.

Perhaps scorekeeping can stay out of mainline?

In-game achievements aren’t on any of the planned feature lists that I’m aware of. I expect that will remain true, regardless of what mods do or don’t do.

Personally, I don’t think achievements are a very good fit for Cataclysm anyway. They work fine in ToME, which is a lot more goal-oriented (and some of those achievements are hard enough to keep my completionism from kicking in), but I see Cataclysm as a very different kind of game. If someone wants to try writing the necessary code, that’s fine, but personally I think the game wouldn’t really benefit from achievements (and might actually suffer a bit - intrinsic vs. extrinsic rewards, and all that).

Again, extrinsic rewards aren’t something I want in Cataclysm. There are SO many reasons why not. Here’s an example, from a game I like (Don’t Starve)

1. They first had goals- fulfilling them gave you nothing.
  2. People would spend all their resources doing that task instead of playing the game and exploring on their own.
  3. When all the goals were accomplished, they stopped playing.

When the devs removed those goals (but gave a jumping off point so people had an idea of what to try to do) people enjoyed the game much more; they had INTRINSIC fun, which is FUN GAINED BY PLAYING instead of EXTRINSIC fun, which is FUN GAINED BY AN EXTERNAL SOURCE.

I think you’re talking about the guest post on Penny Arcade Report that the Don’t Starve devs wrote. Leaving the link here for people.

Is this all IRC talk? Am I intrinsic or is it Pthalocy? Are you barring stuff from us? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just dug in, it’s in Canadian. There you go. :smiley: