About Chinese characters

Hello everyone

I am living in Taiwan and my main language is Chinese.
My friends and I love DDA, we all love survival + crafting + zombie games.
But some friends just can’t understand English well.
So I tried to translate some messages in game to Chinese and failed.

I know I can choose ttf in FONTDATA, but game seems only read English characters.
The Chinese characters will show nothing but space character " ".

Is it possible to make DDA support Chinese words?

What are you wanting to translate? The item names? Or…

EDIT: If its the things like the “Z” for zombies the I guess data->RAW->monstergroups MIGHT be able to change them…but im not sure, im not that knowledgeable about this sorta stuff

I would like to translate everything in game if possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not a problem play with ascii tiles.
I wanna translate some skills or messages first.
Something like “dodge = 閃躲” , “melee = 近戰” <-- can see Chinese?

I know where to change them, but game didn’t show words correctly.

Where can you change them? Ima try and see if theyre supported when I do it

EDIT: Oh I see, in the skills section, ima try now.

[quote=“Cibo, post:3, topic:1064”]I would like to translate everything in game if possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know where to change them, but game didn’t show words currently.[/quote]
What about doing it in Pinyin? Just a suggestion.

[quote=“Caconym, post:5, topic:1064”][quote=“Cibo, post:3, topic:1064”]I would like to translate everything in game if possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

What about doing it in Pinyin? Just a suggestion.[/quote]

I was actually thinking about using that. And nope, I tried using those characters and they just ended up as " "

[quote=“Caconym, post:5, topic:1064”][quote=“Cibo, post:3, topic:1064”]I would like to translate everything in game if possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for suggestion, but we don’t use Pinyin in Taiwan.
Pinyin more difficult than English for Taiwan ppl. XD

you could just write it down on paper for them as a easy quick solution for the stats (eg dodge=閃躲) but ya know…im a tad weird like that

[quote=“AerialK7, post:6, topic:1064”][quote=“Caconym, post:5, topic:1064”][quote=“Cibo, post:3, topic:1064”]I would like to translate everything in game if possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was actually thinking about using that. And nope, I tried using those characters and they just ended up as " "[/quote]

I know the problem is DDA just read English ttf characters.
English ttf is include A~Z and a~z and @#$% those symbles.
Chinese ttf is include not only those in English but also thousands or more Chinese characters.
DDA doesn’t read more than English characters. I guess DDA limited characters loading just English range bytes.

:smiley: SO MY SOLUTION IS BEST man im lazy…

Surely I can just make a translate list paper. XD
But that really not helpful if we wanna introduce this cool game to a new one.
Especially DDA has a ascii face already. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well…If I knew Chinese (which I dont, and im learning Japanese) Id make a list for you. It wouldnt take a horrible amount of time

I think it is not currently possible to easily translate the game into a different language (Or at least one with a non ascii charset). Sorry about that.

As you have probably noticed proper chinese (or any unicode) support is very rare. I do however love the idea of using the chinese (or any non western) character set for a roguelike.

“The 閃 throws a car at your head.”

(I have no clue what 閃 means).

But the best (and only) way to properly do this is to implement unicode support. Which is a shitload of annoying work.

OR write it down on paper :wink:

What? That does not make sense.

I’m seriously trying to say that there is a very low chance of DDA getting proper unicode support. (which sucks).

Well, you could translate it to paper as a short term solution…

I just confuse why DDA can’t load Chinese characters in ttf.
It loads English characters in same ttf.

Cataclysm is having issues with Chinese characters in TTF files because it’s not set up to handle Unicode. In part, that’s because some portions of Cataclysm still interact with software that assumes everything is ASCII - specifically, it assumes that the total number of characters is no greater than 128 (or maybe 256). Unfortunately, that doesn’t really work for something like Chinese, which has thousands of characters. Making it so that Cataclysm can use Unicode would definitely be good, but it might also be very tricky (especially since the original author left us very messy code, when he stopped working on Cataclysm).

I was going to mention a potential workaround involving zhuyin fuhao, but now that I think of it, that would have technical issues as well.

Now, looking into Unicode support… On Linux, we’d need to use a version of ncurses that supports Unicode. I found some instructions here, and a little bit of example and discussion here.

On Windows, we’d need to edit catacurse.cpp and catacurse.h to use a larger variable than char for text. I’ve pushed a test version to my copy of the repository, but I honestly have no idea if that will work (since it’s using code that I can’t test, as I’m on Linux).

So, assuming you’re on Windows (due to the talk of TTF), maybe try that test version I have? Can’t guarantee it’ll work, but there’s a chance it will help.

[quote=“Soron, post:19, topic:1064”]Cataclysm is having issues with Chinese characters in TTF files because it’s not set up to handle Unicode. In part, that’s because some portions of Cataclysm still interact with software that assumes everything is ASCII - specifically, it assumes that the total number of characters is no greater than 128 (or maybe 256). Unfortunately, that doesn’t really work for something like Chinese, which has thousands of characters. Making it so that Cataclysm can use Unicode would definitely be good, but it might also be very tricky (especially since the original author left us very messy code, when he stopped working on Cataclysm).

I was going to mention a potential workaround involving zhuyin fuhao, but now that I think of it, that would have technical issues as well.

Now, looking into Unicode support… On Linux, we’d need to use a version of ncurses that supports Unicode. I found some instructions here, and a little bit of example and discussion here.

On Windows, we’d need to edit catacurse.cpp and catacurse.h to use a larger variable than char for text. I’ve pushed a test version to my copy of the repository, but I honestly have no idea if that will work (since it’s using code that I can’t test, as I’m on Linux).

So, assuming you’re on Windows (due to the talk of TTF), maybe try that test version I have? Can’t guarantee it’ll work, but there’s a chance it will help.[/quote]

Very thanks.
I will try and report. :smiley:

Guess I have to learn how to compile it in windows.